A teacher's view

GibsonByBirth

Banned
Reaction score
Subject: Illegal Immigration !

EYE OPENING!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cheap Tomatoes

This English teacher has phrased it the best I've seen yet.

This should make everyone think, be you Democrat, Republican or Independent

From a California school teacher - - - (who is brave enough to put her name, address, phone no. etc. on this message!)

"As you listen to the news about the student protests over illegal immigration, there are some things that you should be aware of:

I am in charge of the English-as-a-second-language department at a large southern California high school which is designated a Title 1 school, meaning that its students average lower socioeconomic and income levels

Most of the schools you are hearing about, South Gate High, Bell Gardens , Huntington Park , etc., where these students are protesting, are also Title 1 schools.

Title 1 schools are on the free breakfast and free lunch program. When I say free breakfast, I'm not talking a glass of milk and roll -- but a full breakfast and cereal bar with fruits and juices that would make a Marriott proud. The waste of this food is monumental, with trays and trays of it being dumped in the trash uneaten.

I estimate that well over 50% of these students are obese or at least moderately overweight. About 75% or more DO have cell phones. The school also provides day care centers for the unwed teenage pregnant girls (some as young as 13) so they can attend class without the inconvenience of having to arrange for babysitters or having family watch their kids.

I was ordered to spend $700,000 on my department or risk losing funding for the upcoming year even though there was little need for anything; my budget was already substantial. I ended up buying new computers for the computer learning center, half of which, one month later, have been carved with graffiti by the appreciative students who obviously feel humbled and grateful to have a free education in America ..

I have had to intervene several times for young and substitute teachers whose classes consist of many illegal immigrant students, here in the country less then 3 months, who raised so much hell with the female teachers, calling them "Putas"(whores) and throwing things, that the teachers were in tears.

Free medical, free education, free food, free day care etc., etc, etc. Is it any wonder they feel entitled to not only be in this country but to demand rights, privileges and entitlements?

To those who want to point out how much these illegal immigrants contribute to our society because they LIKE their gardener and housekeeper and they like to pay less for tomatoes: spend some time in the real world of illegal immigration and see the TRUE costs.

Higher insurance, medical facilities closing, higher medical costs, more crime, lower standards of education in our schools, overcrowding, new diseases. For me, I'll pay more for tomatoes.

Americans, We need to wake up.

It does, however, have everything to do with culture: It involves an American third-world culture that does not value education, that accepts children getting pregnant and dropping out of school by 15 and that refuses to assimilate, and an American culture that has become so weak and worried about “political correctness" that we don't have the will to do anything about it.

If this makes your blood boil, as it did mine, forward this to everyone you know.

CHEAP LABOR? Isn't that what the whole immigration issue is about?

Business doesn't want to pay a decent wage.

Consumers don't want expensive produce.

Government will tell you Americans don't want the jobs.

But the bottom line is cheap labor. The phrase "cheap labor" is a myth, a farce, and a lie. There is no such thing as "cheap labor."

Take, for example, an illegal alien with a wife and five children. He takes a job for $5.00 or 6.00/hour. At that wage, with six dependents, he pays no income tax, yet at the end of the year, if he files an Income Tax Return, he gets an "earned income credit" of up to $3,200 free.

He qualifies for Section 8 housing and subsidized rent.

He qualifies for food stamps.

He qualifies for free (no deductible, no co-pay) health care.

His children get free breakfasts and lunches at school.

He requires bilingual teachers and books.

He qualifies for relief from high energy bills.

If they are, or become, aged, blind or disabled, they qualify for SSI. If qualified for SSI they can qualify for Medicare. All of this is at (OUR) taxpayer's expense.

He doesn't worry about car insurance, life insurance, or homeowners insurance.

Taxpayers provide Spanish language signs, bulletins and printed material.

He and his family receive the equivalent of $20.00 to $30.00/hour in benefits.

Working Americans are lucky to have $5.00 or $6..00/hour left after paying their bills AND his.

Cheap labor? YEAH RIGHT!

