'99 Classic degraded value - mini switches, sanded neck, pickup swap

joe_cpwe

Reaction score
1999 Classic. The pickups are swapped for some custom winds, some of the neck finish is sanded through, and two mini switches are in the top of an Classic. Assume otherwise good condition + a Gibson case.

US value? I don't mind player guitars, but also think used guitars will be dropping in price this year and next opening up good deals on guitars that haven't been...mauled. Maybe I'm wrong about that?

Pickup issue is easily remedied. How much does a does the sanded/de-glossed neck devalue a guitar?
Also, the mini switches? The redeemable part of the switches is that it's a black finish and not a nice top /burst finish.

Attachments

• 00n0n_aQ1QqcNTjlQz_0CI0t2_neck.jpg
    00n0n_aQ1QqcNTjlQz_0CI0t2_neck.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 204
  • 00S0S_FjSfqpGsY7z_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg
    00S0S_FjSfqpGsY7z_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:

redcoats1976

Reaction score
what do the switches control? its gonna lose some value but if they function and do something desireable the neck would bother me more.

joe_cpwe

Reaction score
what do the switches control? its gonna lose some value but if they function and do something desireable the neck would bother me more.
Switches are place holders now. Wiring is back to standard, 50's.

I agree, the neck is a little troubling...

joe_cpwe

Reaction score
Value should only be dependent on you ?
Eh ...somewhat. There is a market and value to these things. We'd all love to underpay for a guitar but overpaying isn't something most ppl want to do.
I think the neck is something to experience in person, but I'd like to hear other ppls opinions on modifications that that aren't very normal, like tuner replacement would be, for example.

Azmedian

Reaction score
Id offer $750 & definitly need answers on toggels on exactly how it was Fudged

Of course they will turn it down, just like the foose car craze era, everyone thiks there Mods increase value LOL

:doh:

Last edited:

joe_cpwe

Reaction score
It originally had uncovered black coils (496R/500T pickups). What is there now?
An unfamiliar winder, Arnsparger. Looks like they'd be low output A5. If they sound good, that's good news. Hot ceramic isn't my thing. I have A2 pickups to put in there if needed.

joe_cpwe

Reaction score
That neck finish issue is an easy repair - mask, spray, wet-sand, buff & polish.
So...you're the one that's going to encourage me?!

Last year I found a cheap LP Studio and resprayed the top. Turned out better than I thought I could do.

Not sure how I could make the neck worse by spraying it

jaqueh

Reaction score
$900, and $750? Wow, tough crowd.
That's like repaired headstock territory.
I wouldn’t even pay $900 for this tbh. I’d rather pay more and get something significantly better

OldBenKenobi

Reaction score
To me, I see I a great convenience: Practical, value-killing modifications performed by somebody looking to sell.

joe_cpwe

Reaction score
I wouldn’t even pay $900 for this tbh. I’d rather pay more and get something significantly better

To me, I see I a great convenience: Practical, value-killing modifications performed by somebody looking to sell.

Both are true, and opposite.

For a used Epiphone price more, I could get something nice w/out any "ya but" issues.

However, buying this gets me into a black LP on the cheap, which I always like but prefer other burst finishes, and also is player grade w/ player mods ready for a little gig abuse.

I'm leaning towards leaving this one alone.

waxout

Reaction score
It sounds like you do a bit of tinkering... Sure, make a lowball offer (what can go wrong) and if you do it get it on the cheap, you have a solid LP then you can do ANYTHING to it and not feel bad about it. You can even hand it to your brother-in-law when he wants to jam with you over the Holidays!

joe_cpwe

Reaction score
It sounds like you do a bit of tinkering... Sure, make a lowball offer (what can go wrong) and if you do it get it on the cheap, you have a solid LP then you can do ANYTHING to it and not feel bad about it. You can even hand it to your brother-in-law when he wants to jam with you over the Holidays!
I have a '07 Studio that fills this role now, got it cheap last year cleaned it up and resprayed the top. Although it's more $$ this Classic would do that same job but look better IMO.

Turns out my travel plans have changed I won't be near this black LP until the end of next week, not this week, it's not local.

Latest Threads