'99 Epi Customs or '11 Gib Studio 60's Tribute

Xist3nz

Reaction score
* I started the same thread in the Epi LP forum and if this violates the rules
in MLP, do please let me know or to delete one of them. I just wanted to
have wider views about the topic. Thanks.

I have a '99 Epi Customs in Alpine White (aged) and a 2000 Gibson LP Std. Recently am drawn to a brand new 2011 Gibson GT Studio 60's Tribute in the guitar shop I frequent. The shop's willing to trade it for my Epi; the Studio would set me back est $500 (USD 350 plus/minus) after the trade and that set me thinking. I did my research online, youtube, MLP and had spent time playing with the Studio. I really love the whole GT look and the P90's are really sweet and different from my current lineup.

Would love to hear from you guys, really value your opinions as I have really learned a lot since joining MLP. I don't want this to be an Epi vs Gibson so let's just look at both guitars as, well, guitars.

Thanks!

rjshare

Reaction score
only you can tell us which you prefer in terms of playing them.

financially, a gibson will probably hold its value better. if your sole motivation is investment however, you will never get rich like this!

appearance wise, you will always get more approval - be it right or wrong - from peers playing one that has corners on the headstock.

i have a 50s trib in cherryburst and i like it. thats as close as i can come to giving you advice!

Reaction score
I have a 60s Tribute GT and love it. The P-90s are a pleasant addition. I think it would be a great trade of guitars for you.

I'm not sure about the money though. Is that a good price for your area? Here in the USA, that Tribute is not a very expensive guitar at all. If the numbers seem good to you, go for it. Have you priced other 60s Tributes?

LickHunter

Reaction score
TRADE TRADE TRADE!

As said the Gibson will hold its value and studios really do play well :thumb:

Xist3nz

Reaction score
RJ - Know what you mean... at the end of the day, it's really up to me to take the plunge. I mean, I WILL be the one playing it after all...Interestingly, the shop just told me they will have a used GT 50's Tribute coming in next week... not too sure about the pickups though. What attracted me was the P90's since my Std is on humbuckers.

Well, brand new 2012 Studio costs around $1150 - $1200 from where I am, around USD $850 - $950

Thanks for the responses guys!

Also I was told the 2011 60's Tribute I am looking at has a Rosewood fretboard and not baked Maple.

Sportrider24

Reaction score
I would go for the studio 60's with P90's over the Epi. You might try selling the Epi yourself first though. I'd imagine it would benefit you financially rather than trading it to the dealer.

rjshare

Reaction score
dont worry about the fb - i have both, and as with almost everyone on here that has one, find it no different - and certainly not inferior - to rosewood.

you need to try the necks out to see which you prefer - i have one 60s necked gibson and will not buy another as it just isnt comfortable for me.

as for the pups - only you know what you like - plenty of people love p90s but they arent for everyone. i've not heard many people say they werent happy with their trib though whichever model it was.

Xist3nz

Reaction score
Appreciated! I'll be going down to the shop soon.

maaadtrip

Reaction score
So the shop wants your Epi + $500 for the Trib? That seems pretty good considering it's a trade in. I'd put the Epi at $400 trade value + the $500 and you get a $900 brand new Gibby. Not a smoking deal, but not bad. I would be looking at that incoming used 50's trib and try to shave a few hundred off.

Either way, great guitars (P-90s seriously rock). Different from you're Epi Custom though, so make sure to give it a good jam through an amp similar to your own so that you know what you're in for.

HOT-BRIT

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
each example will be different try a lot till you find the one that fits you perfectly

Latest Threads