A guitar for just testing mods/changes...

NoRythm_LP

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
With the thought of getting a project guitar to change some/all the pieces and parts out for trials/demo/etc... Any particular year(s) and model(s) that is a go-to "lab rat guitar"? Is an R9 better to make mods to than say an R7 or an R0 or does one just pick up a basic used 2014 Standard as an example.

Said another way, I don't want to modify any of my current Les Pauls and am looking for another one to be a "victim" of my learning/trials...

NoRythm_LP

Reaction score
Sounds like a good plan to go the Studio route... Thank you.

smk506

Reaction score
I personally wouldn’t use a custom shop guitar to experiment on, I’d probably use a Studio model.
+1. A cheap one. Like repaired headstock cheap.

Although now hat I think about, the idea of needing a test bed has always seemed kinda weird to me, especially considering changed on one guitar don’t always translate when done on a different guitar.

OP, what kind of mods are you worried about doing to one of your regular guitars? Pretty much anything worth doing can be easily undone.

Rob the Photog

Reaction score
... the idea of needing a test bed has always seemed kinda weird to me, especially considering changed on one guitar don’t always translate when done on a different guitar.
This is so very, very true. A mod that brings one guitar to life might have little to no effect on a different guitar of the same model. Might even make it worse. You really never know until you try your mods on the specific guitar that you want to change.

Macronaut

Reaction score
I bought a Tribute a few years ago thinking I could use it to experiment with pups, hardware, super heavy strings for dropped tuning, etc. I have yet to make a single change to it......just sayin' .

judson

Reaction score
yes years back i thought i was going to do the same with just one guitar...

well once i did the mod whatever it was i usually liked it alot and just left the guitar as it was since i really like the way it played....didnt want to change it out.

so now my total is in double digits for "lab rat guitars" :slap:

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Reaction score
yes years back i thought i was going to do the same with just one guitar...

well once i did the mod whatever it was i usually liked it alot and just left the guitar as it was since i really like the way it played....didnt want to change it out.

so now my total is in double digits for "lab rat guitars" :slap:
LOL!!!

I bought my recent Studio Deluxe without knowing it was one till I got there!

I went for a 'cheaper' LP style guitar to try some new pickups in.

Once the Studio was demoed for me and I found out all the deetz on the pull knobs and pickups, I ended up in the same boat!

Now I have another guitar, it wasn't cheap, I won't change a thing, sounds and plays great as is... and I still need a home for these pickups!!!

drpietrzak

Reaction score
The things that affected perceived impact my 2005 LP Standard and 2013 Studio appear to be different.

jvin248

Reaction score

Get one of the Epiphone Special IIs and make your mods.
(hint: wood doesn't matter so don't screw up a good guitar)

ACEit

Reaction score
You need a "reliable" guitar if you want to use it for "experiments".
I mean.. if the wood has some tonal flaw or a very distinct character it will mantain it no matter what...
you can change it with the mods but cannot completely solve it.

eg. I have a 2017 traditional.... even unplugged you can ear it has boxy midrange and it's prone to some natural rattling/distorsion ...I use it as my lab project. completely rewired, hi quality pots ( tried many different values from 475 to 550 ) and caps, swapped at least 3 set of boutique pickups, faber studs and locking bridge,...I change EVERYTHING... more than once.
The only thing I succeed has been to trasform the flaws in "personality".... the boxy tone and the inclination to easy growl when overdrived are still there even if "enhanced" by the mods.. but now they make it my preferred guitar when I'm in search of that specifc tone.
but in some way it is way much more "specialized" than my others Lps....

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get a blank body from stratosphere...
I think I paid $599 for this 2016 studio HP body....
Routed a third pup cavity and I’m a horrible solderer....

So far I’ve kept it as I originally installed it 490/57+/498

I’ve done a few stratosphere builds...love them all...from SG to cobalt standard(routed 3rd pup also)

Rando375

Reaction score
I bought a Tribute a few years ago thinking I could use it to experiment with pups, hardware, super heavy strings for dropped tuning, etc. I have yet to make a single change to it......just sayin' .
I did this same thing. It was a great guitar in its own right & ended up selling it exactly how I bought it.

jb_abides

Reaction score
LPJ makes a super mod platform at a nice price...

judson

Reaction score
LOL!!!

I bought my recent Studio Deluxe without knowing it was one till I got there!

I went for a 'cheaper' LP style guitar to try some new pickups in.

Once the Studio was demoed for me and I found out all the deetz on the pull knobs and pickups, I ended up in the same boat!

Now I have another guitar, it wasn't cheap, I won't change a thing, sounds and plays great as is... and I still need a home for these pickups!!!
i have a box of pickups now that i dont know why or what i am doing with them.......so what did i do ? i just bought a set of Sigil 68 Chicago Bluesman getting here tomorrow and i already started looking for a husk or something to put them in..

i have a studio that might get them but i think i look for excuses to buy more guitars....i have been limiting my purchase believe it or not but the hunt now is for a 1968/69 LP which will be pricey but i am telling myself it will cool the GAS off for a few years...

why do i lie to myself so often...:dunno:

Macronaut

Reaction score
i have a box of pickups now that i dont know why or what i am doing with them.......so what did i do ? i just bought a set of Sigil 68 Chicago Bluesman getting here tomorrow and i already started looking for a husk or something to put them in..

i have a studio that might get them but i think i look for excuses to buy more guitars....i have been limiting my purchase believe it or not but the hunt now is for a 1968/69 LP which will be pricey but i am telling myself it will cool the GAS off for a few years...

why do i lie to myself so often...:dunno:
GAS has no on/off, only a intensity level.

Latest Threads