A long overdue silverburst build update

Hogie34

Reaction score
That is a beautiful build so far and the goldburst will obviously be the same!

jkes01

Reaction score
Looking great so far. As for shading, typically anywhere endgrain is exposed is sprayed with color since those areas usually look darker with finish anyway.

ARandall

Reaction score
You’re a master :wow:
that burst is a amazing
The Les Paul I showed for reference is a real Gibson.....so I cannot claim any work pride for that one.

Mine (which I've since done the burst on) is like this....although my camera lens never likes the filtered indoor light so the burst transitions have come out much more
DSC_0311.JPG
DSC_0312.JPG
DSC_0313.JPG
DSC_0314.JPG
DSC_0315.JPG
DSC_0316.JPG
abrupt in shot

ARandall

Reaction score
I Have actually got a (slight) start on the silverburst. And its hit a snag......
I knew I had only limited silver left from another silverburst Tele I'd done ages back. And I knew I'd only get some of the body area done with that. You can see that as I approach the headstock there is no coverage as I'd run out.....the body back is completely untouched.

DSC_0318.JPG

I had some new silver in a bag ready to go.....but I hadn't realised what I'd actually bought was silver sparkle
I knew it was probably not going to work, but I tried a pass or two on the top......but its a no-go. So its down to the completely overwhelmed covid-lockdown Victoria postal system as to when my hopeful replacement silver powder arrives.
DSC_0317.JPG

Christosterone

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Les Paul I showed for reference is a real Gibson.....so I cannot claim any work pride for that one.

Mine (which I've since done the burst on) is like this....although my camera lens never likes the filtered indoor light so the burst transitions have come out much more View attachment 496601 View attachment 496602 View attachment 496603 View attachment 496605 View attachment 496606 View attachment 496607 abrupt in shot
ahh...missed that

yours is gorgeous though...u are a man of great talent
i LOVE bursted headstocks....

as an aside, I cannot work on ES models...it’s the reason I don’t own one....
am always envious of them...yours is a beauty

-chris

jkes01

Reaction score
For some strange reason the camera also flips the guitar the wrong way. :cool:

JK, looks really good.

mudface

Boo Bee
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Mine (which I've since done the burst on) is like this....although my camera lens never likes the filtered indoor light so the burst transitions have come out much more View attachment 496601 View attachment 496602 View attachment 496603 View attachment 496605 View attachment 496606 View attachment 496607 abrupt in shot
Obviously this build is for you,... should have noticed the lefty aspect :cheers:

ARandall

Reaction score
Yeah,

Its why I build.......I just can't leave the 'I wonder what x sort of guitar would sound like' alone.....so I just have to build one because in Australia even the bare fraction of guitars built lefty are only sporadically brought in.
The local shop does both Fender and Gibson, and MIM and Studio is the highest level I've seen in LH

Here are a few currently in the 'spray booth' stage that I have either been building, or taking older crappy finishes on and stripping/re-doing
DSC_0320.JPG

ARandall

Reaction score
After getting both some time free from work.....the silver having come in....and mixed up some colour for the burst I wanted to try and get some real progress on the silverburst.
Alas......still not enough silver. I was prepared enough so that I knew I could do the guitar partially to completion of colour and then lock it in with some ambered clear. So the rear got no coverage, and the rest got plenty enough to get the guitar done.

The burst on the front isn't the best I've done, and the reflections make it look way worse than it is in all the pics I took. But that makes it actually more accurate for the late 70's......where so many of them have the 'sprayer's first day on the gun' look. On the upside....the headstock and the neck/sides look just right.

DSC_0327.JPG
DSC_0328.JPG
DSC_0329.JPG
DSC_0330.JPG
DSC_0331.JPG
DSC_0332.JPG

Daniel.S

Reaction score
After getting both some time free from work.....the silver having come in....and mixed up some colour for the burst I wanted to try and get some real progress on the silverburst.
Alas......still not enough silver. I was prepared enough so that I knew I could do the guitar partially to completion of colour and then lock it in with some ambered clear. So the rear got no coverage, and the rest got plenty enough to get the guitar done.

The burst on the front isn't the best I've done, and the reflections make it look way worse than it is in all the pics I took. But that makes it actually more accurate for the late 70's......where so many of them have the 'sprayer's first day on the gun' look. On the upside....the headstock and the neck/sides look just right.

View attachment 500268 View attachment 500269 View attachment 500270 View attachment 500271 View attachment 500272 View attachment 500273
Yeah, that’s cool man!

ARandall

Reaction score
Got the yellow on, and did I think a pretty good job of making it look like an old one (from a distance at least!!).
The serial number is in the late 70's format, but the numbers denote my actual day of birth.

A bit of a false start on the back.....sprayed on a day that was too hot and the lacquer bubbled - so I had to strip most of it off again and do some dropfill to make it dead level ready for the silver.
Take 2 is coming once I get a middling warm day.
DSC_0334.JPG
DSC_0335.JPG
DSC_0336.JPG

Daniel.S

Reaction score
Got the yellow on, and did I think a pretty good job of making it look like an old one (from a distance at least!!).
The serial number is in the late 70's format, but the numbers denote my actual day of birth.

A bit of a false start on the back.....sprayed on a day that was too hot and the lacquer bubbled - so I had to strip most of it off again and do some dropfill to make it dead level ready for the silver.
Take 2 is coming once I get a middling warm day. View attachment 502269 View attachment 502270 View attachment 502271
That's a very sparkly silver.

ARandall

Reaction score
Its is!!

A bit more than what a vintage one would have been.....but I was finding it very hard to find suitable silver metallic flake this time around. So I went with one which looked like a quite fine particle size - but was a bit more than I'd expected. :dunno:
Oh well......it looks much better if the camera flash is off

Latest Threads