91 or 92 Les Paul Standard, read and tell me if this is worth $900

Demoking

Reaction score
Ebony Standard, definately been around the block a dozen times. PLays and feels like it should and it is defiantely a boat anchor.
Pain is chipped in many places and there are spots where the binding seems like its racking or splitting. Totalyl a players guitar and not a showpiece by any means.
The surrounds have been replaced with black. The pickups are who knows what so may need replaced. There appears to be a spot on the right side of the headstock where the finish is coming off or bubbled. I would assume that it was from moisture or getting wet but who knows.
It also has Grover tuners on it but the original ones are available as well.
The frets are in pretty decent shape except for a few very minor divots where they usually tend to show up around the 1st couple of frets.
He originally wanted $1000. He's down to $900. I think I may offer him $800 on it.
I am going to attempt to post some not very revealing pics here in a second.

Demoking

Reaction score
Here are the pics. You can actually see some of the bubbles up finish on the headstock on the righthand side. It looks lighter. The pics dont portray the bumps and dings. I think a good buffing or wet sanding or whatever could make it shine again but aside from a refinish this is just a guitar to play, not much to show. I'd prob put either chrome or the original cream colored stuff back on it.

Attachments

• les paul 001.jpg
    les paul 001.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 183
  • les paul 003.jpg
    les paul 003.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 196
  • les paul 006.jpg
    les paul 006.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 151

Demoking

Reaction score
Think so?
What does it take to at least make it shine again? Some kind of buffing or wet sanding?
I'm thinking I would have to put $300 in it for new pickups (back to the chrome covered, prob Duncans) and replace a few things to make it look more stock again.

diceman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It is worth half again what you've talked him down to, easily.

$300 for Duncans? Might as well get some hand winds for that kind of money.

I'd snatch it up in an instant at that price.

cynic79

Reaction score
As long as the neck is solid (no breaks), that's a steal.

I'd leave it as is, warts and all. Guitars are meant to be played, not to be showroom pieces.

FastFret

Reaction score
A Standard under a Grand? You haven't got it yet? Sounds like a deal! :thumb:

dkuther

Reaction score
It looks like a player so as long as it plays well the price sounds great to me.

a totally stock one in great shape would probably be somewhere between $1500 and $1800 I'm guessing.

45WinMag

Reaction score
I think he's asking way too much.

If you give me his name and contact info, I'll go sort him out for you. :D

Demoking

Reaction score
I am trading him a Seventh Circle mic preamp and $450 for it, after I check it out real good one more time.
I'm telling you, she is in roughish shape, doesnt look it from the pics but she is.

Someone tell me how to buff the shine back out of it and it get it looking glossy again, at least improved.

jomo

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Hell, if you're a little undecided, go ahead and get it and if you don't want to keep it, I'll buy it from you. Seriously, there's your "piece of mind". :cool:

45WinMag

Reaction score
Even if it's in rough shape, you're getting a great deal. Needs creme pickup rings and double zebras.

Demoking

Reaction score
Hell, if you're a little undecided, go ahead and get it and if you don't want to keep it, I'll buy it from you. Seriously, there's your "piece of mind". :cool:

lol done!

And 45winmag... I agree. I want a fresh new cream pick guard on it too.

THat or a bunch of chrome :)

Latest Threads