A Few Fun Projects

Mr. Beef

Custom Refins/Restoration
Reaction score
In the time spent in between spaying clear coats and waiting for nitro to harden so I can freeze the guitars, I decided to work on a few projects for my own collection, or to sell since I have WAY too many guitars.

Here's a few of the projects. After doing the Explorer, I decided that I really like doing the unique finishes and getting a little creative.

This was a plain old black 2002 Explorer. I did a burst on it and added covers to the pickups. I like the vibe.

full

full

full

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr. Beef

Reaction score
I really liked the "red top" Studio conversion I did awhile back, so I decided to to do another one. This time I did black on the back and neck and held off on tinting the clear coats. The top is a brilliant "fiesta red." It's just about done.

full

full

full

Mr. Beef

Reaction score
Lastly, I didn't like this Flying V and I was inspired by Horseman's stinger on the R8 gold top. I love the look with the white EMG's.

full

full

full

kakerlak

Reaction score
You should put a fiesta red stinger on that Studio conversion...

Mr. Beef

Reaction score
I feel like it changed the vibe of the guitar (for the better) and now it's a little rockabilly. Do I stick with the gold hardware or go to nickle?

kakerlak

Reaction score
I feel like it changed the vibe of the guitar (for the better) and now it's a little rockabilly. Do I stick with the gold hardware or go to nickle?

I like the gold w/ the red, personally. If you go nickel, it needs a Bigsby.

truckermde

Reaction score
Oh yeah, that red stinger's sweeeet!

Since you asked, I like the gold hardware, but black would be killer, too, although it would completely change the channel, yet again!

Great work, man :cheers2:

dubster82

Reaction score
That explorer is stunning! :wow::wow:

It'd go well with my V :naughty:

Did you do the back to match? :cool:

Mr. Beef

Reaction score
This one is turning out nicely... a member sent me a studio that had previously been refinished in poly. It looked like it had a nice top and when I removed the finish (pain in the a$$) it looked even better. This is kind of an "inspired by AFD" finish and the amber color really enhances the figuring.

I took the usual steps here and just share a couple pics now and, when completed, the final product.

Starting point
full

Stripped
full

Routed for binding
full

full

Bound (body and fretboard)
full

full

full

DotStudio

Reaction score
This one is turning out nicely... a member sent me a studio that had previously been refinished in poly. It looked like it had a nice top and when I removed the finish (pain in the a$$) it looked even better. This is kind of an "inspired by AFD" finish and the amber color really enhances the figuring.

I took the usual steps here and just share a couple pics now and, when completed, the final product.

Starting point
full

Stripped
full

Routed for binding
full

full

Bound (body and fretboard)
full

full

full

I really like that and am in the process of doing something similar with my studio. Is that a custom mixed color, or is it just amber from a vendor? I'd like to get close to that color. Thanks :wave:

Mr. Beef

Reaction score
I mixed it. I used yellow (mostly), scarlet, and red mahogany dyes.

Latest Threads