A New Era at Gibson - The A.R.T. of management takes hold

FLICKOFLASH

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Flick, do you seriously think that Henry would truly give a rat's arse about what YOU have to say?

Seriously, I just think if Henry cared about what people were saying, he'd simply start doing something about it.

Henry cares about money. MO MONEY :dude:
Then why bring me there to see & look around & meet everyone first hand. If he just wanted blab he could email me.

Reaction score
Flick, you might take this the wrong way, but this is purely an honest question. Not trying to give you a hard time.

You said you wanted us to not dwell on the negativity and be part of the solution. What is it exactly you want us to do?

PINKBITS

Reaction score
Then why bring me there to see & look around & meet everyone first hand. If he just wanted blab he could email me.
He's canvassing your support.

It makes you feel special, important. Then you can post on all the various forums you Mod about how Henry is a top bloke.

IMO he's playing you.

He's just another politician.

Make people feel all warm and fuzzy then stick their hand in your pocket whilst they are shaking the other one.

guitar_randy

Reaction score
Whats is all the talk about Henry and why doesn't Henry post his own posts?

FLICKOFLASH

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Flick, do you seriously think that Henry would truly give a rat's arse about what YOU have to say?

Seriously, I just think if Henry cared about what people were saying, he'd simply start doing something about it.

Henry cares about money. MO MONEY :dude:
When I first met Henry my wife had to push me to say Hello & to get a pic with him. I was very anti Henry & Gibson for that matter. I even feared telling him I was Flickoflash because of this. He wasn't at all what I had perceived or had been told. He was friendly & funny but he did seem to listen when I talked to him so much so he even brought over other heads to hear what I had to say. They too seemed to listen & were rather open on some touchy subjects. I had told Henry of my excitement of be able to see around the customshop. He told me if I didn't get to see everything I had liked he would arrange a private tour.We were giving access to roam about freely in the shop. when Henry was on stage later MCing the event he said a hello to me in the crowd. That day changed me & my thoughts never to believe what you hear. At the time I wasn't even a MOD there was no MLP. The next few years they also treated me first rate. I later got back in touch with Henry Via Facebook & that is how we are now have a relationship. One thing I keep hearing is Henry is all about making money I will also tell you he has no fear spending or investing in risks either.

Ride on a Pony

Reaction score
When I first met Henry my wife had to push me to say Hello & to get a pic with him. I was very anti Henry & Gibson for that matter. I even feared telling him I was Flickoflash because of this. He wasn't at all what I had precieved or had been told. He was friendly & funny but he did seem to listen when I talked to him so much so he even brought over other heads to hear what I had to say. They too seemed to listen & were rathr open on some touchy subjects. I had told Henry of my excitement of be able to see around the customshop. He told me if I didn't get to see everything I had liked he would arrange a private tour.We were giving access to roam about freely in the shop. when Henry was on stage later MCing the event he said a hello to me in the crowd. That day changed me & my thoghts never to believe what you hear. At the time I wasn't even a MOD there was no MLP. The next few years they also treated me first rate. I later got back in touch with Henry Via Facebook & that is how we are now have a realionship. One thing I keep hearing is Henry is all about making money I will also tell you he has no fear spending or investing in risks either.
He's canvassing your support.

It makes you feel special, important. Then you can post on all the various forums you Mod about how Henry is a top bloke.

IMO he's playing you.

He's just another politician.

Make people feel all warm and fuzzy then stick their hand in your pocket whilst they are shaking the other one.
If you were trying to support Pinkbits' argument, you did a mighty fine job.

Ride on a Pony

Reaction score
Did you read the part the relationship began when I was not a MOD & there was no MLP
It doesn't really matter what status the person holds. It's still just a bunch of small gestures to make you feel 'warm and fuzzy' without actually doing anything of substance.

Splattle101

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
:laugh2:

Im sure he would 2/3 the posse already here :laugh2:
Yes, and I love you, too, Flick. :laugh2:

But no, I'm not dealing with this silly thread. I deal with nonsense like that in the OP every day, from far nastier, more powerful and more dangerous people than dear Henry, and I then have turn that word salad into tangible outcomes for real people.

