93' studio weight

Oddball667

Reaction score
I'm starting to understand why les pauls are the guitars most recommended by chiropractors , this beautiful beast is heavy , just a half pound lighter than my heaviest bass ive owned.

Davey Rock

Reaction score
I'm starting to understand why les pauls are the guitars most recommended by chiropractors , this beautiful beast is heavy , just a half pound lighter than my heaviest bass ive owned.
I love no weight relief guitars. My great grandfather has a 78 Gibson "the" Paul and it weighs just as my Epiphone Les Paul custom, WITH a tremolo. Solid walnut body that is about half the thickness. Crazy that it hurts my back after only about ten minutes, but it's still a wonderous experience. I'm only a kids with this problem so Imagine my back problems when I'm older!

Oddball667

Reaction score
I feel like mine is especially heavy , ive read there supposed to weigh 10lbs , by my scale (and its accuracy isnt in question , checked it against the one at rhe hospital) mines almost 12.

Davey Rock

Reaction score
I feel like mine is especially heavy , ive read there supposed to weigh 10lbs , by my scale (and its accuracy isnt in question , checked it against the one at rhe hospital) mines almost 12.
From what I understand, Gibson and Epiphone went through a phase in ownership in the ninties called the good wood era. Basically the high class private stock guitars had the same wood as entry level guitars. Might be the reason, but still confusing because I read somewhere that the studios are chambered instead of simply weight relived. Like I said I like heavy guitars, and if I ever get another Paul it'll be a the Paul like my grandads or one from before 1983 (when they started weight relieving. The fact that's it's ten pounds sounds like good weight to me, but the empty space inside makes the guitar resonate really warm sounding. In a side by side sound clip comparison. Anyway. My favorite studio is Alpine white with ebony fretboard. Beautiful. But yes they are something else to deal with. Kind of a love hate relationship with mine. (Also might have to do with me trying to rebuild it for the last couple years and failing Because of lack of money.)

Oddball667

Reaction score
From what I understand, Gibson and Epiphone went through a phase in ownership in the ninties called the good wood era. Basically the high class private stock guitars had the same wood as entry level guitars. Might be the reason, but still confusing because I read somewhere that the studios are chambered instead of simply weight relived. Like I said I like heavy guitars, and if I ever get another Paul it'll be a the Paul like my grandads or one from before 1983 (when they started weight relieving. The fact that's it's ten pounds sounds like good weight to me, but the empty space inside makes the guitar resonate really warm sounding. In a side by side sound clip comparison. Anyway. My favorite studio is Alpine white with ebony fretboard. Beautiful. But yes they are something else to deal with. Kind of a love hate relationship with mine. (Also might have to do with me trying to rebuild it for the last couple years and failing Because of lack of money.)
As a bass player I'm used to the weight and actually prefer a heavy guitar otherwise it just feels weird to me , and yeah this guitar has a super warm sound that ive looked for in ever guitar ive ever played .
But I think you have it backwards about the weight relief but not 100% sure so now I will look it up .
Wich is why I love having conversations because it makes me want to learn lol.

jstarr823

Starr Guitar Works
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the best sounding Les Pauls I've ever owned was a 10 lb 60s Standard. Regret selling that one.

Oddball667

Reaction score
One of the best sounding Les Pauls I've ever owned was a 10 lb 60s Standard. Regret selling that one.
Man I lost my job so of course my girl wants me to sell this 93' studio i have with the Gibson USA case ......it aint happening , and has been a source of a few arguments , but theres nooooo way .
Ill donate plasma or sell a kidney first.

BKS

Reaction score
My 91 studio is around 11 pounds. Love it.
My mid nineties les paul dc studio is really lightweight.... That one is chambered wich is easy to spot when you open up the back. Only my Burny lc70rr is heavier, my scale can not weight it, too heavy :laugh2:

BKS

Reaction score
Man I lost my job so of course my girl wants me to sell this 93' studio i have with the Gibson USA case ......it aint happening , and has been a source of a few arguments , but theres nooooo way .
Ill donate plasma or sell a kidney first.
So what does she have you can sell....

Oddball667

Reaction score
The thing is we'll be fine , i injured my back and just need a little time to heal (im a carpenter and climb ALOT) right now even if I do get hired somewhere ill end up back in the same boat in maybe a month , just beed to let my back heal (great time to sit and play an 11lbs guitar lol) then go back to work .

