A special NGD: '89 Black Beauty, UNPLAYED, Scorpions connection.

leofender55

Reaction score
I just picked up this '89 Black Beauty which has been sitting in the case since new. Here's the story: The Scorpions gave this beauty to their road manager, Mr. Dave Davis, as a gift in 1989. He doesn't play guitar so it sat in the case all these years. He brought it into my friends music store to sell and I got first shot at it. It came with a typed and signed note from Matthias Jabs noting the serial number and date. Original cost was $450, and I paid a little more than that.

It had the original strings, which were replaced and the neck needed some tweaking, which was done over several days. It weighs just at 10 lbs. Of course I played it and it's very nice, the neck carve is very close to my 2005 Faded with a 50's neck.

I should mention that my wife bought it for me for all the home improvements I've been doing. DSCN0107.jpg I'm one lucky guy.

Attachments

KS 5150

Reaction score
That's awesome, congrats!! I've got it's slightly weathered sister..:D

Veeing Fly

Reaction score
89 LPC, huh? You better rock that thing like a hurricane on a big city night, because there's no one like, well, you get the idea.

Toogy

Reaction score
man if you paid close to $450, that is the deal of the century!! Congrats!! looks like a killer guitar and a cool history.

Farquad

Reaction score
That's really cool. Congrats on the wife and guitar!!

GERRYGTR62

Reaction score
Whoa, very cool!! Your wife didn't pay $450.00 or less for that now, did you?

leofender55

Reaction score
OK, so let me clarify something: I should have written "I paid a LITTLE more than that" It was a joke, the original cost to the Scorpions was $450. I paid $2400 for it, still a great deal. Sorry for the confusion. And since I'm at it I might add that it came with the original chainsaw type case, also immaculate. I HATE it. I will be getting an appropriate Custom Shop case for it very soon.

leofender55

Reaction score
After playing it for a day, I'm not impressed with the pickups. My research shows they may be the Bill Lawrence circuit board ones. I have 4 Lesters and two have Burstbucker 1 & 2 and the other has Burstbucker Pros. Any info on the Lawrence pups? They seem a little weak to my ears. I'm thinking Duncan Antiquities or perhaps a set of repro Black Beauty single coils, but I would like to keep the gold covers so maybe not those... any suggestions?

Latest Threads