A New Era at Gibson - The A.R.T. of management takes hold

FLICKOFLASH

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Flicko, i believe it would be wise to advise Mr. Henry that he is not that much loved in this forum and that he should choose better words for you to share here, he can do what ever he wants with his forum, but here, most probably will receive that same rage over and over no matter what he can come up with.

I could be better off with not hearing any more that he saved Gibson, he should be more humble about it, but knowing from where he comes, he will most certainly continue to show off over and over how he and only he has done what no body else did. Please.....

Next.
Believe me I have told him & his assistant just that.I also don't like because Im am taking on the battle & trying to get your messages across that now too Im attacked for getting my foot in the door. Really what do you guys want ? He doesn't boast about saving Gibson that was from the internet & I posted with something about Slash saving it too but was over looked

ext1jdh

Reaction score
Actually ext1jdh we are on the same page with the issues & I am addressing these issues.If they ignore them them they are pretty stupid.
I've got 2 issues with this.

On a personal note, you singled out my post with the "are you dense" comment. That's a real asshole move, and it knocked you down several pegs in my book. Not that you care at all, or that it matters in the grand scheme.

Secondly, if the issues are a big deal to you, then put yourself on the line. Being a mod at 4Henry is cool, no doubt. I'll not argue with anyone that its an excellent opportunity. If you've got Henry's ear and he's refusing to listen, then ask him straight out what is the point of you being there, or anyone else for that matter. If he only wants yes-men, then he can have them and all the good it will do, but I thought you were better than that.

kernelofwisdom

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Cliff Notes:

Management sucked when I bought the company.
Gen II management sucked, but not as much.
Gen III management agrees to pursue increasing budget and margin objectives regardless of global economy.
Acronym employed to remind you that you are being measured to a target number, you are responsible for that number, and everyone will know if you miss the number.

End Cliff Notes.

I can't see the OP as telling us anything, really, other than the CEO has better agreement within his management team regarding objectives that are unknown to the reader, and that growth within Gibson occurred, in his view, over the last twenty years despite the sluggish and backbiting efforts of most personnel able to impact that objective. Sure Henry has a hard-driving personality and focus on growth, but we've heard that narrative before.

Is this to say Gibson is about to try to claim greater market share? What's the point of telling us this stuff? There's no ART in the post because it does not define an objective and therefore does not set forth any accountability, responsibility or transparency regarding that objective. What, really, is the goal of this new super team?

I've enjoyed a lot of Henry's posts, but this one seems more of a rant on past management more than illuminating the future. Perhaps we are being asked to stay tuned for that?

Remember Lost lost a lot of viewers when it kept stringing out the mysteries, and it had plenty of hot chicks to hold the viewers attention...

kernelofwisdom

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Another Henry... Henry Ford was a great industrialist and successful businessman. Some of his ideas:

"If there is any one secret of success, it lies in the ability to get the other person's point of view and see things from that person's angle as well as from your own."

"It is not the employer who pays the wages. Employers only handle the money. It is the customer who pays the wages."

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."

"The man who will use his skill and constructive imagination to see how much he can give for a dollar, instead of how little he can give for a dollar, is bound to succeed. "

"You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do."

"A business absolutely devoted to service will have only one worry about profits. They will be embarrassingly large."

Outside of a very creative CFO, Henry J.'s most important employees are the guys on the floor doing the job. That is where he should amply reward those who do quality work and have pride in the product. Henry doesn't need an army of Yes Men for management.
Those are great quotes. You'd never hear them from a consultant, but it's rock solid stuff.

The first quote, however, is often violated by bull-headed people who just have no interest in that. The clarity of their own vision precludes the possibility that other ideas might have greater merit - other ideas only fog the vision and are energy-draining distractions. I imagine Ford probably was bull-headed, but perhaps he had the wisdom to know his weakness and listened to wise people who could see the view of others when he couldn't.

nicolasrivera

Reaction score
Believe me I have told him & his assistant just that.I also don't like because Im am taking on the battle & trying to get your messages across that now too Im attacked for getting my foot in the door. Really what do youi guys want ? He doesn't boast about saving Gibson that was from the internet & I posted with something about Slash saving it too but was ob=ver looked
I dont blame you for nothing, i know as you have told me that you are trying hard to stand in the middle and referee this battle.

The impression i get, the end user, is that he is really robing in our faces how a savior he is, i may be wrong, but thats whats out there.

Maybe is his punchable face all the problem, could be!

FLICKOFLASH

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've got 2 issues with this.

On a personal note, you singled out my post with the "are you dense" comment. That's a real asshole move, and it knocked you down several pegs in my book. Not that you care at all, or that it matters in the grand scheme.

Secondly, if the issues are a big deal to you, then put yourself on the line. Being a mod at 4Henry is cool, no doubt. I'll not argue with anyone that its an excellent opportunity. If you've got Henry's ear and he's refusing to listen, then ask him straight out what is the point of you being there, or anyone else for that matter. If he only wants yes-men, then he can have them and all the good it will do, but I thought you were better than that.
I apologies but the dense comment wasn't personally directed at you but the whole who seem to dwell on negativity & have no drive to try & make a difference. Being a mod on 4 henry forum is nothing as with the way it set up it has no room to expand on.Henry has had my ear long before that forum.He even opened it on my suggestion od him coming on MLP for direct question & answer. Who is saying Henry is not listening? They wanted me to come there a month ago . You want to know why I think Henry ears are perked to me cause I am not a yes man . I fight for the underdogs & don't follow what is the latest status Que. Yes its a adjustment for him getting real feedback but it is also over whelming for him of the hatred & direct attacks

PINKBITS

Reaction score
Again Flick, it has nothing to do with negativity and everything to do with reality.

Blues4U

Reaction score
I apologies but the dense comment wasn't personally directed at you but the whole who seem to dwell on negativity & have no drive to try & make a difference. Being a mod on 4 henry forum is nothing as with the way it set up it has no room to expand on.Henry has had my ear long before that forum.He even opened it on my suggestion od him coming on MLP for direct question & answer. Who is saying Henry is not listening? They wanted me to come there a month ago . You want to know why I think Henry ears are perked to me cause I am not a yes man . I fight for the underdogs & don't follow what is the latest status Que. Yes its a adjustment for him getting real feedback but it is also over whelming for him of the hatred & direct attacks
I am totally able to hate the sin not the sinner---Some are not-

Henry has been a decent guy at times and he has come across as a completely out of touch elitist at times as well.

I do agree that he could follow a few of Henry Ford's ideals--Although I am not a Ford man, his vision still seems to be alive an well within his company a full century later.

I'd sit down with Henry on my dime--I can be there in 5 hours, and would do so--:hmm:

ext1jdh

Reaction score
Flick, you keep saying that Henry's all anti yes-men, but his responses on the forums and as a CEO do not reflect this.

as stated before, he really acts as though he's king and nothing anyone else says has any value.

PINKBITS

Reaction score
If Henry would send me a free new Hysteric, I'd go a little easier on him :thumb:

Hey Henry, if you're reading this big fella, shoot me a pm and I'll send you my address :laugh2: :applause:

NoStatic

Banned
Reaction score
Believe me I have told him & his assistant just that.I also don't like because Im am taking on the battle & trying to get your messages across that now too Im attacked for getting my foot in the door. Really what do youi guys want ? He doesn't boast about saving Gibson that was from the internet & I posted with something about Slash saving it too but was ob=ver looked

Really, who cares? Who cares how Gibson, a privately held company, is run? Gibson surely does have a unique strength in its brand. Just recently I met a man with Gibson tattooed on one forearm and Marshall on the other. The only other brand that I can think of that incites that type of tribal loyalty is Harley. Another company with expensive antiquated products that reinvented itself as an aspirational, premium lifestyle brand for ageing, image conscious baby boomers. Good luck to them.

You posted a piece management stream of consciousness for comment. It got comment and now you are dishing out insults. What do YOU want?

FLICKOFLASH

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I am totally able to hate the sin not the sinner---Some are not-

Henry has been a decent guy at times and he has come across as a completely out of touch elitist at times as well.

I do agree that he could follow a few of Henry Ford's ideals--Although I am not a Ford man, his vision still seems to be alive an well within his company a full century later.

I'd sit down with Henry on my dime--I can be there in 5 hours, and would do so--:hmm:
Well I am planning to sit down for a week I hope to have something constructive to get across to them

geochem1st

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Well I am planning to sit down for a week I hope to have something constructive to get across to them
What do you plan on telling him? Post a list of specifics and see how it flies with the rest of us Gibson customers.

FLICKOFLASH

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
What do you plan on telling him? Post a list of specifics and see how it flies with the rest of us Gibson customers.
Keep in mind this is part of a message to his assistant to set up a schedule plan on whom for me to meet with & when

Ok these are just random off the top of my head

1. Tour around Gibson including the factories & the corporate side & how it functions

2. Work on how to better how the public perceives Henry. Need to show Henry's passion for guitars ( many perceive him as a bean counter ) I want to show the humorous side . What the outside is getting the employees & Management ,Henry do not gel well ( I have no idea) I like to work on how to pull it all together & instantiate a healing & put some pride back in the workplace . I want to discuss this with Henry & the workers separately to get a vibe on what's going on & then come up with a plan if needed.

3. Marketing & product development I have some radicle ideas that I guarantee would create a big buzz for Gibson. Plus some new product ideas.

4. Meet with IT or Web Marketing to discuss on how to better the Gibson site & forums

5 Meeting with heads on Internet marketing & the small Mom & Pop situation & hopefully come up with a marketing plan ( This is a #1 issue with Gibson Fans & customers & has the biggest impact on Gibson's futures)

6 Meeting to discuss Gibson's advanced products & marketing them. Such as the Dark Tiger , Robot Guitar ect

7 Like a field trip to do a unannounced visit to a Guitar center to get a vibe on them. ( The masses have big problems with these chains & it spilling over to Gibson's own reputation .) Maybe we can see for ourselves & maybe come up with some sort of policy on those who represent Gibson's line.

