'97 Les Paul Special DC with ABR bridge?

timbraun

Reaction score
Hello, folks.

I just bought a '97 Special DC and while setting it up for my preferences, I note that it has an old-school ABR-1 bridge, with studs. This seems strange to me. I have a couple other '90s Gibsons, an LP Std and a V - they both have the Nashville bridge with the inserts and studs that have integrated thumb wheels.

What's up with this old style bridge? Is that some attempt at vintage re-issue? Would it have been a special order or edition?

This is a TV Yellow model if that makes any difference. I found it in and had it shipped from Japan, if that makes a difference.

There were spacers on the tailpiece studs, too. Would those have been factory? I don't think so, I suspect the tailpiece spacers were someone's attempt to raise the tailpiece and have it clamped down firmly.

BridgeStudsDetail.jpg

ABRBridgeAndSpacers.jpg

Bend'n'Slide

Reaction score
Aftermarket change...?

It's a 20+ year-old guitar and plenty of folks swap out Nashville bridges for ABR.

timbraun

Reaction score
Aftermarket change...?

It's a 20+ year-old guitar and plenty of folks swap out Nashville bridges for ABR.
Wouldn't that leave a mark? The ABR studs don't have disturbed paint or wood grain (you'd need plugs, I think) around them.

I'm wondering about the 'Historic' LP's - maybe they put some 'Historic' features on this one.

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, the tailpiece studs are aftermarket for sure,....as there is no bottom ledge to hold the tailpiece in place....you have to use the spacers to lock it down.....the ABR on the other hand, have been in use from occasion to occasion as it still is in use today....as the original Specials used wraptails.

timbraun

Reaction score
Well, the tailpiece studs are aftermarket for sure,....as there is no bottom ledge to hold the tailpiece in place....you have to use the spacers to lock it down.....the ABR on the other hand, have been in use from occasion to occasion as it still is in use today....as the original Specials used wraptails.
Yeah, the 90s Specials have Tune-o-matics of some kind or another. I thought they were all Nashville style. I'm not too crazy about wrap-arounds, though my '18 Special with a wrap-around is fun fun fun.

This unit had a Bigsby in its history before me. A B7 or something long that went to the strap button. When they took that off they probably had misplaced the original Gibson studs. Okay, that explains the spacers.

I was considering re-Bigsby'ing this thing, but I'd want a B5 and that means even more holes in the top.

Thanks, guys - @mudface and @Bend'n'Slide. I'll settle down, put it together and play it! I'll chalk the ABR-1 up to a learning experience, and might consider replacing studs with Gibson parts if I see them at our local L&M.

zombiwoof

Reaction score
Yeah, the 90s Specials have Tune-o-matics of some kind or another. I thought they were all Nashville style. I'm not too crazy about wrap-arounds, though my '18 Special with a wrap-around is fun fun fun.

This unit had a Bigsby in its history before me. A B7 or something long that went to the strap button. When they took that off they probably had misplaced the original Gibson studs. Okay, that explains the spacers.

I was considering re-Bigsby'ing this thing, but I'd want a B5 and that means even more holes in the top.

Thanks, guys - @mudface and @Bend'n'Slide. I'll settle down, put it together and play it! I'll chalk the ABR-1 up to a learning experience, and might consider replacing studs with Gibson parts if I see them at our local L&M.
You could mount the B5 using a Vibramate adapter plate, which leaves no holes. I suggest using the "short-horn" version, because I see no reason to have that other leg of the plate sticking out where the Bigsby doesn't have it. I used that setup on my SG Classic, and it works great.
Al

endial

Reaction score
Dang it, bro.

You really need to give me that guitar. I'm a very deserving guy with a heart of gold. For reals.

If I were you I'd think "That endial cat is A-okay. Maybe I should just give him this guitar. You know...to be nice. 'Cause I'm like that. I'm just nice. Here endial!"

endial

Reaction score
Sorry @endial I'm just not quite that nice a guy... and this guitar is asking me to play it for a good while.
Well, it's the thought that counts. Thanks for thinking of me first as you came to your very-well-thought-out conclusion. Promise me a PM if and when you go to sell that beauty. Cool?

Latest Threads