A guitar comfortable for strapping high, closest to that LP feel/tone

PetarA

Reaction score
I am aware this has been done to death (kind of...a more comfortable alternatives)...
And yes, i am absolutely aware there is no replacement for LP...
And yes...i had / have LP...but it is not the point...

Holding guitar high gives me best control over an instrument...while i LOVE LP, especially the Worn series... big neck, big frets, raw finish, tone...resonance...tom bridge...everything, really...

So, it is an interesting challenge...and i am asking this question to possibly find out if i might be overseeing some model already on the market as kind of les paulish alternative in more comfortable form...

SG is nice, but not what i am after..to thin and too thin...a beautiful instrument overall, but does not fit teh bill...at least few i have tried so far...
Viper might be closer, haven't tried one yet..
Eclipse might be interesting to try as well...although also might be too thin bodied...
PRS...somehow not my taste...i do not like bling guitars...no matter what.. (i like their John Mayer sig though)..its irrational, yet it si what it is...so far at least...
Ibanez Artists (i had it) or Yamaha SGs are awesome..but too much Les Paulish in that department...(whats weird i have found Yamaha SG1000s which is actually thinner, but didnt like it)

There is a number of set/ or neck thru mahogany HH (super)strats.: Schecter C1, Esp (LTD) Horizons and many variations...and i think those are my best answer so far...but havent tried almost none of those, except 7 string Schecter which had awesome feel...while being too gothic...but great sounding instrument...

In your personal experiences, what would you suggest as much similar in tone and playability wise, yet being a bit more appropriate for strapping higher...?
I will add that scale length is not that much of a factor at all...
Thank you!

edit:
here i am adding some possible options that i like, which seem to be roughly in a ballpark... question is do you have experience and which one is least distant from kind of the beefy LP sound.....
Thank you!

Attachments

Last edited:

PetarA

Reaction score
have you tried one of the thin bodied LPs with a belly cut?
Thank you, interesting input...
But it would feel , for the luck of the better word, somehow obviously inferior. to me (even if it sounds good, and obviously it does...it woudl keep bothering how much even better would been full thickness)...
here is nice vid on the topic... (
)

Last edited:

PetarA

Reaction score
Why inferior? I have a custom shop lp dc. Has a body that is a little thinner and a belly cut. Great guitar.
Sorry for not being more clear.... not a good term.. i meant to explain that i would always feel i should go with the full thickness...especially if it sounds that good even thinner...

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have to play them. Take your strap and spend some time. My thin bodied Melody Maker has a thin, carved top LP body and sounds as good as any thick bodied LP. Thick does not equal tone.

PierM

Reaction score
Sorry for not being more clear.... not a good term.. i meant to explain that i would always feel i should go with the full thickness...especially if it sounds that good even thinner...
Doesnt make any sense sir.

Anyway, there are full thickness LPs with a belly cut. Are those inferior too?

Moni

Banned
Reaction score
But it would feel , for the luck of the better word, somehow obviously inferior. to me (even if it sounds good, and obviously it does...it woudl keep bothering how much even better would been full thickness)...
)
I had an ESP Iron Cross Hetfield model with a belly cut. It turned out to be another ESP guitar that didn’t do it for me so it parted ways but don’t knock the belly cuts!

1596D46F-62AF-49DA-9622-BD4CAAA3BF88.jpeg
5C263DE3-DCB8-4382-8156-5D967E0BE6D7.jpeg

Last edited:

MSB

Banned
Reaction score
)
i won't say inferior, because you tried to correct yourself, but if you think a thinner body is "less than" a thicker one, then there are A LOT of people out there with studios and tributes that got the shaft :laugh2:

Caretaker

Reaction score
Try out a Yamaha SG series.
They have been great guitars since the 70`s.

PierM

Reaction score
)
With all the due respect for the guys, forget about these silly tests, just listen someone who knows how to play a Les Paul;

Lites:

MSB

Banned
Reaction score
The accepted term for people that need a belly cut is "fluffy"
i'm not fat, but i play a lot sitting down and that's where the bely cut shines, doesn't make a difference to me standing. But it sure doesn't hurt if you are "fluffy."

PetarA

Reaction score
You have to play them. Take your strap and spend some time. My thin bodied Melody Maker has a thin, carved top LP body and sounds as good as any thick bodied LP. Thick does not equal tone.
Doesnt make any sense sir.

Anyway, there are full thickness LPs with a belly cut. Are those inferior too?
I had no intention to sound insulting..its only my own perspective... i am not saying thinner instruments are not great...i mean, most, if not all, at least popular, solid bodies are thiner then LP, so what..
But LP lite is less full sounding than full thickness LP, period. The same goes for SG...thats the way it is... in my ears

Purpose of this thread was to possibly try to find a model which would suit me... so, most probably some kind of strat shaped + LP recipe construction / materials... nothing new... just asking what comes close in your own experience...
Surely it is a compromise and hardly it will be near...but hey, that is why i opened the topic...
When saying inferior, in my eyes, yes, LP lite is inferior Les Paul..not bad, actually great, but lesser. My own opinion, whats wrong with that.

Are you looking for something as thick as a Les Paul but with belly carve? Check out ESP E-II Eclipse Full Thickness.
Actually eclipse of not full thickness woudl be more appropriate for high strapping, and is one of teh candidates...
Belly cut does not help much for my intention...
I love the gold top...
I am on the borderline for PRSs... too fancy for me....but thats gold top, if it would be fixed bridge is possibly one of the best options, yes... thanks!
i won't say inferior, because you tried to correct yourself, but if you think a thinner body is "less than" a thicker one, then there are A LOT of people out there with studios and tributes that got the shaft :laugh2:
I had only LP studios, 3 of them... and yes, they were great to me...Worn series my favorite... but if it would be thicker, my guess is it most probably yes, would be fuller sounding than the one i had, which is a plus...
Try out a Yamaha SG series.
They have been great guitars since the 70`s.
I had, actually the thinner 1000s series...beautiful, great playing guitar... but i liked ruggedness of the LPJ i was checking out at the same period much more...

Thats it...!:DDD

I had an ESP Iron Cross Hetfield model with a belly cut. It turned out to be another ESP guitar that didn’t do it for me so it parted ways but don’t knock the belly cuts!

View attachment 413398 View attachment 413399
I love Metallica and JH...but that wouldnt help much, no... thank you!

Not sure I understand the need for a belly cut, on an high strapped guitar.
This

[/QUOTE]

Latest Threads