97 LP DC wraparound bridge replacement

GIBSONPLUCKER

Reaction score
First time on this site, looking for some sound advice on replacing my wraparound bar brdige on my 97 LP DC Studio. Love the guitar but the original bridge sucks, I'm looking to replace it with a wraparound adjustable pre notched saddle bridge. I wonder if someone would know if my required specs are correct so far? 3-1/4" SAE post spacing, 2-1/32" or 2-1/16" string spacing, at a preferred 12" radius. So far I have checked out the "Gotoh" (but I think that has a 13.78 radius),,,,I have also checked out the "Schaller Signum" (all dim's seem to match guitar ?)...Do you know of any other quality bridge replacements with slotted adjustable saddles. I know I can't be the only one to want to do this, has anybody heard the best choices for this bridge fix for an otherwise great guitar! All wisdom and knowledge will be much appreciated.

WannaLesPaul

Reaction score
Welcome!

"looking for some sound advice..."

If you like the "sound" of your guitar, don't change to another bridge lol

Nothing wrong with those wraptails. Just be patient, make tiny adjustments with the set screws and they will intonate. Using good quality strings is important as well, to ensure a uniform diameter along the length of the string. Personally, and many may disagree, but I seem to develop intonation problems quite quickly with D'Addario strings, but YMMV.

gitmohair

Reaction score
TonePros one works well if you can still get them. This is on a 2014 MMLP:

MM_Bridge.jpg

dsloan70

Reaction score
I installed the Tonepros AVT2P (-N for nickel, -C for Chrome) on my LP Jr Special and LP DC Tribute and have been very happy with them since. No longer have any intonation issues, and I use D'Addario strings (NYXL .10s) but don't have the problems with the strings that some report.

CerebralGasket

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If not mistaken, a 1997 LP DC Studio has a 50's style wraparound where the bridge is NOT parallel to the bridge pup. If this is the case, I highly recommend a MojoAxe CWT.

The bridges in above posts are replacements for 60's style lightning bar wraparounds for guitars where the bridge is parallel to the bridge pup.

You have to look at the bridge posts on your guitar to see if they are even with each other or offset from each other at an angle.

See below for more detailed information.

Last edited:

timbraun

Reaction score
I went with the Gotoh 510UB on my '16 LP DC. The Gotoh stud inserts are loose in the stock holes so I re-tapped the stock inserts to M8 and counter sunk the top of the insert so I could get the action down to where I wanted it.

20190109_211133.jpg

Interesting that you have a wraparound, my '97 LP DC came with a T-O-M bridge. Must be a Studio thing.

smk506

Reaction score
If not mistaken, a 1997 LP DC Studio has a 50's style wraparound where the bridge is NOT parallel to the bridge pup. If this is the case, I highly recommend a MojoAxe CWT.

The bridges in above posts are replacements for 60's style lightning bar wraparounds for guitars where the bridge is parallel to the bridge pup.

You have to look at the bridge posts on your guitar to see if they are even with each other or offset from each other at an angle.

See below for more detailed information.

I second this, I have 3 of them on my guitars and need to buy a 4th. Solves the intonation issues and looks classy.

asteksonus

Reaction score
My advice - don't do it. I have one of these DC Studios which I bought solely for the wraparound. Is the same as my 1960 Special and is great.

I have never heard a Wraptail with intonation problems (neither a well set up classical or folk guitar for that matter). It only has to be set up once and for all. If you are really worried you can ‘fettle’ the bridge.

Some OCD people retrofit ‘intonated’ aftermarket Wraptails – only to have something to fiddle with - instead of playing the guitar. Also, there is the ‘lightning bolt’ tailpiece introduced later on some 60’ s SGs – but these are adjusted for a different tailpiece angle and are not recommended as a replacement.

Wraptails – are good for playing, allow natural palm muting, maximize ringing sound transmission.

A Tunomatic (ABR or an intonated stoptail) gives individual intonation on a bridge but does not anchor the strings well and is a more complicated set-up, thereby dividing and dissipating vibration energy though several mechanical parts (the bridge, the tailpiece the saddles and screws and the annoying bit of wire holding the screws in place. Altogether an overkill.)

Latest Threads