A Gentler Form of Genocide

Bill Hicklin

Reaction score
Me too. In fact, whilst in no way passing judgment on the post that started this thread, I do find a lot of the things written in here about Asian countries in particular to be quite misguided and offensive. One can see lots of that sort of thing directed at other countries than the United States in the Backstage. Not wishing to get into arguments with people, I tend to leave it alone. However, I do believe that the prohibition on politics only applies to US stuff.

From this link:

Politics and political posting on this forum ( which is against the rules ) is defined as US party politics and commentary, pro or con, effigies or satire pictures, memes, "goof" pictures etc of politicians of any particular party or ideology, such as liberal, conservative, democrat, republican, left wing, right wing, Presidential politics, campaign politics or those running for the office of POTUS or their campaign staff, political pundit discussion, etc.

Thus, China seems to be fair game, as are North Korea, the Middle East and a bunch of other places. I'm not sure why the mods decided this, but there you go.

As a Brit who lived for years in Australia, Austria and now Japan for many years, but also as someone who has never spent longer than a week or two in America at any given time, I try not to make statements about the internal politics of the US both here and in general discourse because I figure that it's not my place. I think that it would be rude of me to do so, and I would also be at a high risk of making ignorant statements because I lack direct knowledge and context.

There are surely other online communities where political discourse of almost any kind would be both welcome and appropriate, but it seems strange on a site dedicated to guitars. I honestly feel that it would be nice if people who didn't live in a given country or didn't know a lot about it extended the same courtesy to others on this forum - and especially if members from the US chose to do so, as their internal politics are already protected by forum rules - but that may perhaps be too much to ask.

It was a pragmatic decision by the mods, addressing the reality of the site not its Platonic ideal. While we certainly have members from around the world, the overwhelming majority are Americans, and therefore it is US politics that tend to escalate into shitstorms and flamewars that the Mods are sick of putting out.

This tends not to happen discussing North Korean or Chinese politics.

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
And it's a pretty sly kind of way to do it, too. Rather than to run Nazi-style death camps and put up with the opprobrium of other nations-- especially the nuclear-armed ones that China cannot subjugate directly-- the Chinese government is committing a sort of soft genocide... a kinder, gentler ethnic cleansing that's not so smelly or messy as the slaughterhouse-style, conveyor-belt death mills of yore.
not to simplify the matter __ but I was always under the impression that the Muslim population was a large part of the slave trade / labor camps . why would the Chinese government want to eliminate the people that they exploit the most ?

Comanche

Reaction score
I won’t buy an Epiphone unless its made in Korea.

Roberteaux

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
not to simplify the matter __ but I was always under the impression that the Muslim population was a large part of the slave trade / labor camps . why would the Chinese government want to eliminate the people that they exploit the most ?
Because the Uighurs have a very strong and well-pronounced resentment of rule of Beijing... and also because their method of expressing dissidence sometimes involves a terrorist response.

It doesn't help that the Uighurs are largely practitioners of a certain religion, while the Chinese Communist Party proscribes the practice of any religion whatsoever.

--R

KP11520

Reaction score
With the amount of stupidity delirious America seems to think changing to would be refreshing, articles and discussions of other countries that are of the persuasion of where we seem to be heading (especially their humanity failures) seems to be a better way of discussing what could eventually be, in a less heated culture dish examination. Without breaking rules.

Precluding this would be quite a political statement to itself as it would be assisting a slide to where most DON'T want to go by ignoring the reasons and failures of other countries where what we have would be no more.

It's mind boggling how twisted the brain remapping has gotten to twist everything to assist taking everything that is good down. The new heroes of the shit for brains peer groups.

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
Because the Uighurs have a very strong and well-pronounced resentment of rule of Beijing... and also because their method of expressing dissidence sometimes involves a terrorist response.

It doesn't help that the Uighurs are largely practitioners of a certain religion, while the Chinese Communist Party proscribes the practice of any religion whatsoever.

