A Guitar for Christmas

Meatwad

Reaction score
I still remember getting my first guitar on Christmas morning 1971.
It was a gift from my Aunt Martha, who passed away a few years ago.

I still have that sucker - an Emenee Tiger Sunburst.
A plastic piece of crap that was good enough for me to learn cowboy chords on, and how to read music.

Anyway - my little great great nephew has shown an interest in my guitars lately. (He likes my Les Paul the best - he says "that's your only rock and roll guitar." :)
We were talking this morning about his music class while I was taking him to school, and he mentioned that he'd like to learn guitar more than any other instrument.
He's eight, so a regular sized guitar would be a pain for little hands, so I just ordered a Yamaha Jr. for him as a Christmas gift.

I don't know how serious he'll be about it, but if he really wants to learn, Uncle Meatwad will be giving him lessons.

As for my little 4 year old great great niece, she usually walks in my room, crosses her arms, and says, "why do you need all these guitars?"
She gets a lump of coal.
She's gonna make some guy miserable one of these days.:rofl:

bilbarstow

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
says, "why do you need all these guitars?"
She gets a lump of coal.
My wife did the same EXACT thing.

and yet, at the same time she said : "You really should hang them on the walls, it would look good"

talk about mixed messages ? (and the walls of the one room I'm "allowed" do not have any wall-space that will work. Exterior Windows, a Closet and door, and the little unobstructed wall space is required for my workstation desk.)

Tone deaf

Reaction score
I still remember getting my first guitar on Christmas morning 1971.
It was a gift from my Aunt Martha, who passed away a few years ago.

I still have that sucker - an Emenee Tiger Sunburst.
A plastic piece of crap that was good enough for me to learn cowboy chords on, and how to read music.

Anyway - my little great great nephew has shown an interest in my guitars lately. (He likes my Les Paul the best - he says "that's your only rock and roll guitar." :)
We were talking this morning about his music class while I was taking him to school, and he mentioned that he'd like to learn guitar more than any other instrument.
He's eight, so a regular sized guitar would be a pain for little hands, so I just ordered a Yamaha Jr. for him as a Christmas gift.

I don't know how serious he'll be about it, but if he really wants to learn, Uncle Meatwad will be giving him lessons.

As for my little 4 year old great great niece, she usually walks in my room, crosses her arms, and says, "why do you need all these guitars?"
She gets a lump of coal.
Holy crap! I think we are twins separated at birth. Are those Tough Skins?

We're a couple of ugly ducklings that grew up into beautiful swans...

I have given my niece and nephews three guitars, so far. They have all loved them. I am planning on buying the most musical family a full drum kit. That is really designed to piss off my sister more than to foster musicality.

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny coincidence. My older sisters bought me an electric guitar for Christams - - also in 1971. It was a cheapie they probably bought at the mall they worked at.

The plastic tuners were so hard to turn I couldn't turn them at all, so genius that I am decides to pull out dad's pliers and teach that sucker a lesson. Needles to say, it didn't work out well.

dave b

Reaction score
Me too. First guitar ( a Silvertone from Sears) was for Christmas in '68 or '69. Isn't that sad?. I honestly can't remember which year. :facepalm:

Lex

Reaction score
My first guitar was a Chiquita Travel Guitar. Got it for Christmas when I was 5. It came with a paid lesson. My one lesson, the guy taught me how to play the Day Tripper note progression. Somehow, I got it down that day. Dad was impressed... but I never went back for another lesson. I think he figured I could do it myself? I don't know why my Dad took me for a lesson. He was a studio guitar player. I think he really just did not want me playing with his adult guitars.
Don't have a pic, but it was like this one:

LP1865

Reaction score
Last Christmas, my parents got me my first electrical guitar, my one and only Epiphone Les Paul.
After years of playing on a $60 guitar, this guitar was amazing, nice thick neck, better tuners, a wide variety of tones and overall a better playing guitar.
Merry Christmas!!!

Dolebludger

Reaction score
My first was a 1959 Silvertone built by harmony, and a Silvertone tube amp with 8" speaker. The guitar didn't have an adjutible truss rod, and bowed like hell. So I then got a 1961 Gibson SG LP Standard with the side pull trem, and a bigger Silvertone amp with 15" speaker. Still have the LP SG, but the amps ae long gone. I don't have any grandchildrn with any interst in guitar. But my granddaughter can really sing (at age 9). That is looking good!

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
My first guitar was so long ago I don't even remember it. My first electric was an epi strat. The same model Cobain played. I was 9or10 I think

Latest Threads