88 LP Fret buzz/Rattle

mbbreen

Reaction score
Ok I know I have seen this particular issue listed several times and have tried all of the fixes that I have found listed, of course maybe I missed something.
I picked up an 88 LP Standard a couple of months ago. The setup and strings were horrible so I cleaned her up took her to my friend who actually is the local guitar tech and asked him to go through her and check her out and do a full setup. He gave her a clean bill of health except for a fret buzz on the “D” starting around the 3rd fret. The frets did look pretty good but due to the age of the guitar and the fact a few frets could use some work I went ahead and had the frets leveled and crowned. That helped but unfortunately did not stop the buzzing/rattling.
I did some checking on the forums and came up with several things’ others had done in the past that fixed the same type of issue so I have checked or tried the following.
1. Verified the neck has no issue
2. String are new have tried several sets, brands and 2 sizes (10 and 11) all the results the same.
3. Frets have been crowned and leveled
4. Bridge, Tail piece and Tuners have been checked. All were in useable condition (I did have 2 worn tuners) but as a last resort all have been replaced.
5. Full Setup has been done (twice).
At this point I am at a loss as to what else to try.
Any ideas/suggested fixes would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Mike

slug_maine

Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by tuners were checked but I had a rattle that was the nuts on the front of the tuners nut being tight. And welcome to MLP.

DarrellV

'I'm not stupid, you just don't understand....'
Premium Member
Reaction score
except for a fret buzz on the “D” starting around the 3rd fret. The frets did look pretty good but due to the age of the guitar and the fact a few frets could use some work I went ahead and had the frets leveled and crowned. That helped but unfortunately did not stop the buzzing/rattling.
Try a new bridge... Yours may be partially collapsed, someone was over zealous in filing the saddle, but from what you are describing, and realizing that the D string is near the center , that is the highest, part of the neck radius, I would say try another bridge on there. Yours is too flat.

I own an 82.....

:welcome:

mbbreen

Reaction score
All Thanks for the replies so far.
I have already replaced the:
1. Bridge and Tail piece (installed New TonePros parts)
2. Since I did have 2 very worn tuners I also replaced all of the tuners with a set off of a 90's LP broken neck I had been given.

I have also been back over the guitar and rechecked all screws, nuts and wiring etc. to make sure I had nothing loose.

I am considering the possibility of the nut maybe being cut to deep (it is the original) or possibly tweaking the Truss rod a little more to add in some relief.
The buzzing is mainly when I am fretting 3rd thru about 6th fret on the "D"

Thanks again

Mike

Last edited:

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
All Thanks for the replies so far.
I have already replaced the:
1. Bridge and Tail piece (installed New TonePros parts)
2. Since I did have 2 very worn tuners I also replaced all of the tuners with a set off of a 90's LP broken neck I had been given.

I have also been back over the guitar and rechecked all screws, nuts and wiring etc. to make sure I had nothing loose.

I am considering the possibility of the nut maybe being cut to deep (it is the original) or possibly tweaking the Truss rod a little more to add in some relief.
The buzzing is mainly when I am fretting 3rd thru about 6th fret on the "D"

Thanks again

Mike
Sounds like a truss rod/relief issue.... definitely not nut being cut too deep

DoneOne

Reaction score
or possibly tweaking the Truss rod a little more to add in some relief.
what FreddyG said... I'm just posting out of curiosity. i.e.: what strings were on it when you got it? How low did you have your action set? Does the buzzing go away when you add string tension by tuning the string up a step or so?

mbbreen

Reaction score
Thanks Freddy,
I am planning on trying to add little relief in this evening if that doesn't do it then I guess though I don't to I will raise the action.
Thanks again

mbbreen

Reaction score
DoneOne to answer your questions:

1. what strings were on it when you got it?
- unknown they were very corroded and totally shot, tried checking gauge with caliper and they seemed to be 10/11 so I installed 10s.
2. How low did you have your action set?
- Can't give you the exact measurement but I do have them fairly low. about low-side 6/64 high-side 4/64.
Does the buzzing go away when you add string tension by tuning the string up a step or so?
- actually it does really improve to the point it is almost gone on the D:

DoneOne

Reaction score
5. Full Setup has been done (twice).
thanks... I'm thinking it'll be fine after adjusting the rod a bit to add relief. I'm guessing the second setup you mentioned was when he leveled the frets. To do that, he got the board flat before leveling the frets, then readjusted during the setup. It probably played fine when he finished with it, but over a day or two, your neck really wanted to straighten up. Tweak it and let it settle for a day and rinse and repeat if needed.

mbbreen

Reaction score
Thanks Done,
When I first got this LP about 2 months ago she apparently had been sitting somewhere for a while and I don't think in the best of places thus the corroded strings and fret wires she originally had. The neck luckily wasn't twisted or warped but it needed some serious truss adjustment back then, I guess maybe she is still healing up from a abusive past.
I'll adjust the truss rod later today and post results tomorrow.

Thanks again
Mike

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Does the buzzing go away when you add string tension by tuning the string up a step or so?
- actually it does really improve to the point it is almost gone on the D:
There's your answer. Release the truss rod a bit. Nicely done, Done.

mbbreen

Reaction score
Ok added a little relief in and seems much better but will wait and see if she changes again.

Thanks

mbbreen

Reaction score
Thank you all for the advice and feedback.
I had to adjust the truss 2 times and redo the setup but the buzzing is pretty much gone.
The hardest part was the waiting between the truss adjustments.

Thanks Again

Mike

Latest Threads