A case for the deluxe?

sidepartings26

Reaction score
Didn't realise there was a Fender sub-forum. I posted this in 'other guitars':

I have been a good boy and searched the forum for this but although I found Fender Standard vs Deluxe I didn't really find enough info.

I tried about 6 strats yesterday, all standards, one was way way the nicest.
I tried 1 standard and 1 deluxe in another store today. All were tried through a 65 deluxe both days.

The deluxe was 'fuller' than the standard in today's store which also seemed to weigh less and just give an overall impression of being less 'substantial'. The fretboard inlay on the deluxe was nice, and I really like the 'aged' pickguard, tobacco burst (the standard strat day before was white which is ok) etc. With the 'tone' button pushed in it also sounded 'deeper'.

But I can't remeber 'tone' and can't compare on memory I just remember that 1 standard strat felt good.

What's bothering me about the deluxe is although in some ways it sounds better in terms of what it can do. to me I find the S1 system a bit 'gimmicky' and I'm having trouble getting past that. Not one sales rep could explain what it does technically to me other than 'I have one and it sounds good usual'.

But the locking tuners are probably better, and the bridge looks different. There is not much difference in price.

So my question is would anyone make a case for the deluxe?

sidepartings26

Reaction score
Just read the first 5 or 6 pages of harmony central reviews of the deluxe. Suprisingly high number of people accusing the noisless pickups of making the otherwise beautiful guitar sound dull in comparison to the standard...

Maybe the ash deluxe would be a compromise with the features of the deluxe but more a slightly more aggressive sound bringing it back to the standard sound?

Duffy

Reaction score
Yeah. You can make a case for the deluxe.

In the hierarchy of Fender guitars, in the American series you have the Standard, then the Deluxe, then the Vintage models. Each level is more expensive and has better, supposedly pickups, etc., and carries with it more prestige.

The noiseless pickup thing is like the search for the holy grail. Different companies have their approaches. Fender has evolved to the samarium cobalts, which I like. So in their more prestegious model strat and tele they have the samarium cobalts.

Some say that the noiseless pickups will never compare with straight up single coils of excellent quality. This may be true. None of the traditional strats were noiseless, except in the notch positions. The ones with the Vintage Noiseless pickup that Clapton played were probably specially made, unlike floor room models, etc., plus his skill can make the guitar sound how he wants it to sound regardless of the pickups.

You seem to lean toward the deluxe in your quest for knowledge of how it works, etc. You might just want to get a deluxe burst like you have suggested. If you did I think you would be verry happy.

But I learned a long time ago to buy the guitar that speaks to me. The one that plays and sounds best and to ignore the color or the brand name even sometimes. But if I'm going for a specific brand name I try to get the one that sounds and feels and plays the best and I know I will be able to manauver around on it with ease, drifting over the fretboard and playing difficult chords with ease - that's the guitar I look for, the one that is the best for me. Not the best color or best model or whatever. As you found, you can play six guitars, exactly alike, and they will all feel and play differently. Your preferred color might not play the best. What do you want? A guitar that looks good to you or a guitar that plays really well and fits into your hand like it was built just for you? Sometimes it all comes together, but not that often and it's real real easy to buy that one that looks best but doesn't play or sound the best, just because you are fixated on a certain color or model.

A standard strat is going to be excellent in the regular American line, way better than the American Specials. You learn to deal with the noise if it bothers you, but you get crystaline clean tones that you can then manipulate thru a variety of tones using the controls on the guitar and amp. It won't be like a deluxe, but the deluxe is still a great guitar with a great range of tones in my opinion.

Bottom line is you have to get what you want or you won't be totally happy with it and it will affect your entire interaction with the guitar; so make sure you get the one you really want. This will make all the difference. Don't settle for less than you want, everyone else's opinions aside, it's between you, your hands, eyes, ears, brain, soul, etc. Does the guitar resonate to the rythym of your soul? Does it warm you heart? This is where it comes down to where the rubber meets the road. Give it some time an you will know, really know, which one is for you. But remember, "he who hesitates is lost" sometimes. These great guitars don't sit there for long.

