A couple of redwood builds

SirPsycho

Reaction score
Not at all. The tone with redwood is almost a little snappier and sweeter than a maple top, but at the same time very warm sounding. I just finished that solid body last night and will be plugging it in today to put it through its paces. From the little sound test through a practice amp last night, I will say its gonna sound awesome.

Really!? I never thought this because redwood is such a soft wood! But that sounds like good news.... so I'm think I will turn this into a guitar soon....... ;)

DSC_2087.jpg

thanks bye

DGNRepair

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
That's how I've approached it.

I find if I give it a few extra coats of sealer sanding back to damn near raw wood for the first 1/2 it will level out and stay reasonably level.... till I buff it :laugh2:

Doug, what do you use for finish?

DGNRepair

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Ok, here is the Double Cut I have been promising. This is a guitar I did for a good friend of mine who was just out on the road with Tanya Tucker.

Specs:

Figured Redwood Top (kind of a given with the thread title)
Old Growth Honduran Mahogany Body and Neck
Select Indian Rosewood Fingerboard, Tailpiece and Arm Rest
MOP V-Block inlay
Celluloid Ivoroid Multi Ply binding on the top and Single Ply on the neck
Gold "Evo" Fret wire (its in the middle of nickel silver and stainless for hardness)
Drop "D" Banjo Tuner (very very cool!!!!)
Graphtech Piezo System
DGN Humbucker and DGN P-90

Ok here are the pics.......

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0068.jpg

DSC_0037.jpg

DSC_0063.jpg

DSC_0075.jpg

DSC_0049.jpg

Texas07R8

Reaction score
F-ing amazing... I love that custom build, the detail around the neck joint is a work of art. I love it!

Guitarsquirrel7

Reaction score
I'm speachless... I know it's been said countless times, but goodness... That top is wonderful.

TKOjams

Reaction score
I'm using Redwood for a LP Special build. It's quite brittle so, take care when routing or there could be a huge desaster. It is beautiful stuff though.:)

tkojams-albums-lp-special-build-picture32599-body-back.jpg

Mexicanbreed

Reaction score
Amazing guitar! I love every redwood topped guitar I´ve seen. One question, I didn´t find it anywhere so...why the banjo tuner on the E string?

pinefd

V.I.P. Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Wow, gorgeous stuff, Dan! After seeing these builds of yours, I can't wait to use that piece of redwood I have stashed away!

Frank

DGNRepair

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Amazing guitar! I love every redwood topped guitar I´ve seen. One question, I didn´t find it anywhere so...why the banjo tuner on the E string?

Thanks. The banjo tuner is very cool. It locks in 2 positons with the 2 knobs you see. Tune it first to your high pitch and tighten the knob on the right. Then drop the pitch to whatever tone you want, and then tighten the knob to the left. Then you can simply tune up and down between the 2 notes very easily. Its like a super advanced (and expensive) drop D tuner. These were designed for banjo players to be able to switch keys easily.

Wow, gorgeous stuff, Dan! After seeing these builds of yours, I can't wait to use that piece of redwood I have stashed away!

Frank

Frank, many thanks for the kind words. I would love to see you get going with a redwood build. This is truely my new favorite top wood to build with. The solid body Paragon (single cutaway nickel hardware) from above sounds absolutely amazing!!! There is no other way to describe it.

So far of the semi hollow and solid guitars, I like the solid body the best. I am doing final assembly of the fully hollow guitar next week, so I will let you all know how that one sounds and of course I will post some pics. Until then, here is one more of the solid body Paragon.

DSC_00342.jpg

Ace1432

Reaction score
man the ripples in that grain look like velvet

RAHAZ

Reaction score
I really love how these Redwood builds turned out.:thumb::dude:

Have you built a solid Curly redwood guitar, just one solid billet? Any words of wisdom for working with Curly Redwood?

I have this 2" thick billet and was planning on turning it into a single guitar.
IMG_20100830_184124.jpg

shotgunlew

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I had roman use the evo gold fret wire......He took it off I dunno why now...Its breath taking on that guitar! I gotta ask how hard is finishing redwood?

