90's stock 57 Classics - both positions same pickup?

Musha Ring

Reaction score
Perhaps you guys can lay to rest a debate a friend and I have been having. He's looking to buy a 1990s Custom, which we've heard came with 57 Classics. This got us talking. I've heard (here I believe) that in the 90s when 57 Classics were newer, neck and bridge pickup were the same - both were just a 57 Classic, with the newer 57+ in the bridge coming along later. My friend claims the 57+ was in the bridge since the 57's introduction.

Can anyone here shed some light on this one way or the other?

Brian N

Reaction score
The 57+ came along later. The 57 Classic is meant to go in both positions, same pickup, just like the original PAFs. They still do 57 Classic in both positions on some models.

Leee

Reaction score
Last year I bought a pristine Custom, a ‘68 reissue built in 2003.

I presumed the guitar would have 490/498 in it like most Customs did, and knew in advance that I may very likely put 57 Classics at it.
Hands-down my favorite pickup in a Gibson.

I got it home, plugged it in, and immediately loved it!
I was so very surprised by the guitar and the pickup combination and the way it responded.
Maybe I have underestimated the 490/498.
I’ve had them in other Les Pauls, and they are cool enough, but I was never particularly blown away with them.

A few days later, I called Gibson customer service with the serial number to find out any missing details on the guitar.
As he was reading through the build information on it, he said the pickups were 57 Classics.

What?
Are you sure?

I grabbed a plastic ruler and measured the distance between the pole pieces and confirmed they were the same.

RIGHT ON!

Unexpected bonus.

Leee

Reaction score
And yes, the 57+ was years later.

Latest Threads