a 1958 attic find???

treatb

Reaction score
anyone have anymore information. just saw it on youtube randomly.
unnamed.jpg
just this, only picture of it. the red is incredible on it. still finding these in attics today seems a bit of a stretch, but if its real. its one beautiful burst. the gloss is a bit suspicious. looks like it was just polished. maybe someone is trying to pass off one of the heritage vintage les pauls? the rosewood kinda looks indian to me. but the picture isn't too revealing

asapmaz

Reaction score
That’s a real burst, but that pic is from about ten years ago.

abracadaben

Reaction score
Yea I’ve seen that pic posted here by the owner if I recall.... it’s a real 50s i believe. I think it’s a refinish too? Someone around the forum will know

sws1

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
8 6732 - Was discovered back in 2012. Don't remember if it was confirmed if it was refinished or not.
(Found another thread where it was mentioned that it sold for a big price. So must have been original finish.)

Last edited:

kakerlak

Reaction score
I remember that one, too. Honestly, it makes it seem like the reissues are nailing it a little better than it sometimes feels. Like mix that one in with 4-5 recent R8s in the same finish and it might be pretty tough to pick out the "real" one from 5-10 feet away. Might be easier in person, but I bet it'd be pretty tough from a photo on the internet, unless something like logo alignment makes this one jump out where the others are all exact matches for each other.

Way cool, but it crosses a threshold for me, daydreams-wise where I think I'd be scared to touch it b/c of the condition. Even being meticulous with wiping it down, etc, that hardware will dull up in a hurry, that red will probably fade out, etc. I think if I stumbled across it (and didn't just flat out want the money), I'd be inclined to sell it and go looking for another burst with enough even light playwear, fading, and tarnishing that I didn't feel paranoid playing it on the couch.

IIRC, the original owner/poster got called out for this being a scam/reissue at first. What an inviting place this can be sometimes, eh?

Phil W

Reaction score
I'd be concerned about the potential neck damage caused by having no strings on it. That truss rod will be really enjoying its freedom!

Latest Threads