A few items for sale & very colorful & and entertaining observations about selling !

Status
Not open for further replies.

changeling93305

Reaction score
You ready for this?

So anyways. I sell about about 15-20 items a year. I love to play and love to try out new gear. I'll browse around for bargains to and don't mind making a little profit off it to support my habit. Some idiot flagged my post on CL today for no reason other than i refused to sell him one 25 dollar pedal when i am looking to sell a lot of 8 various pedals for 200$. So i have pondered and meditated on it and these are my observations about our options of selling gear online.

CL

On craigslist you have about 80% absolute junk gear. I am not talking MIM strats, and epiphone Les paul standards. I mean Squire, Esteban, Cort, Ibanez sound gear. Really bad crap with people hitting relist every week. It is also home to people asking 125% of what their instrument is worth ( compared to the lowest online price) . You want an american strat? Well you can buy one used with a 30 day guarantee from GC for 800$ or you can buy one from some remorseful seller on CL who wants 1000$ for his and is selling it at a "sacrifice" price because he needs the money and he just paid 1200 new for it two years ago. and it still has the case. Also home to automated flagging and there is always the off chance you get shot or mugged for your gear.

EBAY

Awww alas Feebay. Unfortunately this is were most of my guitars go. You will eventually sell here. But you pay 13.5% total fee's including paypal and you pay for shipping. What irks me about this route is if i am gonna pay 150$ dollars in fee's and shipping i would rather instead sell it here on MLP, or CL locally and discount the price by 150$ accordingly and offer a more equitable deal to a true gear aficionado (we'll get to online forums next). But no ebay is usually where it goes. Here you have to be on your toes for remorseful buyers. Protect yourself from them by taking all the pictures of every single blemish you can find. Because if you leave out one hairline scratch Ebay will decide against you when your buyer wants a refund because he claims it was "not as described" and Ebay knows the buyer is always right every time after all their customer service arbitrators in india that you speak with over the phone are experts on matters like condition and alleged problems with tuning stability and intonation. But overall it's a small risk and make sure you always get insurance.

ONLINE FORUMS

This one is new to me, and it has idealistic potential. A instrument bazaar for gearheads made by gearheads. Initial impressions are, some sites want you to be a premium member with a yearly fee. Not happening sorry. If i am gonna pay a fee to sell it is going on Reverb or Ebay. Others want you to have minimum post count. Reasonable, that would weed out some spammers and junk dealers. However to a newbie that wants to decide if it is even worth it in the first place, probably not a good first avenue. Now onto mylespaul... Overall great site. Less argumentative and trolly (see ultimate guitar for trolls and flame threads) and seems to have a more mature and intelligent discourse going on across the board.

Now as to selling here in my experience (or perhaps on forums in general ?). It's kinda like fantasy football, you know what that is right? You go on, you look at what guitar you could have, with imaginary funds that you might be willing to spend. And you get really close to action to. Like Peyton Manning throwing a touchdown on your Espn roster. You can almost feel that Gibson traditional Les Paul, you think about what your wife would say and process the little bit of doubt in the pit of your stomach. You feel that rush of excitement when you click to enlarge the thumbnail jpeg. You can hear with such clarity in your head the sweetness of those upgraded Lollar or Throback pickups in comparison to the standard burstbuckers you make due with now. But in the end you are safe and do not get tackled by an offensive lineman because you don't actually purchase the guitar.

Now that's not really a horrible thing. Admiring a guitar and giving someone a bump with a GLWTS is a nice gesture. But what i do see is that the instruments are offered here at 10-15% less than the lowest price available online. And the hit count of page views will be double or even triple of what i will get ebay where the guitar actually sells. So i know ya'll are looking at them. But alas it sells on ebay not here. And half the time it sells to some kid in the Russian federation or Brazil who saved his money for 5 years to fulfill his dream to see Metallica in a soccer stadium with 90.000 other people and has just enough left over to spend 600$ on my guitar. Bless his heart, but corporate globalism sure does suck. End rant.

So here's to hoping the community brotherhood of musicians supports itself. Best of luck to us all.

and P.S,

Check out my Gibson Eb-3, and Fender road worn tele and pedal lot on here if you get a chance. Look at my other posts to locate them.

Best,
Changeling93305

freebyrd 69

Reaction score
:shock: WTF? First of all, wrong section. We have a "backstage" section for these nonsensical ramblings.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv4CcuwrKvA]Chris Farley BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH - YouTube[/ame]

freebyrd 69

Reaction score
Second, this is a great place to buy/sell/trade. It does help, however, if you simply list your gear and put a price rather than go on a big rant and then ask us to seek out your gear in a different thread (for which you could have AT LEAST provided the link).

Good luck.

rockinlespaul

Oxblood Addict
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
You might as well move on to TGP now....:laugh2:

FWIW....the great times for flipping/buying/selling, etc....that boat sailed when the economy dumped.

Glad I was in though. It was a GREAT time and I got to try/own many, many very nice historics, etc. Made lots of money too. :D

Good luck....

toymaker

Reaction score
Ok..well if we are sharing feelings on the various sites

CL - Full of absolute crap, most of which is over priced...but cost nothing to post - of course your going to find 99.8% of the viewers are the weirdest .2 of the population as a group (the other .2 are Nigerian scammers looking to have you cash a check for 3800 more than your 200 asking price and asking only that you return 3300 via green dot or WU and keep 500 for your trouble).

eBay - fees, but hey don't like it, find a bigger market with more bang for your buck. You will get the eyeball views and if you need a safe/secure worldwide market of EVERYONE...this is your best bet.

Forums - I don't get why people complain about small fees. Most offer monthly access if they charge to post FS items, and not like they are making fortunes. There is 1 way forums make money...AD'S. Now that can be annoying banners, dealer sponsorship or classifieds. If dealer X is being asked to pay $100 monthly...only to have the visitors they attract from the site come back and say "look, this person posted the same thing on the site today in the classifieds for a lower price" how is this fair? The private seller gets free use of a site compliments of the dealers...who they are in a limited sense competing with. Of course if the dealer gets enough support - it's ok, after all no one expects everyone to buy and never resell. Finally, putting a small fee on posting privileges ensures forums keep out the scammers and sleeve to a surprising degree...look at the good dealings sections and tell me ANY online marketplace can compete with those numbers. Sure, a lot of people will stick to Evay or Reverb and pay AFTER they sell...but if you price stuff reasonably, odds are it will sell on a forum (and you will net more profit after membership).

Or an even better idea - take those small things that are barely worth the cost of shipping and pass the along in the FREE sections or donate to one of many schools or programs who will gladly accept cheap used pedals, made in Asia guitars or anything musical you have to dispose of in exchange for a tax write off. Just because it's low grade to you, doesn't mean someone else wouldn't love it like it was high dollar vintage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads