A need to step back for a moment

Jimmy3711

Reaction score
Hey All,

Looking for some advice and input. After focusing on pedal order for too long, one (that one being me) tends to get tunnel vision and may not see other possibilities. I recently got a new pedalboard and power supply and am trying to get my pedals organized. I'm looking for recommendations on order for the following:

Fulltone Fulldrive 3
Fulltone OCD
Dunlop Mini Crybaby
TC Electronics Corona Chorus
TC Electronics Tuner
Wampler Ego Compressor
EarthQuaker Dispatch Maker

I am running these into a Marshall Jubilee 2525h and 2525c depending on the venue.

The current order I have now is:

Tuner-Crybaby-Fulldrive3-OCD-Chorus-Compressor
Dispatch Maker in the Effects Loop

How would you order them?

Rich

Non sequitur
Reaction score
First off, there are no hard rules on this, only guidelines and suggestions. But as you asked, this is how I would order them; it's certainly not the only way and a good number of others would disagree with me on the chorus.

TC Electronics Tuner
Wampler Ego Compressor
Dunlop Mini Crybaby
Fulltone OCD
Fulltone Fulldrive 3

Reasoning:

Tuner first so there's no guessing of anything else being on and adding junk to your signal while tuning (try tuning with a chorus pedal turned on between your guitar and the tuner).

Compressor could also go after the drives, but I like it before drive so it's compressing the clean signal.

Wah is traditionally before overdrive/distortion and tends to sound - to me - too extreme after dirt.

I like chorus before dirt as it sounds too polite for my tastes when after dirt. Most other players like chorus after dirt.

Overdrive is before dirt since, presumably, you're using the Fulldrive as a distortion pedal and may use the OCD as one would in front of a gained up amp.

Echo/reverb last as that is an ambient effect and you're emulating what the rest of what you're doing sounds like in an artificial space. Though, East Bay Ray made great use of delay in front of a jacked up amp so the echo was actually before overdrive/distortion (see below).

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-D9VAP73oDY[/ame]

PRS

Reaction score
For me, it's worked out like this.....

Vibe first, always- I've never had a vibe that could tolerate being after any other pedals. Plus, they always sound best first in line.

Fuzz- After the vibe and before everything else. For essentially the same reason. Certain fuzzes hate buffers.

Compressor- Always before the dirt and after the vibe and fuzz. I only want to compress my guitar signal. Not my modulators, dirt's and wah.

Dirt's- Before the wah and modulators.

Wah- See above post.

Delay/Chorus/etc-After everything else.

Tuner- Last in line to act as a mute for everything else.

In a nutshell, dirts before wah, modulators after. Vibe being the exception.

sonar

Reaction score
TC Electronics Tuner
Wampler Ego Compressor
Dunlop Mini Crybaby
Fulltone OCD
Fulltone Fulldrive 3

I'd play around with the compressor and the chorus. Like Rich mentioned I'm one who prefers time based delay (chorus) toward the end of the chain, after dirt and before delay/reverb. I don't use compressors as an "always on" type pedal and would probably move it after the Wah. Everything else is about right for me, but I'm not you, so experiment a little.

I'd also get decent cables and a good power supply. Good power supply = Voodoo Lab.

Rich

Non sequitur
Reaction score
I'm not you, so experiment a little.

What sonar said. We can all give you opinions on how WE would do it but it all comes down to what YOU think sounds best to get the sounds YOU want. Switch 'em around in any order you want, you're not going to break anything. :)

bad565ss

Reaction score
For Me:
Crybaby
Compressor
Dirt/O.D.
Time effects / Delay, Chorus, Phaser
Tuner

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
I've got chorus after dirt (and delay, actually, but I'm going for rotary sounds, most of the time.) but I'm usually going into a dirty amp, so it does stay pretty dirty.
You really have to line them up on the floor and try it every way.

Jimmy3711

Reaction score
What sonar said. We can all give you opinions on how WE would do it but it all comes down to what YOU think sounds best to get the sounds YOU want. Switch 'em around in any order you want, you're not going to break anything. :)

Exactly! I'm looking for opinions to break my current tunnel vision. In the end, it absolutely will be what is best to my ears. I appreciate the feedback thus far.

Jimmy3711

Reaction score
I'd also get decent cables and a good power supply. Good power supply = Voodoo Lab.

I have Pedaltrain board and I have the Powertrain 1250 power supply mounted under it. So far it's been an excellent power supply for me.

Jimmy3711

Reaction score
As for chorus usage, I am not a huge user of it. It gets used on the occasional clean songs.

Guitar Rod

Reaction score
Here's how I'd do it.

Guitar > TC Electronics Tuner > Dunlop Mini Crybaby > Wampler Ego Compressor > Fulltone Fulldrive 3/Fulltone OCD (whichever has more distortion first) > Amp

Send > TC Electronics Corona Chorus > EarthQuaker Dispatch Maker > Return

scooter500

Reaction score
Jimmy, I don't have exactly the same brands but that aside, device for device, I have the same order as you with one exception, the compressor is after tuner.

Jimmy3711

Reaction score
Thanks again to everyone who has responded. This is very helpful on gaining some new insights. Truly appreciate all the knowledge and experience here.

SWeAT hOg

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Here's how I'd do it.

Guitar > TC Electronics Tuner > Dunlop Mini Crybaby > Wampler Ego Compressor > Fulltone Fulldrive 3/Fulltone OCD (whichever has more distortion first) > Amp

Send > TC Electronics Corona Chorus > EarthQuaker Dispatch Maker > Return

This is how I'd approach it. Sensible. The Canadian way. :D

Latest Threads