93 Gibson Les Paul Standard Specs

punkoteloco

Reaction score
Hi folks,

ive recently acquired my first Gibson Les Paul, a Standard 93 in Heritage Cherry Sunburst and im looking to get more info on it. Ive changed the pups to a pair of Bare Knuckle PG Blues (i dont like the 498T and the 490R, this last one didnt have the Gibson graving on the back). But i need more info about the volume pot values, if its good to change them to 500k, and the type of rosewood that comes in this guitar. Its only to know more about my axe.
I must say it sound incredibly good!

Thanks a lot!

punkoteloco

in2madness

Reaction score
If the pots and wiring have not been changed they will be 300k linear volume and 500k audio taper tone pots. As to whether or not changing them out will sound better or make them more usable depends on how you use your volume/tone pots and your personal taste. I know what I like but that may not be right for you.

P.S. BK PG Blues are great pickups

punkoteloco

Reaction score
Pots and wiring are intact (well, apart from pickup change) so the volume pots should be 300k. Changing them to 500k will make the guitar sound a little bit brigter?

PS: The PG Blues are incredible. I love them.

SJJMcGhee

Reaction score
Welcome to the early 90's LP club, you'll like it here :thumb:

Mines is 93 too, how do the BK's compare to the stocks, more "open" so to speak?

River

Reaction score
I have a '92 that came with two 490Rs. One of them is still in the bridge, but flipped. The neck's been replaced with a Phat Cat. I did the "50s wiring" mod, and that's it. It's more than bright enough (hence the flipped bridge) to be mistaken for a Tele.

Yes, welcome to the club. :photos: are required.

SJJMcGhee

Reaction score
I have a '92 that came with two 490Rs. One of them is still in the bridge, but flipped. The neck's been replaced with a Phat Cat. I did the "50s wiring" mod, and that's it. It's more than bright enough (hence the flipped bridge) to be mistaken for a Tele.

Yes, welcome to the club. :photos: are required.

River, i have heard that a Phat Cat is a little less bright than a normal p-90, what's your opinion? You know your stuff, would be very greatful for your take on the pickup. Thinking of putting one in the bridge of my 93, just to make it a little more unique, no-one in any of the bands around my age plays LPs anyway, but it'd be a cool new sound for the whole thing.

Cheers for any advice man.

River

Reaction score
River, i have heard that a Phat Cat is a little less bright than a normal p-90, what's your opinion? You know your stuff, would be very greatful for your take on the pickup. Thinking of putting one in the bridge of my 93, just to make it a little more unique, no-one in any of the bands around my age plays LPs anyway, but it'd be a cool new sound for the whole thing.

Cheers for any advice man.
Not all P-90s are created equal, and I haven't played that many, but I would say the Phat Cat is just as bright in the high end, but has more mid-range "guts", and DC resistance figures notwithstanding, is definitely much higher-output. I'm running one in the bridge of my Melody Maker "V", and it has as much ability to overdrive a preamp as does a 7.x kOhm PAF replica. "Real" P-90s don't, IME.

punkoteloco

Reaction score
Welcome to the early 90's LP club, you'll like it here

Mines is 93 too, how do the BK's compare to the stocks, more "open" so to speak?

I find the BK more defined. The stock pups cut very well in the mix when used distorted, but i found them to bee a little to muddy when used clean.

Yes, welcome to the club. are required.
Haha, great sound there, but two 490r? wow, that is incredible!. I will post pics of my LP as soon as i can.

Madagascan rosewood

Thanks a lot!!!!

River

Reaction score
Haha, great sound there, but two 490r? wow, that is incredible!. I will post pics of my LP as soon as i can.
Yeah, I never cared what they were, and only tried to find out after I joined here. "Everyone" said they had to be an R/T mismatched pair, but they aren't. SKATTERBRANE confirmed from photos and DCR measurements that they're two 490Rs - no embossing, no sticker, no nothing.

The 490R makes a very nice bridge pickup, IMO.

SJJMcGhee

Reaction score
Not all P-90s are created equal, and I haven't played that many, but I would say the Phat Cat is just as bright in the high end, but has more mid-range "guts", and DC resistance figures notwithstanding, is definitely much higher-output. I'm running one in the bridge of my Melody Maker "V", and it has as much ability to overdrive a preamp as does a 7.x kOhm PAF replica. "Real" P-90s don't, IME.

Thanks alot man, i like one channel amps (desperately saving for an AC-30 :naughty:) and the clean cut i've heard in alot of your stuff really apeals to me. I may keep the guitar stock depending on how it is when i finally get a larger gigging amp. I love the sound through my Superchamp XD, but if i gig with the AC-30, more people will hear that so i'll alter till that is my dream tone. I like to just pick lighter or roll back the volume for clean, none of this two channel stuff for me :laugh2: Thanks alot for the advice, really respect your opinion on that.

And river just liked 2 posts in a row, must be a special day :)

River

Reaction score
And river just liked 2 posts in a row, must be a special day :)
The pleasure is all mine. This is all done on the Phat Cat neck. You can definitely hear the quacky midrange of which it's capable, and plenty of high end.

[SC]http://soundcloud.com/river-bottom-blues-band/greta-phat-cat[/SC]

SJJMcGhee

Reaction score
Really sorry to the OP for not helping him the comandeering his thread. I do very much apologise for that good sir.

SJJMcGhee

Reaction score
That is a lovely tone, all the signs of what i like, with some AC-30 sparkle, that would be my ideal tone. Being able to go from good old Capton style drive to great cleans is what i'm looking for. Thank you for being so helpful and going out of your way to put up the soundcloud link River, very much appreciated.

That LP isn't just a pretty face, it's a tone machine too. :applause:

punkoteloco

Reaction score
The pleasure is all mine. This is all done on the Phat Cat neck. You can definitely hear the quacky midrange of which it's capable, and plenty of high end.

[SC]http://soundcloud.com/river-bottom-blues-band/greta-phat-cat[/SC]

WOW! Great tone you got there. I love it!

Latest Threads