THESE ARE THE QUESTIONS WE SHOULD BE ADDRESSING TO THE CONGRESSIONAL MEMBERS OF EITHER PARTY. 'AND WHEN THEY LIE TO US AND DON'T DO AS THEY SAY, WE SHOULD REPLACE THEM .

Please pass this on to as many as possible. Immigration legislation is to be considered in 2010. This is important to working Americans, our economy and our American culture and heritage..

Grace Gan

Ukiah Unified School District

925 N. State St.

Ukiah, CA 95482

Tel. 707-463-5214 Alt. 707-463-5200

Fax: 707-463-2120

mono

Reaction score
That lady has got a pair for sure!

geochem1st

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Same story different bigotry, nothing new:

"It is virtually impossible to overstate how notorious the lower Manhattan neighborhood called the Five Points was throughout the 1800s. It was said to be the roost of gang members and criminals of all types, and was particularly known as the home turf of flamboyant gangs of Irish immigrants."

"The reputation of the Five Points was so widespread that when the world famous author Charles Dickens visited New York, the chronicler of London's underside wanted to see it for himself.

Dickens: "The Five Points, in the mid-1800s, was known primarily as an Irish neighborhood. The public perception at the time was that the Irish, many of whom were fleeing the Great Famine, were criminal by nature. And the appalling slum conditions and pervasive crime of the Five Points only contributed to that attitude.
While the neighborhood was predominantly Irish in the 1850s, there were also African-Americans, Italians, and various other immigrant groups."

In 1882, Congress began to pass legislation limiting immigration. This first immigration act levied a fifty-cent tax on each immigrant and prohibited people previously convicted of political offences, "lunatics," and those likely to become public charges. In 1891, legislation established the Bureau of Immigration within the Treasury Department and made polygamists, those afflicted with a "loathsome" or "dangerous" disease, and those convicted of a crime involving "moral turpitude" disqualified for immigration.

In 1917, Congress chose to override Woodrow Wilson's presidential veto to enact legislation that required a literacy test for immigration - an adult immigrant had to be able to read forty words in any language. This legislation also barred immigration from Asia except Japan and the Philippines. Following American involvement in the First World War (1917-1918), anti-immigrant sentiment grew as thousands of people from war-torn Europe flooded the U.S.

In 1920-1921, approximately 800,000 people came to the United States; about two-thirds of that number were from southern and eastern Europe. In 1921, Congress enacted the Emergency Quota Act, the first quantitative immigration law. This stopgap legislation restricted the number of immigrants by their country of origin. Only 3% of the number of persons from that nation living in the U.S., according to the 1910 census, were allowed to immigrate.

The Immigration Act of 1924 made the quota system permanent and reduced the percentage allowed into the U.S. from 3% based on the 1910 census to 2% based on the 1890 census numbers. This change from the 1910 to the 1890 census shifted the nationality totals to a time when relatively few southern and eastern European immigrants had arrived. The legislation was enacted in order to limit more "New Immigrants" from arriving and essentially the U.S. closed itself to mass immigration.

Sound familiar?

Rich

Non sequitur
Reaction score

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yeah my great-great grandparents were in one of the early waves of italian immigrants that came through Elis island. They broke their backs to learn the language, work hard and assimilate and were proud as hell when they could finally call themselves Americans.

I don't see the similarities.

I like the original post. It makes a lot of points that people don't want to admit or discuss. There comes a point when your kindness is taken as a weakness, and that's how we're viewed nowadays. A weak, too PC country that doesn't want to offend anyone.

edit: unless they're muslim. It's still perfectly ok to talk a lot of trash about them. They're our new boogeyman. Guess we had to do something once all the Nazi, Commie, and Cubans, stuff burned out. Seem's like we always need a bad guy to point at.

geochem1st

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I love Google...

Not that there isn't some basis in truth, but Grace Gan is a secretary for Ukiah Unified School District, not a teacher. Not sure how she got the responsibility of determining how $700,000 budgets should be spent let alone what department she oversees.

