93 Les Paul Custom, what to do?

samworkman1

Reaction score
A bunch of years ago, probably around 2003. I acquired a 93 Les Paul Custom. It's a real beauty with the figured maple top but tonally I've always thought it was a bit harsh. May be it's the ebony fingerboard, not sure. I'm struggling with it a bit and was wondering if anyone has a line on the original specs. It had the original neck p/u but the bridge was replaced with a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates Plus which I didn't like much. Tried a 500T for a while but settled on the Bustbucker 1 and 2's but still not completely happy with that. The GC near me has an LPR7 used in stock and I'm seriously thinking about it. Of course it's a substantial bit of extra coin to make that move and really liking not being in debt right now. One must have their priorities. Any input or advice would be appriciated. If I can restore it to original specs maybe I'll love it. I trust it was shipped from the factory the way Gibson thought it "should" sound. Back around 1998 I used to go to GC and play a LPR7 with the same Burstbuckers I put in my Custom through a Budda SD18 and absolutely loved it. Just not liking them as much in the Custom but they are different guitars? What to do?

judson

Reaction score
depending on condition if you wanted to move the 93 out you may be able to pick up a used R7 for the same money if you shop around...maybe not an even money thing but if you look for a player, you might be able to strike a trade .....

post some pics of the custom

i picked up an R8 for $2k not too long ago....but honestly i just wanted to see if the Rs were as good as many claimed....honestly im real happy with it, so i get it now.......

been looking for a R4 for a reasonable number ...but they are a bit pricey for me at this point

so anything is possible, maybe

oh welcome to MLP...you will find a ton of experts here, best place on the net for info...and alot fun

plus you can never post too many pics...the more the better

and dont get offended by a few odd comments, its usually just in fun

Last edited:

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
WELCOME to the MADHOUSE!!

Part of it could be the Budda; if you're not using your Custom through a Budda.

I recommend trying the one at GC either through your rig, or through something similar. OR, buy the one at GC, bring it home and try it through your rig. You can ALWAYS return it if it ain't up to snuff. If you like it (feel, tone, etc) you can move your Custom on.

ARandall

Reaction score
93 is the typical modern specs.......mahogany and maple with 9 hole weight relief, ebony fretboard.
Original pickups are 489T bridge and 490R neck pickups

And there is no 'should' to the way any Gibson is supposed to sound. All forms of Les Paul have had everything from firebreathing to ultimate mellow pickups installed at one time or other in history.
In fact the 498T/490R is the most mismatched or poorly selected pickup combo Gibson has ever made. A deliberately bright and harsh pickup fitted into a spot that only makes the issue worse......coupled with a dull neck pickup fitted into the spot that will make that pickup worse too.

samworkman1

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the info and advice. Think if the r7 is still there next weekend I'll check it out. I thought it was a 490r and 498t but haven't been able to source that for sure anywhere. If'n only she weren't so dang pretty. Love the mojo of the r7's with those big baseball bat sized necks. They may not have a figured maple top but the gold top is so iconic, maybe it's time. Been trying to make this square peg fit into a round hole for too long, I am stubborn like that. Besides the Budda which you may be completely correct on. Man, they're great. I always figured it may be the ebony board. I'm getting more slap than growl. I want snap in my tele's but I want my LP to sing. Mahogany, maple top and Brazilian rosewood are the classic combo for that Allman Brothers sound. Singing cleans with growling over drive tones.

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I assume you've adjusted the height of your pickups to see if that helps. Sounds like the R7 has gotten its hooks into you anyway.

I say figure out a way to keep both. :naughty:

musicmaniac

Reaction score
If you love the custom work with one of our pickup vendors and see if they can wind something for you.

skydog

Reaction score
I guarantee you the harshness is not due to an ebony fretboard.

Latest Threads