A Police Helicopter Has Crashed Into A Bar In Glasgow

colchar

Banned
Reaction score
A police helicopter carrying three people has crashed into a pub in Glasgow. The police force that has jurisdiction in Glasgow is Police Scotland but they were formerly known as Strathclyde Police (until April 2013) and I have several family members who served or are still serving with them.

There are multiple injuries as a result of the crash but no confirmed fatalities yet (let's hope there aren't any).

We've got a few members here fe' Glesga (Fardwark, MenaceMartin, and others) so I hope none of them were in the vicinity.

BBC News - Police helicopter crash: 'Multiple injuries' at The Clutha pub in Glasgow

BBC News - In pictures: Glasgow pub helicopter crash

BBC News - Eyewitnesses: Glasgow pub helicopter crash

parts

Reaction score
Yes..just read about it.. Ska band playing..hope no fatalities..but it looks quite bad.

Maynar

You reached for the secret too soon
Reaction score
Listened to it on the radio in the truck today. They were saying the pub was full, about 120 people. :(

colchar

Banned
Reaction score
I've never been to that bar but as the map in the link Maynar provided shows, it is near Glasgow Central train station and I have spent a fair bit of time in the area.

GeeJay

Reaction score
Awful news.. I can only add my best wishes for all involved...

AlbionLass

Reaction score
I've a lot of close friends and some family up there, some in Glasgow. Awful, awful thing.

SJJMcGhee

Reaction score
It's on the flightpath for the Police Helicopter Helipad I think, the helipad is in the city so you see them swooping over a lot. It looks nasty, i'm heading into the town today and have a gig later but hopefully will hear any news. There's 32 injured and 1 confirmed dead, but they're "expecting that number to increase in the following hours". Me and the parents used to go there but haven't in a while, My dad used to run Bluegrass sessions in there but hasn't for a while, it was a nice place.

An interesting thing to say is that several quotes are saying there was a spluttering followed by it dropping vertically, but no fireball. Sounds to me like it ran out of fuel...

I hope no-one here was involved or anyone I know of in general, it was a popular pub with our friends, and I hope that there are as few causalities as possible.

slide_327514_3168134_free.jpg

Chilli

Reaction score
Its terrible, glad you're reporting in in one piece Fard.

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
It's a good thing there was no subsequent fire; the death toll, grim as it is, would have been much higher.

MenaceMartin

Reaction score
Good thing I decided against going out last night.

I heard about it shortly after it happened on the news, was instantly shocked about the whole thing, and still am pretty shocked. Still pretty surreal, and could tell the atmosphere in the city center today was very different. The fact that it's a busy bar, on a Friday night at a peak time makes things that bit more scary.

One of my regular bars, the Solid Rock Cafe, posted this on Facebook, and it pretty much sums it all up for me:

Solid Rock Cafe Glasgow said:
Our thoughts today go out to the people who have been injured or worse in last night's tragedy at the Clutha Vaults.

It makes us proud to be weegie that people in the vicinity of the crash ran to help instead of running away. The spirit of the scots is one you won't find in many places around the world. So many people have gone to give blood today the blood donation centre has had to start turning people away.

Condolences to the families of the brave pilot and police officers in the helicopter, no doubt the facts that emerge will show that their actions saved lives.

As a city and a nation through adversity we will only emerge stronger.

We'd like to take this opportunity to wish you a sombre, but happy St Andrews Day.

Alba Gu Brath.

My thoughts are with all those affected by this incident, and hope that the injuries are minimal and that the death toll doesn't increase.

Latest Threads