A new Warmoth build is in the works

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
Ordered guitar parts for another assembly. SG style Warmoth bolt on. It'll be a Fudgsicle of sorts.

Two P90s - unsure of which ones. Suggestions are most welcome. Might use three.

Warmoth:

Gibson scale conversion. Mahogany / Ebony with clear gloss. Abalone dots. SS 6105 frets. I'm doing my own bone nut install. I have chrome Grover milk bottle tuners off of my HD-28 to use, already paid for and all.

I have some Martin reject rosewood head plate scraps I'll use to make my own truss rod cover. Know what I want to try already. Should look quite nice!

Mahogany in clear gloss. Fudgsicle. I'm going to attempt a custom pickguard myself. Some vague ideas already.

Made in USA locking ABR-1 bridge, tailpiece and a made in USA "Strat" neck plate.

I know the wanker who'll assemble it, also made in the USA.

They are still catching up on orders due to nationwide health concerns. Could be well over three months...

Last edited:

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
I have always been curious about the ToM offerings from Philly Luthier. I've already received them and Warmoth has them now.

https://www.philadelphialuthiertool...with-plated-brass-saddles-for-vintage-gibson/

https://www.philadelphialuthiertool...ar-tailpiece-set-studs-and-anchor-for-gibson/

https://www.philadelphialuthiertool...guitar-neck-plate-104-thick-chrome-no-screws/

All the Philly stuff is made in the USA - a bonus for me.

The bridge is comparable to the much pricier Faber nickel - no chrome offered: https://www.faberguitar.com/ABRL-NG...em-Gloss-Nickel-Brass-saddles-nickel-plated_1

$73 currently.

You are better off buying from Germany as the USA site items are pricier yet: https://faberusa.com/product/3031-tone-lock-bridge-gloss-nickel-for-abr1/

$99. German shipping is more expensive, but you still save $ over the US site.

I have a Faber aged gold on my Lester. The locking studs are superb. The machining is tight and precise.

The Philly bridge is nearly as well machined, except the saddles and screws can fall out despite having C clip retainers. Not as bad as original wired ToMs without the wire, but something to be aware of.

The Faber screws and saddles are quite secure as they take some real effort to remove the tiny C clip retainers.

The chrome on the Philly stuff is excellent:

IMG9935s.jpg

IMG9942s.jpg

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
I have Martin rosewood head plate rejects to use. Definitely will make a truss rod cover out of one and am considering a pickguard too.

Poker chip ring? A plate for the surface mounted output jack?

IMG9927s.jpg

This is a roasted maple example of the Warmoth Vortex tuning head - just pretend it is mahogany in clear gloss.

Images without and with an actual close to scale sample of what I'm considering. A flush mount cover would be ideal. Still trying to figure out how to secure it in place.

VortexHead3.png

VortexHead3a.png

Last edited:

ARandall

Reaction score
Could always just do a veneer and a regular TRC. The headplate to the right of the ruler in those shots has some great grain.

Roxy13

Reaction score
One small recommendation regarding the bridge. If you have trouble intonating because the saddles and screws are popping up, get the little c clips from Faber/Corsa. I put that bridge on a Tokai husk and it was driving me crazy. There is nothing holding the screws in.

smk506

Reaction score
Sounds like it will be a lot of fun, parts builds usually are.

I’m curious why you’re going with a conversion neck though, aren’t those specifically used to mate up with a fender scaled body? I would think the sg body would have a Gibson scale bridge measurement, will those two play well together?

For p90s it’s almost hard to go wrong with any of the popular offerings. Gibson makes great p90s still, Lollars are very popular, etc.

On my main p90 guitar I went with rio grande blues bar in the bridge and jazz bar in the neck. These were the go to pickups for a highly respected repair man on here a long time ago and while there’s not as much recent feedback on them, I can see why.

I honestly believe they were ahead of the time in the boutique wonder game and never really marketed themselves when that market grew over the last 10-15 years.

I also have a dog ear from Pete Biltof at vintage vibe guitars, another not as well known winder who delivers exceptional quality and will custom build whatever you want. His p90s have a little plate covering the magnets you can take off, he ships with 2 sets of magnets so you can easily swap them out and see if you’re an A2 guy, A5, ceramic...

Let us know what you decide.

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
Could always just do a veneer and a regular TRC. The headplate to the right of the ruler in those shots has some great grain.
That is the piece I might make a pickguard out of. Figure I'll prep, fill and give it a nice oil finish.

One small recommendation regarding the bridge. If you have trouble intonating because the saddles and screws are popping up, get the little c clips from Faber/Corsa. I put that bridge on a Tokai husk and it was driving me crazy. There is nothing holding the screws in.
That is what I don't get - it has C clips in it already. No matter, Warmoth has it now for accurately installing the studs for the body. I have the saddles and screws here. I'll have to wait until December when I expect the wood bits to be finished to play with the bridge further.

Sounds like it will be a lot of fun, parts builds usually are.

I’m curious why you’re going with a conversion neck though, aren’t those specifically used to mate up with a fender scaled body? I would think the sg body would have a Gibson scale bridge measurement, will those two play well together?

