90 Day Fitness Thread: Day 1!

lucidspoon

Reaction score
I just can't see the benefit of being able to lift a car but not being able to run a half block.
Unless you're talking extremes of either, like professional runner or lifter, I'd say most people would benefit in day to day life from lifting more than running faster. Moving furniture, carrying all the groceries in one trip, setting up equipment, etc. But when was the last time you had to run outside of a sport or exercise?

I like running 5Ks, but other than that, running is boring as hell for me. No real motivation to try to improve my time, but getting a bigger lift feels great. Of course, I'm not lifting crazy and probably won't be. 315 would be awesome for me, but there was a dude at the gym today who couldn't have been more than 150 lbs squatting 315 for at least 5 reps at a time.

bildozr

Deliberately Obtuse
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I respect the sport, don't get me wrong. I just don't get why anybody would choose to do it? Participants tend to be big fat guys, lots of muscle, but a gut to go with it. I prefer more reps with a mild amount of weight and having that beach body that you speak of. I just can't see the benefit of being able to lift a car but not being able to run a half block.
Cuz people like being really good at things, and sometimes things differ amongst our hobbies. But yes, a well rounded fitness is important, and cardio vs weights only matter/effect the other at the elite level of either. And really that's untrue. These sports have weight classes in which the majority fit. You only ever see the extremes.

Last edited:

bildozr

Deliberately Obtuse
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Unless you're talking extremes of either, like professional runner or lifter, I'd say most people would benefit in day to day life from lifting more than running faster. Moving furniture, carrying all the groceries in one trip, setting up equipment, etc. But when was the last time you had to run outside of a sport or exercise?

I like running 5Ks, but other than that, running is boring as hell for me. No real motivation to try to improve my time, but getting a bigger lift feels great. Of course, I'm not lifting crazy and probably won't be. 315 would be awesome for me, but there was a dude at the gym today who couldn't have been more than 150 lbs squatting 315 for at least 5 reps at a time.
315 isn't that much weight at all in the scheme of things, and if you keep up your hard work, you'll be repping it before you know it.

lucidspoon

Reaction score
315 isn't that much weight at all in the scheme of things, and if you keep up your hard work, you'll be repping it before you know it.
Right, but point being just from a personal enjoyment of accomplishment, I'm fine with my 5K time (30 minutes), even though the average non-runner could probably do that pretty easily without training. I'd rather work on lifting, even if I don't plan on being Superman. ;)

lucidspoon

Reaction score
New 3RM @ 245. Was pumped from getting it, so I went for a new 1RM @ 265. I was pretty slow coming up, but it was smooth, so I decided to go for 275. I got down to parallel, back up about 4 inches, and... got stuck. First time that I've ever had to bail on a squat. As I was getting out from the rack, I heard a guy say to his buddy, "oh... It hurts when that happens..." Didn't hurt anything other than my ego, which might have been what he meant.

At least I got a couple wins first!

bildozr

Deliberately Obtuse
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
New 3RM @ 245. Was pumped from getting it, so I went for a new 1RM @ 265. I was pretty slow coming up, but it was smooth, so I decided to go for 275. I got down to parallel, back up about 4 inches, and... got stuck. First time that I've ever had to bail on a squat. As I was getting out from the rack, I heard a guy say to his buddy, "oh... It hurts when that happens..." Didn't hurt anything other than my ego, which might have been what he meant.

At least I got a couple wins first!
Can't be taking these unplanned 1RM my dude! lol Congrats nonetheless, but seriously man, it's in the cards. You're gonna hit 275 in a few weeks. Just gotta trust the program.

But I had to bail a squat too the week before my deload, was not happy about it. Kills the ego.

You got deload this week, take it as prescribed, don't overwork on weight x reps.

Last edited:

lucidspoon

Reaction score
Can't be taking these unplanned 1RM my dude! lol
I know! I know! I debated it, and I think the hot chick squatting 200+ for reps next to me might have swayed me to go for it... Great ass!

bildozr

Deliberately Obtuse
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I know! I know! I debated it, and I think the hot chick squatting 200+ for reps next to me might have swayed me to go for it... Great ass!
I know man, when I first started lifting, I was doing deadlift doubles at 225. Some tiny 5' girl sets up at the platform next to me, and starts banging out sets of 5 quickly, then throws on more weight. But I eventually got over it, especially with olympic weightlifting, where the ratio is like 3 girls to 1 guy. Eventually I just got stronger than all the chicks lol. New gym I'm at is mostly HS kids getting in the sport. Kinda weird when you become the strong guy, and these kids are always like, "Oh shit man..." when I load the bar. Still getting used to it. My old gym was a straight up dungeon. Everyone was strong, and I mean most guys were in the 1200-2200lb total range, chicks were 800+.