Ukiah Unified School District: Home

Secretary II Job Description, from Business & Legal Reports - Business White Papers, Webcasts and Case Studies | BNET

She was punished and demoted for speaking the truth!

GibsonByBirth

Banned
Reaction score
So if someone opposes a group, they must be biggots? That's awful narrow-minded thinking.

Kamen_Kaiju

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
So if someone opposes a group, they must be biggots? That's awful narrow-minded thinking.

that's the way things seem to be these days. Disagree with the Gvt and you're a terrorist or a sympathizer. Disagree with the illegal immigration issue and you're a bigot. Get upset over race issues and you're racist (if you're white, if you're not white it's still ok to hate everyone.)

Strange times indeed.

GibsonByBirth

Banned
Reaction score
A sign in the Phoenix protests.

image002.jpg

geochem1st

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yeah my great-great grandparents were in one of the early waves of italian immigrants that came through Elis island. They broke their backs to learn the language, work hard and assimilate and were proud as hell when they could finally call themselves Americans.

I don't see the similarities.

I like the original post. It makes a lot of points that people don't want to admit or discuss. There comes a point when your kindness is taken as a weakness, and that's how we're viewed nowadays. A weak, too PC country that doesn't want to offend anyone.

The comparison is that the new group of immigrants are always villified. Many of the new immigrants changed and 'americanized' thier last names to avoid persecution - this was a key motive for assimilation. They worked hard because the only jobs available were the ones that nobody else wanted to do. Try living the life of a mexican migrant worker and tell me its not hard work.

Coming form New York, one can see that groups really don't assimilate, and if they do it takes lifetimes to acheive. Many groups haven't for decades... otherwise you wouldn't have neighborhoods called 'China Town' or 'Little Italy'.. where foreign languages are spoken in the streets and store signs reflect the same. It takes a long, long time to assimilate.

Like with the Irish in the 1800's, except they had it a bit easier, at least they had a anglic language and were white.

rybass

Reaction score
I love Google...

Not that there isn't some basis in truth, but Grace Gan is a secretary for Ukiah Unified School District, not a teacher. Not sure how she got the responsibility of determining how $700,000 budgets should be spent let alone what department she oversees.

:laugh2::laugh2:

I love how these mass emails are always “made” legitimate by a real contact that can easily be debunked. It's also awesome how they are always way on the right side of the fence. Paranoia and fear spreading through the internet; whoda thunk it??

kmk108

Reaction score
Like with the Irish in the 1800's, except they had it a bit easier, at least they had a anglic language and were white.

Are you assuming that this is purely on racism?

I may be wrong, but wasn't America legally letting the European immigrants in through Ellis Island and other ports?

geochem1st

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Are you assuming that this is purely on racism?

I may be wrong, but wasn't America legally letting the European immigrants in through Ellis Island and other ports?

If you read my first post that lists the history of immigration, the numbers clamped down very hard early on for 'legal immigration. And not everybody went through Ellis Island. Long Island was well known because of its many coves and bays to be drop off points for illegal immigration at the turn of the 19th century. It is very difficult to be a legal immigrant, hence the numbers of illegals... this was true in the 1920's as well.

I am assuming nothing. The subject is a very complex one. Does racism play a part? Absolutely. The Irish were considered an sloth, unkempt, criminal 'race' by the Americans who were here before them. Same with the Italians and other immigrant groups.

Kamen_Kaiju

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

This being the same irish who were treated like dirt along with the chinese? The ones who helped build the railroads because places were hanging signs that said, "Help Wanted-No Irish Need Apply?"

Yeah, guess that's a bit easier.

In my experiences when you live in a neighborhood or city that's been taken over by a type of people that can't speak your language, want everything handed to them, and seem to look down on everybody (including their own women) it's hard to stay all nice and politically correct and keep putting the welcome mat out.

My car has been hit and run 6 times in the past few years and broken into 3 times since I've lived in a now spanish neighborhood. You stop feeling friendly after awhile.

Latest Threads