A Slight Dilemma- Standard 50’s Search for Right One!

Voxman2027

Reaction score
Hello Everyone
I finally decided on which Epiphone Les Paul model I was wanting to purchase. The Epiphone Standard 50’s...
The problem now is I am dead set on seeing the guitar either in person or the actual photos of the guitar online.
It is very important to me that I see the coloration and top figuration. In the past I’ve seen some really nice matched tops and ideal coloration. However that was months and months ago and as some of you probably know this particular model is nowhere to be found in stores. To make matters worse, there are few online stores that even have one in stock. When I reach out to the stores, I get the same story that I can order one to ship to store so I can come in and check it out. Of course this involves actually buying the guitar, which if I don’t like it, I can get refund and keep looking. I understand things aren’t normal out there in e-commerce land anymore but I’m very insistent that I get the guitar I want. All the online stores have been helpful but tell me the same story.... I have to order guitar and if I don’t like it, send it back (I pay shipping costs and the refund I would receive is minus the stores shipping costs).
With that said, I’m beginning to think the photo of the guitar of my dreams I saw on Sweetwater really isn’t a normal representation of the current (or upcoming) guitars for sale. Every stock photo I’ve found recently is quite different from the Sweetwater photo I’ve included here.
So the question is, am I just wanting something that doesn’t really exist or do I just need to patient to find a guitar with a close match to photo below? Thanks all for advice and comments.
Voxman
A9E0CA8A-D770-4155-B747-1C27884B5537.png

DrBGood

Reaction score
Sweetwater usually shows the actual guitars they have in store. That's what I like about them. If they don't have it in stock, like the one above, I guess they can't show it to you.

For example:

Untitled-1.jpg

SlyStrat

Reaction score
Wait until they are in stock at Sweetwater.
I won't buy a guitar without pics and weight.

Voxman2027

Reaction score
Sweetwater usually shows the actual guitars they have in store. That's what I like about them. If they don't have it in stock, like the one above, I guess they can't show it to you.

For example:

Thanks for advice, however my sales rep at Sweetwater told me this:
We do offer that service when there is a surplus of guitars to choose from. The problem is when we have extended back-orders with dozens of customers waiting on guitars to come in, in that case we don't have the ability to offer multiple serial #'s to choose from.

The 50-60's reissue Epiphone's are always hot sellers and it's very uncommon for us to have multiple in stock for any length of time.
So it appears that’s not an option for me...
Thanks just the same
Voxman

Rob the Photog

Reaction score
Did you ask your Sweetwater rep if there's any way they can keep an eye out for one that looks a lot like the one in that image? Not sure if they'd be willing to do that, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Second choice: I'm not a big fan of Guitar Center in general, but if I were in your situation that's probably the next place I'd try. Reason being, you can order online and return in-store with no hassle, new items over a certain price point usually have free shipping, you can get it shipped to the store so if it arrives damaged then you don't have to prove anything, and as long as they don't think you're abusing the system you can do this as much as you like. I've done it 3 times: once with a brand new guitar that I didn't like once I was able to play it, so I returned it on the spot; once with a used item that, again, I didn't like once I got my hands on it (I had to eat the shipping cost on that one since it was a used item); and once with a used pedal that ened up being busted, so I was able to get a full refund on both the item and the shipping. Now, if you order the same guitar 3 or 4 times and keep returning it, they'll probably tell you they can't continue to accommodate that, but if you only do it once or twice (order 1, and if you don't like it then order a replacement) then you'll probably get away with it. Of course, this only works well if you have a GC within a reasonable distance. But, there's no guarantee that you'll end up with THE guitar that you're after in the looks department, either.

The only other options I can think of are Reverb or looking for a used one, because in either of those cases you often see photos of the exact item for sale (unless the Reverb seller posts only stock photos).

Just my 2¢. Good luck.

north east al

Reaction score
I bought mine in UK online recently and chose the only site that let me choose which one I wanted, i.e. Choice if weight and flame. I wanted the lightest but the finish on the one slightly heavier looked much better. I wasn't disappointed. You could always go for the gold, then you only need to worry about weight. . For what is worth, they are great and I did get the chance to try them out back in February when visiting London. Just waited for a good deal and the sunburst I saw in London looked awful compared to mine.

Voxman2027

Reaction score
Great advice everyone!
Wrench in the works now...
I just received a notice for Sweetwater that this particular model is now in stock... I don’t know anything about this model and how it compares with my first choice shown above in previous post.

I certainly like the coloration but the figuration is pretty plain. Also I don’t know anything about the Alnico type pickups offered on this model. How does this model compare sonically / construction materials versus my first choice? I’m also hoping that if this model showed up then maybe they’ll be getting some of the other LPs that are my original first choice. Think I’ll give my sales rep a call!

PS Having issues trying to post the photo as it is too large according to message I’m getting here when I try to attach it.

Voxman2027

Reaction score
Forgive me as I am feeble minded lately...
Another photo this time with the model info D2D5F89A-80C9-4877-A9CE-2215BF9D9282.jpeg

north east al

Reaction score
I didn't like the neck on them, that's why I chose the 50s standard. Pickups are different too and I wasn't interested in coil taps and phase switching. The standards are getting rave reviews for good reason. Hope you like this one tho, I do like the look of the zebras with a heritage burst.

Street Lethal

Reaction score
Hello Everyone
I finally decided on which Epiphone Les Paul model I was wanting to purchase. The Epiphone Standard 50’s...
The problem now is I am dead set on seeing the guitar either in person or the actual photos of the guitar online.
It is very important to me that I see the coloration and top figuration. In the past I’ve seen some really nice matched tops and ideal coloration. However that was months and months ago and as some of you probably know this particular model is nowhere to be found in stores. To make matters worse, there are few online stores that even have one in stock. When I reach out to the stores, I get the same story that I can order one to ship to store so I can come in and check it out. Of course this involves actually buying the guitar, which if I don’t like it, I can get refund and keep looking. I understand things aren’t normal out there in e-commerce land anymore but I’m very insistent that I get the guitar I want. All the online stores have been helpful but tell me the same story.... I have to order guitar and if I don’t like it, send it back (I pay shipping costs and the refund I would receive is minus the stores shipping costs).
With that said, I’m beginning to think the photo of the guitar of my dreams I saw on Sweetwater really isn’t a normal representation of the current (or upcoming) guitars for sale. Every stock photo I’ve found recently is quite different from the Sweetwater photo I’ve included here.
So the question is, am I just wanting something that doesn’t really exist or do I just need to patient to find a guitar with a close match to photo below? Thanks all for advice and comments.
Voxman
View attachment 506734

You can always try buying one from Reverb. I bought my 50's Standard in CB from there about three months ago. It was listed as used but mint and the guy sent me a load of pictures so I could see the top, fretboard, bridge height, etc...I got it for $400. I was doubtful that it was really mint but it is. I don't usually go to Reverb often, I just happened to check it out at the right time.

Last edited:

Latest Threads