8Bomb posts an interesting video about Gibson CS nitrocellulose

GearHo

Reaction score
Just so you know, 8 bomb doesn’t build guitars. He isn’t bashing the build, so just relax. He is an expert in varnishes and lacquer finishing. I have been following him for a few years and he is very informative, does beautiful work, and he knows his stuff.
I just read his webpage, and he claims that there is a tonal difference in lacquer as it is applied to a guitar.

That is bull, the lacquer or finish does nothing more than cover and protect the wood, it does not affect the tone at all. He obviously does nice finish work and studied with some premier builders, but we have seen a lot of these guys come down the road for some time now.

edro

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
PRSi are great to look at…. But for me, that’s it. I have played a ton of them, and owned one for awhile.

IMO, they were all tonally dead. The body, neck, does not vibrate at all when you play it.

I tried swapping pickups and the damn thing was still a tone turd.

I think collectors will like them, because they are pretty to look at, but as I gig regularly, I’ll take a Les Paul of any era instead.

I use these guitars as tools, I’ll take a small finish flaw (not the early Murphy finish falling off though) over a PRS tone turd any day.

No culturin.....not nary bit.......

Probably don't like okra, puppies, or biled goobs neefer.....

:laugh2:

Lingeringlead

Reaction score
just so you know, I dont Need to relax because I was never excited in the first place.
1674688673188.jpeg

J557

Reaction score
I guess there’s the rub, people generally want finishes that don’t age, unless of course they are chasing that 50’s vibe, which is perfectly fine, and I guess Gibson like others are providing that long lasting finish with what they use these days.

I would, if I lived in the USA, buy the best standard I could find and have it refinished with hard lacquer, with a braz board and screw the hot hide glue neck joint.
I’ve often wondered why more people don’t do this. I say that even though I have a custom shop LP that I bought used so not full retail.

Jimmi

Reaction score
I find some of the comments here interesting. A lot of life is expectations and 50 yrs of interest in these guitars and marketing of the reissues has spawned many of those.

I think you need to try and play and really look over some of these original guitars. They run the gamut. Some are fantastic some are crap (very few).

I have had vintage guitars since my teens (late 80s), probably played 30 or more real bursts and own reissues from the first early 80s and more recent ones. I think the finish does impact the sound. The original guitars were built by people who were used to making acoustics and made them similarly and I think that adds to why some are really special. The older reissues are great guitars but are different than the 50s-mid/late 60s ones. The newer reissues are much closer to the originals than in the past. Necks are starting to be much more reasonable (although the R9 neck shoulder is still too thick for a ‘59 and the R8s are still ridiculously too thick). There is a price to be paid for that…if you want the sound, feel and look of a vintage guitar then you have to put up with some idiosyncrasies such as checking, finish bleeding etc. Gibson is trying to add enough plastizer to increase the durability while giving it some of the vintage attributes that you want. It is a balance but much closer than it has been in the past….better than even 6-7 yrs ago.

Latest Threads