A Senseless Loss - new way to lose a Co-worker

'Hege

Reaction score
Sorry. I simply can’t carry this one myself.

<deep breath>

It’s one thing to lose a friend and a co-worker through retirement, sickness, layoffs, and other opportunities pursued. These things all have normalized over my lifetime, maybe yours too. It’s just the result of having known too many summers, is my best guess.

That being said, it’s another thing when a person is literally struck down by another human and broken away from his life, his family, friends, and co-workers.

I feel there is a lot of tension in the fabric of life right now. Normally held quiet feelings, sometimes raw, often angry and simmering, lie just below the surface, and can erupt at even the slightest offhand comment (even at a family BBQ) and lead to a more violent exchange, a physical confrontation that results in dire consequences.

In these exchanges there are no winners.

Those left standing may face long days in small, concrete rooms, their own families left fatherless by their absence, sometimes for long periods. Those broken on the ground, and likely their families, may face far worse.

In this instance one man died after a month long coma, and after that death, another man learned some new words… starting with “Manslaughter.” Two families will be fatherless, one for a significantly longer time, albeit.

It is a shame that our most important organ and literally our soul, is housed in such a fragile eggshell of a casing, and once broken, typically we are powerless to do anything but hope.

I simply hoped the man lived. He did not.

He was put into a medically induced coma for 2 weeks following the beating. When they brought him out of the coma, he never responded and everything in his body shut down in two weeks.

He came to work here as a 17 yr old. A loyal and trusted Employee for 30 yrs+, a leader in one of our important departments. I’ve had the pleasure of working with him for over 13 years, and now my succession planning kicks in, and his replacement has already taken over the load.

Rest in Peace, Brother. We will miss you.

Of course, in my younger days, fighting happened too. (lol old guy shouts at the sky)

But after you knocked a guy down a few times, split a lip or bloodied a nose, it was over. No one pummeled a helpless guy, hell, no one even LET someone pummel a helpless combatant, no matter your side in the argument.

Sorry, Rant over.

You know how it is. Sometimes you just need to unload.

Thanks all. Just for listening (reading)

Olds442

Reaction score
i think there are a lot of reason why people are strung so tightly these days. all of which, if mentioned, go down a shit storm of reasons to get myself bant.

i'm very sorry for your loss, and hope that people start to realize the value of humanity.

kelsodeez

Reaction score
Sorry for your loss. I feel like physical altercations are more dangerous these days because we emulate what we see. In mma, you pounce on someone while they are down, whereas when boxing was the combat sport of choice, the biggest rule was that you don't hit someone when they're down. Small things like this make you feel like society is losing its way

TheX

Better a boomer than a Karen.
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
People have been treating each other like this as long as there have been people. It sucks, but it is what it is...and will be as long as we have to interact with each other.

Roberteaux

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
My condolences to you, and to his other friends and survivors. Most terrible to hear that somebody's life was cut so short merely because he came into contact with such a violent individual.

--R :(

pnuggett

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that news. We recently lost a dear member of our family due to physical violence.
Violent crime seems to be escalating and becoming more cold hearted and brutal. It has actually become a sort of game to some.

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
My condolences to you and his family.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear this and for the loss.

Little by little this behavior is becoming too much a part of the fabric of our society. About a decade ago, I recall a conversation with friends, when I said that I hoped we were finally over it.

But, apparently we are not only NOT over it, but it might just be the worst that I can remember over my 65+ years.

TXOldRedRocker

Tech pays the bills. Not a fan of tech.
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our civilized society hasn't been this uncivilized in a very, very long time. We have a complete breakdown spreading like cancer. I'm sorry for your loss. I'm sorry that this is happening to dozens, if not hundreds, of families every day across the US.

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
it's almost like encouraging violence and rebellion and pitting people against each other over ideologies was a bad idea.

It's almost like encouraging anarchy and violent protests, arson, looting, rape and murder,.. was a bad idea.

Gee who would have thought? :hmm:

Latest Threads