90's vs 2000's--Classics

Underliner6

Reaction score
I know all this is opinion, but I'm looking for facts. Are 90's classics better

than the newer 2000 models. I have heard from many that 90's gibson quality

was better than the current quality and the first run classics were the best. I

have also heard the first run classics were early precursor to the Historic

runs. I have no idea, so i am asking you guys.

Thanks!

VictorB

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
At some point, they started making Classics with multiple piece backs, I'm not sure when. Someone will chime in and help.

lp_junkie

Reaction score
Yes the early Classics were better, they were closer to what eventually became the R0.

Details were better, and the ABR-1 combined with the vintage sized Kluson tuners made the Classics one of the better offerings of the late 80's (89 was the first year) and 90's.

The early 2000's were very similar to the 90's models in terms of quality and features, the late 2000's saw the addition of the Nashville bridge and became just a Standard with a Classic TRC.

Some people whine about the "snot green" inlays on some years but that is something easy to fix with some replacements.

The last year that I really like is 2002 though.

Underliner6

Reaction score
Yes the early Classics were better, they were closer to what eventually became the R0.

Details were better, and the ABR-1 combined with the vintage sized Kluson tuners made the Classics one of the better offerings of the late 80's (89 was the first year) and 90's.

The early 2000's were very similar to the 90's models in terms of quality and features, the late 2000's saw the addition of the Nashville bridge and became just a Standard with a Classic TRC.

Some people whine about the "snot green" inlays on some years but that is something easy to fix with some replacements.

Are the early classics worth more in value?

goodwater

Reaction score
I recently sold a '91 plaintop Classic for $1900---great guitar

Underliner6

Reaction score
I recently sold a '91 plaintop Classic for $1900---great guitar

Cool. I was looking at prices of Classics on ebay and i saw the early 90's ones were near 2 grand and the newer classic were from 1200-1400. Thanks!

lp_junkie

Reaction score
Are the early classics worth more in value?

Yes, the early ones hold their value a little better I think it's because they had better fit and finish than later versions of the Classic.

I sold my 01 for $1000 but my 89 went for $1800, I sold them because I really thought I wanted an R9.

TheImmaterial

Reaction score
I read this awhile ago and it was informative. I seem to remember it saying that the the reason they intoduced snot green inlays, plaintops et al is because people were buying the premium plus classics instead of the newly introduced line of R9s (same/better flame at a fraction of the price).

Les Paul Classic Premium Plus

floyd84

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I read this awhile ago and it was informative. I seem to remember it saying that the the reason they intoduced snot green inlays, plaintops et al is because people were buying the premium plus classics instead of the newly introduced line of R9s (same/better flame at a fraction of the price).

Les Paul Classic Premium Plus

Thanks, now I'm gassng for that purple one :laugh2:

Alligatorbling

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

i have an 03, one of the later made school ones. its a great guitar.

uncajoey

Reaction score
I've had the opposite experience of many. I had a '99 Cherry Sunburst Classic Plus that had a nice top, but just ok action and tone. I recently picked up a 2002 honeyburst plainop 3 pickup that is just magic. Go figure.

EasyAce

Reaction score
i have an 03, one of the later made school ones. its a great guitar.

I've got an '07 Classic Antique. It's a beautiful, buttery guitar for playing the blues even with the two-piece bottom. But I'd gladly think about getting another earlier Classic. They hold their own and then some with any 1950s reissue Standard.

Schtang

Reaction score
I have a 2004 which leaves many Gibson Les Pauls I have played for dead. Great neck and an amazing fretboard. The most prefect fretboard "craftmanship" I have ever seen on a Gibson, or for that matter any guitar I have come in contact with. Not a single blemish on the freatboard, nor any blemishes on any part of the guitar.

yClassic_web.jpg

jlb32

Reaction score
I have a 2004 which leaves many Gibson Les Pauls I have played for dead. Great neck and an amazing fretboard. The most prefect fretboard "craftmanship" I have ever seen on a Gibson, or for that matter any guitar I have come in contact with. Not a single blemish on the freatboard, nor any blemishes on any part of the guitar.

I feel the same way about my '99 CinnamonBurst Les Paul Classic. I've yet to find a Les Paul of any year that can compete with it for what I love in a guitar. It just plays and sounds unreal. Even my Les Paul Custom (that I also love) can't come close to topping it.

Latest Threads