NewDayHappy

Reaction score
I respect the sport, don't get me wrong. I just don't get why anybody would choose to do it? Participants tend to be big fat guys, lots of muscle, but a gut to go with it. I prefer more reps with a mild amount of weight and having that beach body that you speak of. I just can't see the benefit of being able to lift a car but not being able to run a half block.
The thing that's ironic is the powerlifters want to get bigger and bigger but they fail to realize that their heart eventually becomes enlarged and they drop dead in their 50s. The ones that don't die end up with hip and knee replacements and herniated discs.

Be careful with the bodybuilding thing too, it's not just the powerlifters that are dropping like flies. CT Fletcher, Rich Piana, Dallas McCarver etc, these guys are dying way too early. I was in tears when Rich Piana died. :(

My idols are Jack Lalane and Frank Zane, I'm looking at the big picture, the next 50 years. I want to be going for 5 mile runs when I'm 90.

Seven

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Bodybuilding on a shit ton of gear and bodybuilding natural are too very different things...

lucidspoon

Reaction score
Starting to notice differences outside of the gym. I've put on about 5-7 pounds in the past 6 months. Usually when I have that much extra weight, I can tell in my face, so I was hesitant to shave or trim my beard. I did this weekend, and I think it looks thinner than before. Also, my pants are getting a little tight around the thighs, but not the waist. :)

lucidspoon

Reaction score
I'm struggling. I'm trying to get 245 for 5 reps. I've gotten it for 3 recently, and I've gotten 235 for 5, so it shouldn't be that hard.

I tried yesterday before work and could only get 2 reps. Chalked it up to just being early in the morning. I went again this morning and I could only get 2. Dropped down to 225 and still only got 2. Dropped again to 185 and could only get 6.

I started tracking my diet the past couple weeks to try to start eating more. I'm getting at least 2750 calories with a lot of protein, and I can tell it's more calories than normal, because I have to force myself to get the last few hundred in. Maybe I need to go higher?

NewDayHappy

Reaction score

Has to do with cardiovascular health. A runner will live longer than a powerlifter.

Anyways, quick update on me, I started doing intermittent fasting on May 30th, I've lost 6lbs in 8 days, the weight is really starting to come off. I started fasting for 14 hours now I'm up to 17-18 hours of fasting. My strength has nearly doubled, I was doing 25 reps of shoulder raises with 20lbs. Starting to get veins and vascularity again, in another 15lbs I think I'll have a pretty nice physique, so close. I'm trying to get to 220lbs at 6'2, once I gain my strength and conditioning back I'm going to focus heavy on cardiovascular health. I'm hoping I'm down to 250 in a month, doing well. My calories are exactly the same but instead of eating 2,300 calories over 16 hours, I eat 2,300 calories over 7-8, I love it.

danohat

Reaction score
Cleaning the gym for 8 weeks of lifting before my next mandatory break. Ready to get at it.

danohat

Reaction score
I did it! I’m back. 3x per week till September. In addition to golfing, kayaking, swimming and hard job. If I wasn’t this active I’d be 100lbs overweight.

lucidspoon

Reaction score
Went on vacation last month without any gyms even at the hotels. I tried a couple times to get back into it afterwards, but as soon as I did, I got sick.

Back at it today. Only got 225 for squat and 5x225 for DL. Just need to get back on schedule!

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
( I'm just going to jump back into this thread . haven't been here in awhile )

Has to do with cardiovascular health. A runner will live longer than a powerlifter.
besides the damage that the power lifters can do to their bodies __ there's also the long term maintenance ( of muscle ) to consider . as people get older , it takes more work to see the same gains / benefits of heavy lifting

Anyways, quick update on me, I started doing intermittent fasting on May 30th, I've lost 6lbs in 8 days, the weight is really starting to come off. I started fasting for 14 hours now I'm up to 17-18 hours of fasting. My strength has nearly doubled, I was doing 25 reps of shoulder raises with 20lbs. Starting to get veins and vascularity again, in another 15lbs I think I'll have a pretty nice physique, so close. I'm trying to get to 220lbs at 6'2, once I gain my strength and conditioning back I'm going to focus heavy on cardiovascular health. I'm hoping I'm down to 250 in a month, doing well. My calories are exactly the same but instead of eating 2,300 calories over 16 hours, I eat 2,300 calories over 7-8, I love it.
look into Dr. Rhonda Patrick's advice ( on YouTube ) on doing the intermittent fasting . personally , I think that everyone can benefit from doing this __ but keeping the eating window to 8 or 9 hours , is much safer than some of the keto diets . that recommend only eating 5 or 6 hours out of the day

and calorie consumption is less important , than focusing on the types of calories . if you're thinking about cardiovascular health __ consider trying out an SOS free plant based diet . there are plenty of athletes that have enjoyed the benefits of this method . without worrying about getting enough protein