9's on a Les Paul Custom

ido1957

Reaction score
What's your experience with using 9-42 on a LP Custom (a new one if that matters). They come stock with 10-46. I've been using 9's on my other guitars (Strat/Kramer) forever and I find the 10's are a pain to bend especially on the B string as compared. The lower 3 strings are not an issue but the top 3 are stiffer.
I'm wondering if the lighter gauge will give me intonation grief if I press down too hard on the string. I've had that on my friend's SG and it was really annoying and unuseable. I would get it set up at the shop for intonation and height. I would not want to file the frets down...

splatter

Reaction score
try t and see .

i use 9's always have . There isn't that big of a difference in 9's and 10's . at least not enough that it should make a big difference in the pressure you put on fretting the strings.
If it does you can always compensate for it in how you intonate your guitar i.e. press hard when setting the intonaion .
Don't file the frets down ,i can't imagine how that would solve anything

sidious911

Reaction score
I find them too light for a les paul because of the slightly shorter scale. How long have you been playing, your hands will build the strength pretty quickly for 10s. I play 10-52 hybrid slinkys on my Les pauls and they bend like butter.

Farquad

Reaction score
Ive got some with 9's and some with 10's. I prefer the 10's on a LP because the shorter scale length makes them feel solid but bendable like 9's on a strat.
But to answer your question, yes you can put 9's on a LP.

ido1957

Reaction score
I've been playing for a long time but never used 10's. It's mainly that B string bending up a tone that gives me problems.

SgtStryker0331

Reaction score
If you search the forums, you'll find this topic has many opinions. But like most guitar related topics we agonize over, ten minutes of your own exploration is worth a hundred hours of forum reading. (Not every topic, but a lot of them.)

I have a Les Paul with 11s because the guitar keeps tune better with 11s. It's probably a nut thing, but for now it's fine. The difference isn't a big deal. I feel more substance to the strings, but I don't feel the strings are harder to work with. Anyone who attaches moving tiny wires around on a guitar with manhood is just ridiculous, no matter what gauge.

I don't mean that as an insult because you said you dislike 10s. I'm saying you may find that 10s (or even 11s) on a Les Paul feel great. Try it for yourself. It's the only way to know.

colchar

Banned
Reaction score
What's your experience with using 9-42 on a LP Custom (a new one if that matters). They come stock with 10-46. I've been using 9's on my other guitars (Strat/Kramer) forever and I find the 10's are a pain to bend especially on the B string as compared. The lower 3 strings are not an issue but the top 3 are stiffer.
I'm wondering if the lighter gauge will give me intonation grief if I press down too hard on the string. I've had that on my friend's SG and it was really annoying and unuseable. I would get it set up at the shop for intonation and height. I would not want to file the frets down...

Due to scale length the tension that you have with .09s on a Strat should be about the same as the tension you will have with .10s on a Les Paul.

RichBrew

Reaction score
Put 9s on and be damned. I've been doing it since the 1970s.

RichBrew

questionman

Reaction score
I rotate between 8's and 9's on my Custom. Love it with thin strings. 10s on my Standard though.

SgtStryker0331

Reaction score
Due to scale length the tension that you have with .09s on a Strat should be about the same as the tension you will have with .10s on a Les Paul.

Despite everything I said, these are the kinds of gems we do learn on the forum.

It does annoy me when someone asks a good question and gets "USE YOUR EARS!" That can be useless sometimes.

bobarino

Reaction score

wrong.

assuming standard tuning:

lp with 9's - 82.1 pounds
strat with 9's - 85.2 pounds

lp with 10's - 99.8 pounds
strat with 10's - 103.6 pounds

SgtStryker0331

Reaction score
wrong.

Really? Interesting. I don't want to come across as argumentative, but a difference of over 20% tension going from 0.009 to 0.010 inches? Maybe I have dumb club hands but I don't feel a big difference in tension at all unless we are talking 8s to 11s or something drastic.

DADGAD

Reaction score
Ernie Ball Hybrids. The low wound strings from 10's for good chugging stuff and the unwound strings from 9's for good bending. Best of both worlds. When I switched it was great. 9's gave me intonation problems on the D but Hybrids, no problem.

ido1957

Reaction score
wrong.

Assuming this is accurate (thanks) There's a 14 pound difference between a Strat with 9's and a LP with 10's - this is the difference I feel when I play the LP (but again only on the top strings where I'm bending). I have tried out an LP Custom with 10's at the store. I think what I will do is go with the 9's and see how it feels, and if it's weird I'll just get 10's and go with that...Thanks for all the replies!

X–Ray

Cowbell by Misadventure
Reaction score
I use 9 - 42 on all my electrics including my Custom

Easy enough an experiment - just reintonate the bridge with the lighter gauge

Adjust your technique as required

Most of all - have fun :)

NHTom

Reaction score
I use GHS Boomer CL (CustomLight) on all my guitars and love them.

9-46 set. Have them on all my LP's and enjoy them.

NHTom

dspelman

Reaction score
There's absolutely no issue with putting 9's on an LP.

Come to think of it, I've got 10's on my hard-tail LPs and 9's on my Floyd-equipped LPs. No biggie.

Latest Threads