For p90s it’s almost hard to go wrong with any of the popular offerings. Gibson makes great p90s still, Lollars are very popular, etc.
I will likely never have the skill to do a glue in neck kit, so bolt on it was. I have no business behind a spray gun of any type as well.

I'm certain the neck and body will play nice together as all of their offerings are interchangeable, provided you select the proper neck heel / body routs. They make all that easy enough.

Lollars seem to be the most popular. I'm still drawn to the MJT quiet coils. Built like the Lace Sensor Holy Grails which I have and really like.

Two or three? I like the idea of three - I'd wire them like my StratoMutt with a blender pot. P-90 quack? Yes, please...

Roxy13

Reaction score
Well, maybe mine was supposed to then and they weren't there! I was so mad at that bridge I said I'm never buying this one again.

CerebralGasket

Reaction score
Maybe a traditional single coil P-90 at the neck position for cleans and a P-90 sized stacked humbucker at the bridge position for hi gain use. That's my favorite pup combo in an SG.

Last edited:

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
Well, maybe mine was supposed to then and they weren't there! I was so mad at that bridge I said I'm never buying this one again.
Well... I thought I saw C clips. I really did.
tweety.gif

So, adding clips took care of the gravity issue?

IMG0415.jpg

Maybe a traditional single coil P-90 at the neck position for cleans and a P-90 sized stacked humbucker at the bridge position for hi gain use. That's my favorite pup combo in an SG.
Thanks for the input. Have you stuck with Gibsons?

Roxy13

Reaction score
Well... I thought I saw C clips. I really did.

So, adding clips took care of the gravity issue?

View attachment 491971
Let me know how it goes for you! I got so angry with it. And then later I said wait, my Fabers have those clips, can I buy some? And sure enough they have like packs of 10 in case you lose some and I put them on that Philly Luthier bridge.

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
Let me know how it goes for you! I got so angry with it. And then later I said wait, my Fabers have those clips, can I buy some? And sure enough they have like packs of 10 in case you lose some and I put them on that Philly Luthier bridge.
I have some spares as loosing them is inevitable.

CerebralGasket

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Have you stuck with Gibsons?
My first SG was a 1969 SG Special.
It had stock Gibson P-90s.

Later on...
Had two 2016 SG Specials.
One with Lollar P-90's.
One with stock Gibson Mini Humbuckers.
Combined pups with the two.
Mini Humbucker at bridge, P-90 at neck.

This led to me getting an SG Classic.
Stock Gibson P-90 at neck.
Kinman Nasty 90 Heavy at the bridge.
The Kinman is a stacked humbucker in a P-90 shell.

Pictured below
left: Kinman Nasty 90 Heavy
right: Stock Gibson P-90

So far it is my favorite pup combo.
Now have two SG Classics with this pup combo.

My LP Junior Doublecut has a Fralin Hum Cancelling P-90.

Last edited:

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
My first SG was a 1969 SG Special.
It had stock Gibson P-90s.

Later on...
Had two 2016 SG Specials.
One with Lollar P-90's.
One with stock Gibson Mini Humbuckers.
Combined pups with the two.
Mini Humbucker at bridge, P-90 at neck.

This led to me getting an SG Classic.
Stock Gibson P-90 at neck.
Kinman Nasty 90 Heavy at the bridge.
The Kinman is a stacked humbucker in a P-90 shell.

Pictured below
left: Kinman Nasty 90 Heavy
right: Stock Gibson P-90

So far it is my favorite pup combo.
Now have two SG Classics with this pup combo.

My LP Junior Doublecut has a Fralin Hum Cancelling P-90.

Good information, thanks!

Roxy13

Reaction score
I have/had two SGs with P90s. One I put Gibson P90s into. I still think Gibson P90s are among the best. They invented the sound and to me that's how P90s should sound. And it's not hard to source nearly new used ones on ebay and Reverb.

My current one is a MIJ Greco. It has it's stock Hot Licks in it and they are pretty great as well, but I'm not sure those would be easy to find. You never know though and they might be inexpensive if you do come across any.

I have another MIJ, a singlecut Aria that came stock with 1978 Gibson Laidback P90s and those are awesome too.

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
I have/had two SGs with P90s. One I put Gibson P90s into. I still think Gibson P90s are among the best. They invented the sound and to me that's how P90s should sound. And it's not hard to source nearly new used ones on ebay and Reverb.

My current one is a MIJ Greco. It has it's stock Hot Licks in it and they are pretty great as well, but I'm not sure those would be easy to find. You never know though and they might be inexpensive if you do come across any.

I have another MIJ, a singlecut Aria that came stock with 1978 Gibson Laidback P90s and those are awesome too.
The P-90 is a simple design. It seems many do it well. I do appreciate your input.

efstop

Premium Member
Reaction score
If you can find a Gibson P-90ST for the bridge, that might work, too. It's a slug P-90, hotter than the regular P-90.

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
If you can find a Gibson P-90ST for the bridge, that might work, too. It's a slug P-90, hotter than the regular P-90.
I'll likely stay away from hotter. My Studio One has plenty of crunch on tap. Hotter, higher output will lessen the cleaner tones I can get out of it.

If I want clean I have the Boogie to provide 60 km of headroom at 60 watts. Or 100 km at 100 watts. My estimation of headroom may not be entirely accurate.

Latest Threads