But that's a day job. I do not come here for to play that game for free. And you could't afford me anyway.:cool:

So have at it, gentle people.

FLICKOFLASH

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Flick, you might take this the wrong way, but this is purely an honest question. Not trying to give you a hard time.

You said you wanted us to not dwell on the negativity and be part of the solution. What is it exactly you want us to do?
Well it be nice to have some help with issues & possble resolves & what to bring to the table. Trashing Henry or me does nothing. Just think about how imature we are? Look at the TigerDusk Guitar & the riffraff about it & rants. Gibson didn't stop making the old models & those guitars are just a limited run of 1000. They may or maynot be for you.

FLICKOFLASH

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It doesn't really matter what status the person holds. It's still just a bunch of small gestures to make you feel 'warm and fuzzy' without actually doing anything of substance.
Im holding off on the warm & fuzzy till I see I made a difference. I dont expect changes to happen over night either.

goatbreath

Banned
Reaction score
I posted real issues I had with my Gibson guitars,,Issues I also had with Gibson themselves.In another thread a couple of days ago..When a discussion was started about how Gibson was getting wrong regarding their distribution policy etc...The thread was locked by a moderator..I had serious issues and went through hell for months because of one of these guitars..I have no idea why the thread was locked..People were voicing honest issues and experiences..Do you expect us to lie???If we don't lie and bring up real issues we have experienced then the thread gets locked..

ALOT OF GIBSON LES PAULS LEAVE THE FACTORY WITH A TOO STEEP NECK ANGLE...

There I said it and I will keep on saying it because it is the truth,,this means that the instrument is substandard,,It should not be on sale!!!It is faulty..End of story..

Why do these guitars constantly pass through quality control..Because they know they are like that..

zontar

Reaction score
First--I do tend to roll my eyes with the whole "Corporate Speak" stuff, but it isn't going away.

Second--I like my Gibson, but I got it used. the guitar itself is almost 40 years old, and I have no plans of getting another. Why? I can't afford them. I would like to get a semi hollow some day--and I do like Gibsons that way, but they are out of my price range. I might consider an Epi, but they aren't quite what I'm looking for--I could just as easily go with an Ibanez or a Hagstrom.

So yeah I love my Gibson, and I have played more good Gibsons than bad ones, but I can't justify paying their prices for a guitar.
I like to have a variety of guitars, so any new ones would be of different types than what I have. And so I'm not stuck on any brand or manufacturer.

So that pretty much counts me out of the people Henry is trying to reach, so I'm not even going to try & figure out what he's saying unless (and until) they have some more reasonably priced guitars. They can still be more than I am able to spend on a guitar--but if they are more reasonable, and well made I can dream. Which is what I did before I got my Les Paul.

the rest of it--from all sides, is mostly words--some I agree with, some I don't, most I'm not really paying attention to.

So why'd I post?

I don't know--maybe I just needed to present a different view.

FLICKOFLASH

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I posted real issues I had with my Gibson guitars,,Issues I also had with Gibson themselves.In another thread a couple of days ago..When a discussion was started about how Gibson was getting wrong regarding their distribution policy etc...The thread was locked by a moderator..I had serious issues and went through hell for months because of one of these guitars..I have no idea why the thread was locked..People were voicing honest issues and experiences..Do you expect us to lie???If we don't lie and bring up real issues we have experienced then the thread gets locked..

ALOT OF GIBSON LES PAULS LEAVE THE FACTORY WITH A TOO STEEP NECK ANGLE...

There I said it and I will keep on saying it because it is the truth,,this means that the instrument is substandard,,It should not be on sale!!!It is faulty..End of story..

Why do these guitars constantly pass through quality control..Because they know they are like that..
I havent locked any threads nor has any been locked on the 4 henry forum. Only a few insulting post have been deleted

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Here's a few things you can bring to Henry

Regarding the Dusk Tiger and Robot, except as "high end" specialty items, most people don't want them, and they are simply far more complex than is needed to just play music for most of us - a solution in search of a problem, and added complexity increases chance for failure. They are like a 1960's era 426 Hemi. Cool gadgets, but not very useful for most people. A small number of people will want them for the novelty or the "coolness" of having the only one around, but that's it.

