A pointless thread for showing off

Eagle X

Reaction score
And for sharing my excitement :D

PXL_20210825_083542718.jpg

I recently got this 1989 Greco EG59 Mint Collection from a friend in Japan. The purchase was like a gambling. You may ask EG59-WHAT? And that's the whole problem. Even that friend is an experienced vintage Greco seller, he cannot identify its model. It looks like a EG59-75 or EG59-100. But it comes stock with a pair of Drys which are usually reserved for EG59-120. And it does not have pickguard screw holes on it. The best guess is a custom order, if Greco took customer order in 1989.

I was worrying if that pair of Drys are fake and/or latterly installed. My worry comes from threads about fake Drys for sale on Yahoo! Japan. But after my inspection on all connection points, I'm convinced that the pickups and wirings are all stock.

Once I got it in my hand and plugged it in, immediately I realized that this beauty is better than any guitars I've ever tried in my life. Well I'm not rich. The most expensive guitar I've ever owned was an ESP M II Neck Thru. And the most expensive Les Paul I've ever touched was a Gibson Les Paul Standard (not mine). This very Greco stands out from all of them. It might be stupid for me as a non-native English speaker to describe this guitar with words. I'd better say it feels like a low temperature slow fermented sake. It plays smooth and pure. And it sounds smooth and pure.

Call me a noob cuz I cannot withhold my excitement. Yes that's all I got :)

Last edited:

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Reaction score

View attachment 557042

I recently got this 1989 Greco EG59 Mint Collection from a friend in Japan. The purchase was like a gambling. You may ask EG59-WHAT? And that's the whole problem. Even that friend is an experienced vintage Greco seller, he cannot identify its model. It looks like a EG59-75 or EG59-100. But it comes stock with a pair of Drys which are usually reserved for EG59-120. And it does not have pickguard screw holes on it. The best guess is a custom order, if Greco took customer order in 1989.

I was worrying if that pair of Drys are fake and/or latterly installed. My worry comes from threads about fake Drys for sale on Yahoo! Japan. But after my inspection on all connection points, I'm convinced that the pickups and wirings are all stock.

Once I got it in my hand and plugged it in, immediately I realized that this beauty is better than any guitars I've ever tried in my life. Well I'm not rich. The most expensive guitar I've ever owned was an ESP M II Neck Thru. And the most expensive Les Paul I've ever touched was a Gibson Les Paul Standard (not mine). This very Greco stands out from all of them. It might be stupid for me as a non-native English speaker to describe this guitar with words. I'd better say it feels like a low temperature slow fermented sake. It plays smooth and pure. And it sounds smooth and pure.

Personally, I think you speak pretty darn good English! :applause:

It's what we're here for... to share the excitement and trials of guitar ownership!

You scored a rare bird and you love it... Win, Win!

Enjoy that thing! :jam:

Nick-O

Reaction score
That is just plain gorgeous! Enjoy your time with it!

ThePanda

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

View attachment 557042

Awesome brother! I got a 89 eg59 as well! Mine is a 70!

Beautiful looking guitar! Got anymore pics?

mono

Reaction score
Beautiful. I miss this kind of post round these parts. Congratulations and thanks for sharing!

I'm gonna nominate Harold (@wulfman ) to share some of his lovely Greco photos here so we can continue to bask in the MIJ glory

Latest Threads