9's on a Les Paul Custom

paco1976

Reaction score
I have used 9s and had same trouble with the set up, it did not stay ok for very long. Was told by a tech that the LP worked better on 10s onwards. I moved to 10s and it works fine.Of you got an issue with the tension use pure nickel strings, a set of 10s of pure nickel should equal the tension of your 9s.
And play a lot, you should be ok with 10s within a short time.

Guitar_nut

Reaction score
I've got 9's on both of my Customs. I have experimented with both 9's and 10's, but I keep finding myself going back to 9's. When I first started out many years ago, I had 8's and used a paper thin pick. Now it is 9's and a Med "Cool" non slip pick.

crazytrain513

Reaction score
I remember when I first got my Les Paul. I bought it used and it had 9's. They felt really nice because that's what I was used to but for some reason the 9's didn't sound right. I feel like they lost a lot of the chug and balls of the Les Paul tone. One can make the argument that Jimmy Page used 8's but he's a rare case...

When I put 10's on, I felt like I was playing on steamrollers, weird as it sounds and my fingers would ache and turn blue and have those indents in them. But if you play enough and keep with it you'll find the guitar not only plays better (the strings feel less susceptible to breakage) but you'll also start playing and sounding better with that little extra bit of substance the 10's actually give.

Two years later and I'm playing 11's.

And if you need motivation, Randy Rhoads played 11 gauge strings on his Les Paul Custom. Phil Collen of Def Leppard plays Jackson Superstrat-style guitars with a longer scale length than you and he plays 13's. With a metal pick. And if you've listened to enough Def Leppard you know how his style of playing can easily be made difficult with thicker strings.

ehamady6

Reaction score
I use 10-60. They don't flap around when tuning down a step or more.

ZW1060_Cust_Heavy_Lg.jpg

Nihon Jim

Reaction score
I find them too light for a les paul because of the slightly shorter scale....I play 10-52 hybrid slinkys on my Les pauls and they bend like butter.

+1

And I top wrap. Easy to play (and bend).

And I love the sound of the heavy bottom end through my JMP. :rock:

tazzboy

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
No harm in trying .009 in fact that's what have on my LP's. The Worse is you hate how they sound and feel or best being is that you like it.

GERRYGTR62

Reaction score
When I first got my CC, it was strung with .10s, then I switched over to .009s, AHHHHHHH, so much better!

Bigfoot410

I'll have a sammich!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This thread has much disappoint. All very helpful replies and only ONE "punch in the mouth" reply.
You guys are getting old and slipping.

John Vasco

I'm with the band
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Never mind all this 9s, 10s, shit.

Get yerself some REAL men's strings.

Ya can bend from one end of the feckin' country to the other with these...

no7GwqM.jpg

:naughty: :applause: :laugh2: :D :dude:

But Janice from 'Doctor Teeth's Electric Mayhem' says 9s are just fine on LP Customs!
Ovj1v2o.jpg

:dude: :dude: :dude: :dude: :dude:

rabidhamster

Reaction score
Go ahead and try it. When I started I tried 9s on my les paul and loved them. Now I prefer 10s on my LP scale guitars.
If you have trouble with squeezing chords sharp, just stop it! learn to take it easy and not squeeze so hard; It will be a good learning experience no matter what gauge you wind up with.

Every string brand has different tension for a given gauge and metal, so you can't just take generic tension measurements cited in a thread and apply it to your situation directly.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never mind all this 9s, 10s, shit.

Get yerself some REAL men's strings.

Ya can bend bend from one end of the feckin' country to the other with these...

no7GwqM.jpg

:naughty: :applause: :laugh2: :D :dude:

But Janice from 'Doctor Teeth's Electric Mayhem' says 9s are just fine on LP Customs!
Ovj1v2o.jpg

:dude: :dude: :dude: :dude: :dude:

Buwahaha I just spit coffee...

:D

colchar

Banned
Reaction score
wrong.

assuming standard tuning:

lp with 9's - 82.1 pounds
strat with 9's - 85.2 pounds

lp with 10's - 99.8 pounds
strat with 10's - 103.6 pounds

I'd like to see proof of that. I've seen far too many comments and articles supporting my position to believe yours without some proof.

colchar

Banned
Reaction score
Assuming this is accurate (thanks) There's a 14 pound difference between a Strat with 9's and a LP with 10's - this is the difference I feel when I play the LP (but again only on the top strings where I'm bending). I have tried out an LP Custom with 10's at the store. I think what I will do is go with the 9's and see how it feels, and if it's weird I'll just get 10's and go with that...Thanks for all the replies!

Don't assume it is accurate without proof.

But in the end, go with what feels best.

colchar

Banned
Reaction score
I remember when I first got my Les Paul. I bought it used and it had 9's. They felt really nice because that's what I was used to but for some reason the 9's didn't sound right. I feel like they lost a lot of the chug and balls of the Les Paul tone. One can make the argument that Jimmy Page used 8's but he's a rare case...

Page isn't as rare a case as you think, the list of famous players who use light strings is surprising. Hell, Billy Gibbons uses .07s!

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Played D'ad 9's for years and years... Bought a new Lester with 10's and never went back to 9's on my Lesters... 9's on the longer scale guitars...

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You damned hoser...

:D

Latest Threads