85' tokai strat - need advice!

Jonathan

Reaction score
I'm looking for a decent strat, not too expensive. I spoke to my local guitar dealer who i selling and buying second hand guitars of all sorts. I told him that I want a dirty blues strat with a powerfull tone. A guitar im gonna use for blues/grunge/rock. He loves to customize guitars and he is not a dealer of a particular guitar brand. I return a couple of days later and he tells me that he can perhaps get a 85' tokai strat, "cream white" and RW-Neck. He wil put some custom PU's in it for me depending on what tone i want.
I spoke with a strat-guy i know who is also a guitar builder and he said to me that those 70's and 80's japanese tokai and squire strats are really great and can easily compare to mex/US strats.
I wont decide anything before i've tried the guitar, OFC, but I would like some information on the subject. What are your experiences with those strats?

Thank you in advance
ROCK on!
:thumb:

overdriver

Banned
Reaction score
Yes those in general are well made guitars the MIJ ones .They had some they called springy sound models and then goldstar. I am not sure what the difference. But they are pretty good. depends on the condition etc. and price. IMO I would not pay big bucks for one. Considering the MIM classic and deluxe series are IMO as good. Also the squier Classic Vibe from China are good as well.

I think the springy sound where the first North American ones and dead on copies of 50's and 60's Strats. with a few changes on the gold star from the 80's forced to change by Fender if I remember right.
And changed again latter.

BrianGT

Reaction score
I own a Tokai Strat, it's a little older than the one you are looking at. I have had it since 1985 but it was a few years old when I got it.
I have owned 3 Fender relics and a lot of regular Strats but this is the only one I have kept.
When it came out Tokai made them like a 50's Strat when Fender were going through a rough patch with very heavy 70's Strat's that were straying away from the original idea.
It plays and sounds fabulous, I have changed the pickups to Shed relics and it is a great guitar.
It's the Lawsuit model and you can see why Fender took them to court.........

I would seriously be looking at that guitar...it may well be a cracker!

briansguitars026.jpg

briansguitars038.jpg

briansguitars027.jpg

briansguitars040.jpg

EEF13

Reaction score
I would think the 80's Toaki Strats would sound better than a MIM Fender

overdriver

Banned
Reaction score
I would think the 80's Toaki Strats would sound better than a MIM Fender

Depends on which MIM I had 2 spingy sound model . bought em new when they first came to Canada. Nice guitars but I wouldn't say they where any better than my current MIM classic models.
I think when I bought the Tokai I paid like 275$ each. It was neat a repair guy at L&M phoned me when they got em, said " man come down and check these out!" so I did they had 16 or them to pick through . I got a 2 tone 50 style and a CAR with extreme flamed malpe /rw 60's style. The neck twisted on the 60's.

EEF13

Reaction score
Which do you think has the better choice woods? The Tokai or MIM?

overdriver

Banned
Reaction score
Which do you think has the better choice woods? The Tokai or MIM?

Hard to say , I think pre 2002 MIM classic which is IMO not as nice as what the springy sound where. But the current MIM classic are made of 3 piece alder now a days . The springy sound 50's I had was very plain 3 piece , Like I say my 60's style Tokai neck twisted so. I have only had 2 guitar necks twist on me the Tokai and an Ibanez Artist AS200 from around the same year .Both MIJ guitars

I have had Fender squier series and Squier by fender MIJ very nice guitars as well. Again IMO the MIM classic are as nice the belly contour on the MIM is not as deep but. doesn't bother me.

Latest Threads