A graduate in our house

cybermgk

“No such thing as fun for the whole family"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
My Eldest graduated H.S today. I was surprised by how much it hit me emotionally, but there you go. He looked so grown-up walking down the aisle, with his cap and gown, academic medal (for a VERY small $100/semester scholarship) and Honor Roll pins on.

I am very proud of him. He and I have been through a lot together , and he has been my support, right along the way, as I, his. Yet he has persevered and 'soldiered' on. In many ways he has grown into my best friend, and I like to think he feels similar.

I am not afraid to admit, I kept tearing up during the ceremony. He is my baby boy, my eldest son, and now my son, the man. It is both a time of happiness, but sorrow as it is the first steps of him moving on with his life, and not necessarily ours together any more.

In fact, he was only 50 ft away, from where I sat. At times, looking at him, I would tear me up. My son was growing up. When some of the Seniors did an acoustical cover of Green Day's Time of your life, I really had a rough spot.

But, I looked at him then, and he looked at me. Our eyes met, and I could tell he was silently thanking me for being there for him, and giving me his metaphorical shoulder to use. He also let me know in that look that no matter what, it would be okay, and he would be there for me. Much as I had many times to him over the years during some of the roughest patches we faced.

So, congratulations to my son, my pride and joy, on the first milestone on his beginning life of an adult. He has always, and will always make me proud to be his father and friend, and happy to know him.

(Yes, I have told him all of this and more, specially today)

Last edited:

acstorfer

Reaction score
A graduation is a ceremony that should be celebrated by the whole family. Congratulations to your son, and congratulations to you for raising a son who is fastly becoming a man.

X–Ray

Cowbell by Misadventure
Reaction score
Bittersweet...

Congrats and the best as you both embark on Life's next set of adventures

fett

I can see for miles and smiles.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Congrats to your son. :thumb: My son grew up in Bad Times. It was he watching his mom die from MS. It was the three of us attempting to live what the cards dealt.

Roberteaux

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Ah, life... even the highest and happiest of moments hit ya like that...

No, make that especially the highest and happiest of moments!

Congratulations to the young man... but also to you, sir. You've done quite well.

--R :applause:

Frogfur

Reaction score
hey that is just really great! I was a single parent at one time so i know how
you feel here.
Boss..

Kalamazuu

Reaction score
Congrats to him, and congrats to you!
I'll be graduating myself, this Thursday. :thumb:

Rocknropes

Reaction score
Wait until you see him graduate from US Army/Marine Corps/Air Force/Navy basic training...

:)

JeffBlue

Banned
Reaction score
Congrats to you both. Another milestone in many more to come. Nothing better than pride in watching your child become an adult......as well as not wanting to let go.

Latest Threads