Having $3K-$4K and up instruments is fine, but not everyone is a rich person or a big time recording star. Give more attention to the mid and lower end items, such as the Studio and the old "the Paul". Take a page from the Epiphone division and Fender and ummm almost everyone else, and remember the working stiff who simply can't spring several kilodollars.

Stop with all the R1 R2 R3 R4 R5 R6 R7 R8 ad infinitum reissues. They will be more special and more attractive/valuable to those who want them, if there are fewer variations and R#'s.

Make them more accessible. There are people for whom simply getting to a place that is authorized to sell, is a major hassle. Stop setting it up so only "Big Box" type businesses can sell. Let the mom and pops shops in the game, especially in those areas where there may not be a Big Box store. A sale is a sale is a sale. You can't generate any new "fans" if they can't even get the damn things.

None of these are original ideas and none of them are my ideas. See how far they go. Not very far, I bet.

Tell Henry that the Gibson name may be a good one, but if you can't afford one or can't even get one, that changes everything.

FLICKOFLASH

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
First--I do tend to roll my eyes with the whole "Corporate Speak" stuff, but it isn't going away.

Second--I like my Gibson, but I got it used. the guitar itself is almost 40 years old, and I have no plans of getting another. Why? I can't afford them. I would like to get a semi hollow some day--and I do like Gibsons that way, but they are out of my price range. I might consider an Epi, but they aren't quite what I'm looking for--I could just as easily go with an Ibanez or a Hagstrom.

So yeah I love my Gibson, and I have played more good Gibsons than bad ones, but I can't justify paying their prices for a guitar.
I like to have a variety of guitars, so any new ones would be of different types than what I have. And so I'm not stuck on any brand or manufacturer.

So that pretty much counts me out of the people Henry is trying to reach, so I'm not even going to try & figure out what he's saying unless (and until) they have some more reasonably priced guitars. They can still be more than I am able to spend on a guitar--but if they are more reasonable, and well made I can dream. Which is what I did before I got my Les Paul.

the rest of it--from all sides, is mostly words--some I agree with, some I don't, most I'm not really paying attention to.

So why'd I post?

I don't know--maybe I just needed to present a different view.
No Poser here you can see I posted on this very issue

Are Gibson's Prices Too High in This Economy ? - Gibson Guitar Board

KSG_Standard

Reaction score
Flick, do you have any idea what the total Robot and Dusk Tiger sales numbers are? How about sales numbers on Gibson and Gibson Custom Shop? They must be selling enough guitars to stay in business and turn a profit....

FLICKOFLASH

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Flick, do you have any idea what the total Robot and Dusk Tiger sales numbers are? How about sales numbers on Gibson and Gibson Custom Shop? They must be selling enough guitars to stay in business and turn a profit....
1st run Robots sold out in one day

Gibsons profit comes from Epiphone

Some of the customshop guitars I hear they make no profit but it gets them on the map

Roman

Master Luthier V.I.P.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Henry I am sure is a well meaning person and not the monster some make him out to be.

However statements like this are just corporate gibberish will make him hated by his employees and "fans" alike.

It sounds to me he is just going on a firing binge, eliminating anyone who would not step in his perfectly blazed trail.

Gibson became great because of having a "team" of people wanting to build the world's finest guitars.

I don't believe currently he has a team. I believe Henry has a bunch of people that are scared of losing their jobs, are scared of, and possibly despise, management.

In any group, people need to respect and believe in their leader.

Corporate speak will not get you that..........quite the opposite.

He is NOT a good coach, and in my opinion has no idea how to rally up and inspire the team.

I think Al Pacino could do a better job running Gibson. Henry needs to toss all his Harvard BS out the window, step out into the real world and inspire and lead his team.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myyWXKeBsNk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myyWXKeBsNk[/ame]

Latest Threads