_MIJ__FAQ_+_Links

luis

Reaction score
Tokai used Hummningbird in 60s for acoustic and electric guitars.

Pazzesca

Reaction score
I just read the FAQs here and the clues to whether a copy was MIJ or not. I have a couple questions and I thank you in advance.

Here is the LP copy I picked up at a garage sale last weekend for $20. I love it and don't care what it turns out to be, since it just LOOKS so cool, but I'm curious. Most people on here, and on other forums, are saying I probably have a Matsumoku of some sort. But... the FAQ clues confuse me then.

Les Paul Forums - Pazzesca's Album: My LES PAUL COPY <3

My questions are: The FAQs say pretty clearly that if the pots are dime or penny size, then it's not MIJ. Is this universally true? Mine are definitely not quarter size. Also, did Chinese and Korean manufacturers put bolt on neck plates that still say Made in Japan on them?

Any help appreciated to identify and date my pretty little LP copy!

:jam:

GammyBird

Reaction score
The guitar you have is MIJ and the plant that it was made in was the Matsumoku plant. They did use bolt on necks with Made in Japan stamped on the plate. They also come with all sorts of pots in them. Orville and others, for example, used smaller mini pots which are the size of a dime.

At the time of manufacture, it is highly unlikely that it would be produced in China or Korea with a MIJ neck plate.

slapshot

Reaction score
funny they blanked out all the logos :thumb:
dibs on the 2343
1.jpg

2.jpg

UITA

Reaction score
I had a 2388 didn't like it, wish I still had it!! Pretty sure it wasn't a detachable neck though.

reborn old

Reaction score
Thought I would add pics of a Korean made late 80's Cort Greco here for reference purposes:

The solid figured top, figured 1984-ish Mint Collection looking back + MIJ hardware threw me on the Mint Collection Greco pictured below,
but luckily about 10 things pointed to a MIK Cort Greco, :)
... the more important ones being the scarfed headstock without ears or serial number, technicolor Greco inlay* and bathtub shaped pickup cavity route.
*(MIK Cort Greco inlay not to be confused with MIJ Dyna Burny inlay, shown at the top of page 3)

Things that could be easily changed included hardware, thick one ply pick guard, bell shaped TRC for a "squared bell" shaped MC TRC, pickups with 6 extra holes in back plates
(not MIJ), white rear cavity covers, rectangular profiled plastic (vs bone) nut.

88919d1367451066-am-i-seeing-things-1.jpg

88920d1367451097-am-i-seeing-things-3.jpg

88921d1367451110-am-i-seeing-things-4.jpg

88922d1367451129-am-i-seeing-things-8.jpg

Udonitron

Psychedelic Stoner Rock
Reaction score

Things that could be easily changed included hardware, thick one ply pick guard, bell shaped TRC for a "squared bell" shaped MC TRC, pickups with 6 extra holes in back plates
(not MIJ), white rear cavity covers, rectangular profiled plastic (vs bone) nut.

Another tell tale sign is the open or disconnected 'e', that is one of the 1st things I usually look for.

Hazardous Guitar

Reaction score
I've not seen an identical guitar to this one. Of the limited number of other Ventura Les Pauls
mAWLzx
I've found so far are bolt on necks.

mAWLfz

mAWiTt

mAWKMR

mAXWnC

mAWi6B

mAWJAn

reborn old

Reaction score
Although the headstock shape differs from other early to mid 70's examples,
there is a pretty good chance it was produced by Matsumoku around that time.
If can post a pic of the control cavity with the white cover removed,
I can probably confirm who the manufacturer was.

Hazardous Guitar

Reaction score
Although the headstock shape differs from other early to mid 70's examples,
there is a pretty good chance it was produced by Matsumoku around that time.
If can post a pic of the control cavity with the white cover removed,
I can probably confirm who the manufacturer was.

Hopefully you can make something of this.

reborn old

Reaction score
Looks like it.

Hopefully you can make something of this.

I'm pretty sure yours is Matsumoku made, based on control cavity pics.

Your Ventura differs in construction from later Matsumoku examples thanks to the wide channel and route location for your wire harness. Yours possibly has hollow chambers like some early-mid 70's Grecos and later base models have, as well as build similarities with some Columbus badged Matsumoku models.

Latest Threads