DGNRepair

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
I had roman use the evo gold fret wire......He took it off I dunno why now...Its breath taking on that guitar! I gotta ask how hard is finishing redwood?

I think the Evo wire has a slightly brighter tambre to it then nickel silver wire. I find it easy to work with and it files really well. There is also just something really cool about a guitar that has gold frets to match the hardware. :thumb: As far as finishing redwood, its all in the surface prep. This stuff is soft like spruce, it dents easily and tears out easily so care must be taken to remove all surface defects. It also really soaks up the first 3-5 coats of finish. After the first day of spraying, the finish builds just fine.

DGNRepair

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
I really love how these Redwood builds turned out.:thumb::dude:

Have you built a solid Curly redwood guitar, just one solid billet? Any words of wisdom for working with Curly Redwood?

I have this 2" thick billet and was planning on turning it into a single guitar.
IMG_20100830_184124.jpg

I will leave you with one thought, Tear-out. As someone else mentioned this stuff is not the most fun to carve. Make sure your router bits are new and sharp. It also soaks up the first few coats of finish. By day 2 the finish starts to build up.

J-Dizzle

Reaction score
Those redwood guitars look great!

I love seeing these build threads with alternate woods.

Being in Australia I'm keen one day to build a guitar from local woods.

I'm thinking of a Tasmanian Blackwood body with a Queensland Maple top.

Tasmanian Blackwood:

Blackwood.jpg

Queensland Maple:

Copy-2-of-Image017.jpg

This isnt my guitar above its a pic online of someone else's Queensland maple top.

Sorry 'bout the size of the pic I couldn't seem to get it any smaller.

DGNRepair

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
I love the blackwood. That seems like it would be a nice wood combo.

captcoolaid

Reaction score
Ok, here is the Double Cut I have been promising. This is a guitar I did for a good friend of mine who was just out on the road with Tanya Tucker.

Specs:

Figured Redwood Top (kind of a given with the thread title)
Old Growth Honduran Mahogany Body and Neck
Select Indian Rosewood Fingerboard, Tailpiece and Arm Rest
MOP V-Block inlay
Celluloid Ivoroid Multi Ply binding on the top and Single Ply on the neck
Gold "Evo" Fret wire (its in the middle of nickel silver and stainless for hardness)
Drop "D" Banjo Tuner (very very cool!!!!)
Graphtech Piezo System
DGN Humbucker and DGN P-90

Ok here are the pics.......

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0068.jpg

DSC_0037.jpg

DSC_0063.jpg

DSC_0075.jpg

DSC_0049.jpg

At first look my 6yr old thought that looks like Mickey Mouse now he says daddy will you buy that for me. That is just stunning. Maybe, no definitely the best double cut I have ever seen.

DGNRepair

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
At first look my 6yr old thought that looks like Mickey Mouse now he says daddy will you buy that for me. That is just stunning. Maybe, no definitely the best double cut I have ever seen.

Thank you very much. I really dig the design alot and couldn't be happier with the final result. If you need to buy one for your kid....... :) When my first son was born I built him a parts caster. He's 3 now and by the time he can actually play it, well lets just say the Fender road worn's don't hold a candle.

I have one more pic to post, and another Redwood build.

First, "The Three Wise Reds".
3RedsCropped.jpg

And now, this is a custom 9-string guitar for a local jazz guitarist here in CT. Its a solid body that will have a single neck pickup and a totally custom Graphtech Piezo System installed in the bridge. The body, neck, and headstock are exactly 1" wider than my 6 string Paragons to accommodate the extra 3 strings. I am making the neck for this beast this weekend. 2 11/16" nut anyone?
DSC_0218.jpg

DSC_0213.jpg

DSC_0211.jpg

DSC_0209.jpg

captcoolaid

Reaction score
That one with the black hardware has my name all over it. Unfortunately I am a broke mf at the moment.

Latest Threads