--R
a subject that I'm going to have to do some reading on / I'm sort of lost on the issue
F*ck China. Biggest threat to the Western way of life. And we helped build it. There's my contribution.
for the love of cheap goods and lots of them

jb_abides

Reaction score

--R

Also, the Han / Beijing faction ruling China / CCP has no compunction exploiting other Chinese ethnicities once they run out of Uyghur.

Of course, the internal pressures in China could alter this whole vector. And recent trade and boycott actions may push things in this direction....

To wit: India has a particular take on these matters, especially given the recent border skirmish and the toll coronavirus has taken there. 'The Frustrated Indian' blog / channel is hugely popular (like WION) and provides the globe with a perspective on how India regards geopolitics vis-a-vis the Rise of China:

More on the Uyghur camps:

Roxy13

Reaction score
Actually I think most Chinese do have access to the internet, although not to everything on it. I have some friends there that I have met online and I talk to them. They always tell me it's more democratic than it used to be.

They definitely all have cell phones. One of my friends visited China a couple of years ago and they were very fascinated with him because he's black. So they would stop him constantly and ask to take his picture.

But, yes, my friends in China are allowed to use FB and Google Hangouts and Skype.

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
One of my friends visited China a couple of years ago and they were very fascinated with him because he's black. So they would stop him constantly and ask to take his picture.
that's hilarious . ( I can see it . but still ) . did anyone ask him to freestyle ?

Roxy13

Reaction score
that's hilarious . ( I can see it . but still ) . did anyone ask him to freestyle ?
Some asked if he was a basketball player. Apparently they really like the NBA there. I know one of my Chinese friends loves basketball. He was hoping to come here and meet Kobe Bryant, sadly.

He got a kick out of it and took pics with any of them that asked.

Crotch

Triggered
Premium Member
Reaction score
When my wife goes to China for work a few times a year she has no access to Facebook or social media. Google is blocked (shockingly cause they're basically run the Chinese playbook on censorship) but you can access parts of Yahoo or/or Baidu but can not access American News sites but can get the BBC.

Last edited:

jb_abides

Reaction score
Actually I think most Chinese do have access to the internet, although not to everything on it. I have some friends there that I have met online and I talk to them. They always tell me it's more democratic than it used to be.

They definitely all have cell phones. One of my friends visited China a couple of years ago and they were very fascinated with him because he's black. So they would stop him constantly and ask to take his picture.

But, yes, my friends in China are allowed to use FB and Google Hangouts and Skype.
Internet is highly filtered, monitored, and controlled. Many companies won't let employees take electronics there, you need burners.

More democratic? They get to chose from a pre-determined menu of essentially the same choice with different flavors. Not exactly the Athenian ideal or the American system of representational republic of federated states.

They are careful what they say. Probably earn social credit points for being good at self-discipline and subtle propaganda. That and they are bought in, explicitly or implicitly. Those in the middle / upper classes have little motivation to fight, and absolutely zero power base to do so. Even the oligarchs can't get out of line at risk of being crushed.

jb_abides

Reaction score
Some asked if he was a basketball player. Apparently they really like the NBA there. I know one of my Chinese friends loves basketball. He was hoping to come here and meet Kobe Bryant, sadly.

He got a kick out of it and took pics with any of them that asked.
The NBA has effectively become a CCP front, surely an apologist. Thinking critically, do you not find it interesting their first assumption was he played basketball and find this endearing versus a sign of racism?

This gentleman reconstructs his experiences

Did you see the massive discriminatory clampdown on blacks as coronavirus swept Hubei province?

There used to be dark-skinned Chinese. Used to be... :hmm:

Roxy13

Reaction score
The NBA has effectively become a CCP front, surely an apologist. Thinking critically, do you not find it interesting their first assumption was he played basketball and find this endearing versus a sign of racism?

This gentleman reconstructs his experiences

Did you see the massive discriminatory clampdown on blacks as coronavirus swept Hubei province?

There used to be dark-skinned Chinese. Used to be... :hmm:
I wasn't there. HE didn't feel he was being discriminated against or being treated with racism. So why would I think that?

Latest Threads