A couple of redwood builds

DGNRepair

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Just started building 2 of my guitars with redwood tops and though I would share. I am using nice figured redwood and old growth honduran 1 piece bodies and 1 piece necks. Just 2 pics for now but many more to come.
Enjoy :thumb:

This one is the "Paragon Red"
IMAG0456.jpg

This one is the "Double Cut" (I know, very original name)
IMAG0454.jpg

jworle01

Reaction score
Awesome... I have wondered how redwood would sound on a LP. Is that double cut hollow at all? Upcoming f holes? Looks great, can't wait to see how these turn out.

pinefd

V.I.P. Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Wow, beautiful pieces of wood! Can't wait to see these further along in the process. I've got a chunk of redwood similar to these, but it may take me years to actually do something with it. I understand that redwood can be quite toxic to work with...I hope you're being careful with it.

Frank

dougk

Reaction score
Fantastic!! I'm quickly becoming a HUGE fan of Redwood!

DGNRepair

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
This particular Double Cut is solid. I am building it for a customer and solid is what he wanted. It is going to have a cool pickup combo, Humbucker in the neck and a P-90 in the bridge. Its also going to have a Graphtech Piezo system installed. The Paragon is going to be a standard Vol Vol Tone Tone. So far I have had no reaction to the redwood. I generally wear a mask when sanding and bandsawing wood anyway. I have 8 more tops, so at some point one of these Double Cuts will be redwood semi hollow with f-holes for sure.

SG Lou

Reaction score
:shock::shock:

That's a gorgeous piece of wood........both of them:thumb:

DGNRepair

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Hopefully I will have some more pics in a couple of days. I built myself a duplicarver about a month ago to make things go a little quicker in the top carving department. Now I need to make master carve top patterns for both models. I think redwood is one of my favorite top woods.

Dan

mono

Reaction score
Some great flame there - I'm really looking forward to seeing how these turn out after spraying! Best of luck mate

shotgunlew

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
My rist is being built with a redwood top (Les Paul body)

Texas07R8

Reaction score
love it love it love it!

I just ordered a slab of redwood myself. Not the big fat tubular stuff that seems to be pretty common, this board is a super deep 3D waterfall pattern. And right after I scored that one I also found a one piece maple burl cap that I've been wanting to score but not pay big bucks for it. It just amazes me how much some people want to charge for certain pieces of wood.

Sea Ranch

Reaction score
This one is the "Double Cut" (I know, very original name)
IMAG0454.jpg

This body shape is outstanding and original . . . outstandingly original. Like a mini 335 but with shorter horns, and "older" looking [at a loss for words] . . . I can't wait to see it with neck and hardware on, to get a better perspective. I haven't been this excited about a new body shape since the Fernandes Ravelle (oops, perhaps I'm revealing too much :fingersx:)

Super wood, too . . . goes without saying!

WOW :applause:

DGNRepair

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
This threads not dead yet!! Had a super busy summer with repair work. Didn't have much time to build at all. I thought it would have been the other way around.

Anyway, here are some pics for you all. I am doing 3 redwood builds now, with another 2 coming up in the mix. The straight grained top is going to texas, the more v-shaped flame guitar is to another town in CT, and the Double Cut is going to a good friend of mine and a great guitarist right here in Fairfield.

Also note, that is the first headstock inlayed with my brand new logo by Tulsa!! :applause:

100_5474.JPG

100_5504.JPG

100_5505.JPG

100_5508.JPG

100_5516.JPG

100_5520.JPG

100_5523.JPG

Mike's_LP

Reaction score
Wow, those are some stunning tops!!

What are the sound properties of redwood? Is it toxic? (I'm wondering why you wear a mask when you cut it.)

DGNRepair

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Wow, those are some stunning tops!!

What are the sound properties of redwood? Is it toxic? (I'm wondering why you wear a mask when you cut it.)

Thanks. Redwood is alot like spruce or cedar. Some people can have reactions to some woods. This species of redwood is slighly toxic. Because of this, it almost never rots. Its a great wood to use for outdoor stuff, but not this piece. Its not going to do alot of harm, but prolonged exposure to the dust will screw up your lungs a bit and it takes a while for it to clear out. Utile, an african hardwood similar to mahogany, is one wood that I am highly allergic to. I sanded a blank without a mask 1 time and couldn't sing for 3 months. Nasty nasty stuff. Madagasscar Rosewood is another one I am slightly allergic to.

Mike's_LP

Reaction score
Thanks. So, if it's like spruce, like most acoustic tops, I'd imagine it's rather bright & clear. Interesting.

I've got allergies, too. Pet dander & a few other things. I see your point about different woods.

Sea Ranch

Reaction score
Thanks for the new pix. Love the detail shot on the double cut and the binding work is cool. I am in love with this body shape (your single cut shape looks very nice to my eye, too). :D

Beautiful work . . . looking forward to more here :applause: :applause:

ievans

Reaction score
I use a mask whenever I'm making any sort of dust. I figure, why not? You only get one set of lungs.

Latest Threads