Standard or Deluxe, both are great; it's just a choice matter as to which you will be happy with and which has a place in your soul.

One last thing. Sometimes a guitar picks you; you don't pick the guitar. The guitar just keeps looking at you, beckoning you, saying, "look at me", when you aren't even seeing it but it keeps jumping into the corner of your eye until you realize that the guitar looks really good; there's something special about it and it draws you in, draws you over there and you pick it up and you know, really know that this is the one for you. I've had guitars pick me out a few times and they are real good guitars.

5er driver

Reaction score
But I learned a long time ago to buy the guitar that speaks to me. The one that plays and sounds best and to ignore the color or the brand name even sometimes.......

Bottom line is you have to get what you want or you won't be totally happy with it and it will affect your entire interaction with the guitar; so make sure you get the one you really want. This will make all the difference. Don't settle for less than you want, everyone else's opinions aside, it's between you, your hands, eyes, ears, brain, soul, etc.
+1. Well said, Duffy.

babalooga

Reaction score
I have an Am. deluxe Tele that I've benn playing for alittle over a year. I like the S-1 swith it does add a little depth in the middle position. I just picked up an Am deluxe HSS Strat last night and I really like it. The Am Deluxe series have more detailed fret and nut work, strap locks,S-1 switch, locking tuners. The HSS models also have an LSR roller nut and a shaved heel at the neck joint. I've only got to play my Strat this morning in church,( I did'nt even get the plastic protective film off the pickguard yet), but I loved the way it sounds an plays. Some guys like the S-1, some guys think they are a gimmick, I find it very usefull. Best thing to do is try them for yourself, if you don't like it walk away from it. I guess I'll have to figure out how to post pics on this site. Best of luck finding the right one for you.

sidepartings26

Reaction score
Awsome post Duffy thanks. Ironically am working Wayne's World right now and the strat in that is white just like the standard that felt 'right'!

A question about the deluxes':

Do you think the ash body described by Fender would make for more 'life' in the deluxe and allow for more clarity in the bass:

# Alder: full and rich, with fat low-end, nice cutting mids, and good overall warmth and sustain. Alder is generally considered to be one of the "traditional" Stratocaster body woods.
# Ash: exhibits a "snappier" tone with a bright edge, but with a warm bass and long sustain. It is often considered as the other "traditional" Stratocaster body wood.

I have also read about installing a 500k volume pot to open it up a bit.

I am tempted to find a nice deluxe and get it for it's features, then I can always swap the noiseless pickups for the standard ones. I will not hang aroung too long, especially if I can't find one that jumps out at me.

sidepartings26

Reaction score
I tried more stratocasters today! I have exhausted all local shops. The ash deluxe I tried today had a lot more bite than the alder deluxes I've tried (including one today) and sounded good, except for the bridge pickup which was wayyyyy to trebley, it hurt my teeth!

I tried the white standard strat that jumped out at me before, it was lovely. The only problem is my 1987x is such an aggressive amp I do think the pickups' buzz will be a problem, I turned the 65 deluxe amp up in the shop without playing anything and the buzz was huge, don't know how strat users deal with it?

Anyway, the shops best price (won't budge) is £125 ($187) off the web price, and that kind of money will buy a lot of stuff!

I was thinking of getting the standard then I can always change the pickups to noiseless and avoid the s1 system (really don't like it). That got me thinking, why do that when I can buy a guitar for that amount more that already has those pickups plus better bridge, tuners, etc...

Any thoughts?

captcoolaid

Reaction score
What is the s1 system is that with the push button lower tone knob.

MUSTANGCAT

Reaction score
What is the s1 system is that with the push button lower tone knob.

The button is actually on the volume knob. You wind up getting five extra settings including being able to run all three pickups at the same time.

Latest Threads