a question on humidification

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I bought a whole house humidifier and have my guitars all on racks in my house. since buying the humidifier I notice that whenever i pick up a guitar that I havent played in a while it is out of tune, but ALWAYS needs tuned down. I also picked up a les paul ( epi) last night I had not played in quite a while and that I had set up pretty well prior to the humidifier.. it has terrible fret buzz and the neck looks as if it need adjusted to allow some relief ( haven't done it yet today) is it possible that proper humidification after being dried out can cause this stuff?

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
I have noticed that often guitars I haven't played in a while go sharp.... maybe 1/4 step or so. This happens when humidity is high or low, so I am guessing that has nothing to do with it.

WhiteEpiLP

Reaction score
Strings do naturally go sharp when not used for a while, seems weird but is normal. Now as for the fret buzz, what do you have the humidifier set to? It is possible that as moisture is returning to the wood that it can move but typical I find it would make the neck have more relive not less, but it is wood and is unpredictable. I personally find that humidity levels dont seem to effect my solid bodies especially ones with maple necks, but have huge effects on my hollow body and acoustics.

roeg

Reaction score
quite normal.Dry season necks go flat.Moisture season(upcoming here,spring:)) necks go sharp.Just a few cents on the tuner,i use a peterson VSII.
A good neck will do this and not go wanky,ime,30 yrs running.

Latest Threads