8. Meeting on how to educate the public on the counterfeit Gibson's & also how to beat them at their own game. That would somehow coming up with a product in their price range but with a Gibson brand name but not cheapen the brand either

YouTube is free advertising lets take advantage of this & maybe have someone come in & we shoot some tour shots & some meetings. Have some fun & show Gibson can have some fun.

9. I manage MyLesPaul,(1/2 million unique visitors per month with strong growth each month) Geartalk & the Marshallforum.. Again free media for Gibson to do some marketing analysis & also get personal with people who use Gibson products.

10 A over all product review & maybe a think tank on how to improve upon or some steps to make a even better product. Also some alternatives to lower some pricing.

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

I am going there to hit the hard issues straight on but seems you pussys just want to whine bitch & moan . You'd think this was a Fender forum or something. You want real change first change your attitudes of being so negative. Instead of bitching why not work to make a difference . The door has been opened but you guys seem too ignorant to notice & walk in.
My attitude is fine. After a career, of dealing with self centered, egomaniacal, usually incompetent ASSHOLES who never take any responsibility for failures, but will sure take all the credit, even when they don't deserve to, who got where they are either at someone else's expense or dumb luck or because they were born with the silver spoon or whatever, I think I know bullshit. I didn't start negative, it was a long time in coming and it came for a reason. I got tired of having to work under assholes like that and having to clean up their fucking mess when they get their accolades and move on.

HEBRYJ said:
...I felt isolated and alone at pursuing these ambitious goals. Every profit center manger fought for an easier path, and many showed they did not believe this growth was possible in either word or action.
One man. Alone. Against ALL of them. The Lone Crusader cast adrift among the nonbelievers.
HEBRYJ said:
Rather than leading change and improvement, I often felt I was pulling team mates with alternate personal views and agendas.
Personal views? Everyone has a personal view. Some are stupid, but some are valid. A smart CEO will know the difference, rather than discounting ALL of them.
HEBRYJ said:
I always found team mates that could achieve these ambitious goals, but even those that could were narrowly focused and required a lot of my time an energy to push them.
If they could "achieve these ambitious goals" then what was the damn problem? If they were tasked with fulfilling an ambitious (code speak for difficult to impossible) then damn right they will be focused on that, especially if their job depends on it.
HEBRYJ said:
The character of the team changed to more competent leaders, but most still required a great deal of energy to motivate them to achieve ambitious results.
If they were competent, then maybe THEY are not the problem??? Hmmmmm??? Besides, didn't he JUST say the first guys had been accomplishing these goals, whatever they were?
HEBRYJ said:
... but I am no longer alone. There are true leaders that buy into my expansive and aggressive vision without the need to push. They push themselves. This is truly an exceptional executive TEAM.
True leaders who will do what the fuck I tell them to do withput question is more like it.
HEBRYJ said:
...the last vestiges of passive aggressive intransigence and surreptitious disregard for ambitious goals is falling away.
This really sounds like some paranoid bullshit right here. They were all out to get me. I want my strawberries.

He needs to realize that sometimes, things succeed not because of the boss, but in spite of the boss.

That's about all I can stomach for now. The more I look, the more I dislike this self aggrandizing, "everything was all their fault", MOMMY LOOK AT ME piece of shit "letter".

I've heard all of this shit before, many times. You want to eat his shit. you go right ahead. I'm busy.

One more thing. Every time I hear some ASS HOLE talk smack about "teaming" I want to tear my own head off and eat it. These guys don't want teams, they want an army of personal flunkies.

Rock Johnson

Reaction score
Henry said: "Every profit center manger fought for an easier path, and many showed they did not believe this growth was possible in either word or action. Rather than leading change and improvement, I often felt I was pulling team mates with alternate personal views and agendas. When the weight of pulling them became too great, I had to make changes.

I always found team mates that could achieve these ambitious goals, but even those that could were narrowly focused and required a lot of my time an energy to push them. The character of the team changed to more competent leaders, but most still required a great deal of energy to motivate them to achieve ambitious results."

Let's think about this, really think about it for a minute. What Henry is saying here is that every single manager, since he took over almost twenty years ago, was either useless, just slightly less than useless, or refused to support him. Just think about that for one moment.

Who of us here has worked at one company for TWENTY FIVE YEARS and yet not had one single smart, motivated, dedicated manager? Put in better perspective, what this really means is that, by his own tacit admission, in twenty five years, Henry hasn't managed to hire a single decent manager.

Now...it's up to the reader to decide. What's more likely - that possibly dozens of hires have all been lousy managers, or that the CEO (the one constant at the company) is simply impossible to work for?

PINKBITS

Reaction score
Flick, do you seriously think that Henry would truly give a rat's arse about what YOU have to say?

Seriously, I just think if Henry cared about what people were saying, he'd simply start doing something about it.

Henry cares about money. MO MONEY :dude:

Ride on a Pony

Reaction score
As much as Henry will love that, it doesn't really have any substance whatsoever, aside from one, maybe two points.

Latest Threads