A 3 by 3 (9-position) switch?

sumitagarwal

Reaction score
I'm adding coil tapping to my LP but ideally want to keep few controls, and I realized that all that's necessary is 2 3-way switches, one for each pickup (a pickup gets full, tapped, and off positions).

I was wondering if its possible to put this on a single control: a 2-axis switch, with a total of 9 positions.

Does anyone know of a control like this? I'd also be happy with an 8-position switch that loses a position that has both pickups off.

efstop

Small amps ^^ are fun
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, you might be able to repurpose an old computer mouse with a ball. It uses 2-axis rollers. Then you'll need a pointer on the body and marks on the ball for each position. The rollers could be connected to two blend knobs under a cover and all the wires from the pickups would be wired to those pots.

Personally, I'd prefer two mini toggles spaced close together.

BadPenguin

Reaction score
Personally, I think you are making it unnecessarily complicated with the "off" position. Use a simple push/pull for coil tap, and volume control for off.

ARandall

Reaction score
Is this an actual Les Paul....because you already have an 'off selector' for your pickups if this is the case with the toggle.

sumitagarwal

Reaction score
Is this an actual Les Paul....because you already have an 'off selector' for your pickups if this is the case with the toggle.
Says "Les Paul Model" on the peghead ;)

This switch would be something to replace the existing toggle, not in addition to it

ARandall

Reaction score
So will you have something else in the toggle hole?
I ask because from the reports of most people who have tried unusual switching, typically the award for 'most complicated and annoying switching' were ones with individual toggles for each pickup.

sumitagarwal

Reaction score
My thinking is that this 2-axis switch would go exactly where the pickup toggle is right now

sumitagarwal

Reaction score
Yup, that does get most of the way there. It would work well if I'm ok with the middle position only offering double-full or double-tapped options, but would lose the middle position options for one pickup tapped other pickup full. Still, pretty elegant and lots of tonez.

ARandall

Reaction score
My thinking is that this 2-axis switch would go exactly where the pickup toggle is right now
A pole or mini switch will only control 1 pickup. So you will have to go for a freeway as suggested if you want individual pickup selection as well as coil selection available on the 1 switch.
Read the reviews of the one you want to buy carefully - some of these type of selectors have less than stellar longevity.

Latest Threads