Oddball667

Reaction score
My 91 studio is around 11 pounds. Love it.
My mid nineties les paul dc studio is really lightweight.... That one is chambered wich is easy to spot when you open up the back. Only my Burny lc70rr is heavier, my scale can not weight it, too heavy :laugh2:
Yeah man this 93 studio is 11.5 , its definitely not an ibanez rg or something it has some heft to it.
Actually been wondering if its not actually a Frankenstein with an older body and a studio neck , but not sure how to find out.
The guy i got it from keeps insisting its some sort of "custom" les paul , wich makes no sense because there was no custom shop and why would you have a "custom" studio ?
.....unless the. Original neck was broken or something and replaced with a 93' studio neck off another guitar the guy before him had .
It does have its "weirdness" like the weight being more than what I hear there supposed to weigh and it has a white pickgaurd on a red wine body with white speed knobs and grover tuners , a white selector switch knob , but a black poker chip and pickup rings , Chrome covers on the pickups and Schaller strap locks and a brown case with the pink fur that says Gibson USA.

BKS

Reaction score
Mine came with a epiphone case :dunno: :laugh2: :laugh2:
All stock Beside pickups. When i got it it had the original 490 in the neck but a seymour duncan '59 in bridge wich i didn't like. Got a great '59 neck shape and with the smooth ebony board it is the guitar i pick up most of the time. It sings...
Yours might have had hardware etc changed.
I believe there were custom shop studio's, not shure tho.
DSC_3371_compress46.jpg
DSC_3372_compress62.jpg
DSC_3373_compress60.jpg

Oddball667

Reaction score
Mine definitely has a different pickgaurd and knobs and tuners , still has the covers and a different pickgaurd but same color (after seeing yours I may change it to black though , yours looks great!) But it really does sing beyond my ability to actually play it .
But I cant seem to put this guitar down its 7:30 am and I'm sitting here about to make coffe and start picking at it , kinda my morning ritual now and it doesn't stop till about 1am lol

Attachments

Reactions: BKS

Oddball667

Reaction score
No, no I don't .
Theres no way in hell THAT will happen to my guitar!
Id probably bury someone in the cornfield by my house over some shit like that.

MSB

Reaction score
if LPs had belly cuts, no one would complain about weight. #provemewrong

Oddball667

Reaction score
I would actually love a belly cut , but would never have it done because I'm afraid it would effect tone , actually dont plan on doing ANYTHING to this guitar but changing the strings and have considered putting a black pickgaurd back on it instead of the white mother of pearl , but idk the contrast makes mine unique compared to the other 93 wine red studios out there .
But that would be about it

BKS

Reaction score
Both my Gibson les paul dc have bellycut ;)
No complaints of weight... Both are chambered :laugh2:

Oddball667

Reaction score
Im just in love with this tone and scared to touch anything and loose that "magic"
....the guy i got it from has had it for about 5 years and it sat in his closet and he plays his 70's SG's
But some University of Nebraska football player owned it before him (I assume thats who had the grovers installed , and the white pickgaurd and knobs) its dinged uo and worn in spots from being played and for all i know the pickups have been changes or tone pots or something idk havnt opened it up to look .
But for now as it sits its pretty much exactly what I want it to sound like .
I mean I'm going to obviously get a better amp then this cheap Marshall , possibly a tube such as an orange or a messa idk yet , but also kinda want some sort of fender tweed for like a bluesy tone when I wanna .
Maybe a pedal or 2 like a OD-1 and or some sort of big muff maybe a wah and a better reverb because I'm having fun with the crappy Marshall reverb at the moment and just see where it goes you know and explore a diffrent music pallet than I ever really have .
Just have fun with it you know .
Like I said in a few other post im not looking to be in a band or play anything specific just jam alone and find "my sound" and have fun , maybe do some jamming with the neighbor here and there whos 20 years older than I am and completely into diffrent music then most of the guys I would normally try and make music with and just idk do MY thing and everyone else be damned.
.....if I suck and nobody likes how I play or sound but I do then who cares ypu know!?
I'm not trying to earn a living with my guitar for my family (I have a $300 hammer for that lol) .
Just trying to be a happy person .

Reactions: BKS

Latest Threads