A question to my left handed brethren

Which way do you prefer your pots to function?

• Total voters

TKOjams

Reaction score
I am building a LH LP and was asked by one of my FB friends which way the pots would function. I haven't really given it much thought.:shock:

So, which way do you prefer?

CW = volume up

CCW = volume up

I would figure CCW so it would mirror the controls of a right handed guitar.

What do you prefer?

Many thanks,
ken

poro78

Noble savage
Reaction score
I didn't think about it at all when I made my SG.
Volume goes up CW, but you know - I'm just a dork, what do I know about these things. :D

John Vasco

I'm with the band
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Clockwise on all of my LPs.

ARandall

Reaction score
I tend just to copy the lug/wire positions from a regular wiring scheme for righties. I'm not sure how that relates to cw or ccw pot operation but that seems to work with the way the pot taper is designed to work.

TKOjams

Reaction score
Clockwise on all of my LPs.
I tend just to copy the lug/wire positions from a regular wiring scheme for righties. I'm not sure how that relates to cw or ccw pot operation but that seems to work with the way the pot taper is designed to work.
doesn't that make it difficult to do volume swells?

kfowler8

Reaction score
If I have my hand on the back of the vol knob o should be able to pull my hand up to increase vol. This is standard. So if facing the pot, counter clockwise

emoney

Reaction score
I play right-handed, but had I learned with my left (which would could be why I'm not that good), I'd think the way you're thinking, CCW. I guess it really depends on what the user is used to however.

j.six

Reaction score
The lefty I build stuff for likes it to roll like it would for a righty; pull back to get loud.

Sully

mudfinger

Thanks for the memories.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Huh, never thought of that. I clicked on the thread because I'm left-handed, but I play a regular guitar.

That said, I think kfowler has a point. I use my little finger on the backside of the volume knob for swells while playing. I would want the same feature on a left-handed guitar, so CCW to max volume would get my vote. :thumb:

Then again, maybe I'd get used to it? Vasco's a midget, but he doesn't suck at guitar, and his controls are CW. :thumb:

BBBBill

Reaction score
Where does one find quality CCW pots? And properly marked knobs would be nice, too.

TKOjams

Reaction score
Does anyone actually use the #'s on the knobs anyway? I just go by ear. I'll be using un marked knobs if I go with CCW pots

kfowler8

Reaction score
Does anyone actually use the #'s on the knobs anyway? I just go by ear. I'll be using un marked knobs if I go with CCW pots
TKO you can get reverse knobs off EBay from a Chinese supplier. That being said they never looked high quality. I just use the regular knobs on all mine. I never pay attention to the numbers anyway.

BTW, if you want log taper lefty pots Allparts has them. Look for reverse taper CTS.

David Collins

Reaction score
Reverse log pots and CCW up. I do a lot of work for lefties, and with the exception of a few who have gotten used to conventional right hand orientation through years of playing righty-built instruments, it's much more ergonomic and intuitive to have lefty controls work opposite of conventional. Pinky around the back of the knob, pull up to turn up, push down to turn down. Reverse audio taper CTS pots are readily available in all the common values if you look for them.

Nay

Reaction score
I've always had CCW on my guitars and it seems to be standard. I suppose I'm a weirdo who seems to want a CW.

And for volume swelling which I never do, but just played with. I'd prefer the volume to go up with a downstrum/downpick, and lower the volume as you return. Why would you want it the other way round, any reason?

Latest Threads