82 Custom? Hmm

bungle

Reaction score
I think it’s a studio custom :dunno:found this.
3BA00407-C56F-4759-92A3-A239B8AEB292.jpeg

Daniel.S

Reaction score
:squint:What this be? Dot inlays, gold hardware binding & script headstock. A tad clowny. I’m out of town working or I would go check it out. https://nanaimo.craigslist.org/msg/d/port-alberni-les-paul-custom/7015436719.html
That’s cool! I’m not sure what it is, but it’s a norlin. :)
I’m always up to learning something new about norlin models.
I’d say that most of the norlin’s I have seen in that colour combo are that ‘clowny’ looking.
Sorry I can’t help you more, but two photos don’t help. Tell the seller to send you some back and cavity shots so we can see what the neck is and if the electronics have been messed with.

ARandall

Reaction score
The Studio series started in the early 80's, so its somewhat unexpected IMO for the different variations (studio standard or studio custom) to have been about so early as well.

bungle

Reaction score
After some patient research. Made from 83 to 85 Studio Custom. When they were coming up with the studio design. Good chance their Tim Shaw pups. Bound neck & 3 ply trim on top. If it’s still there when I get home I’m goina check it out. Some had ebony, some rosewood boards. Thanks for joining in, was like I was talking to my self out loud.:rofl:

bblooz

Reaction score
Definitely cool piece. I had a Studio Standard about 20 years ago. This one looks almost identical except for the gold hardware.

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't know. When I hear Les Paul Custom, it'd better have a bound ebony board with mother of pearl inlays and a split diamond in the headstock. All else is an unfortunate misnomer.

DarrellV

just Livin' the Dream....
Premium Member
Reaction score
Beats me how @MSB missed this..... He must be getting old and feeble...:dunno:

He'll be joining @scozz on the golf course pretty soon, you watch! :laugh2:

Studio standards and customs were just another sign of the times during the fertile days of the Norlin 80's.

Alder tops on these too.... IIRC

Clown finish at no extra charge! :thumb:

Deftone

Reaction score
Yea, Studio Custom. I've seen those. Kinda cool.

bungle

Reaction score
Heres what I found. Hog body,maple top. but I remember some early studios being alder. :dunno: Studio Custom
The Studio Custom was produced in 1983-1985. It was introduced before the design of the Studio was finalized, and mostly had the features of a Standard with a variety of features mixed in from other models. It had a mahogany neck and mahogany body with a maple top, single-ply binding around the neck and three-ply binding around the top of the body only, and gold hardware with black pickup rings and pick guard. The 1984 models had two-piece tops, while 1985 models had three-piece tops. The fingerboard was made from rosewood on some models, ebony on others, and had mother of pearl dots for inlays, instead of the usual trapezoids. The neck profile was slim-tapered, like a Standard, and the frets were low, like a "Fretless Wonder" Custom. According to limited information from guitar forums, some of these had the sought-after Tim Shaw pickups.

DarrellV

Premium Member
Reaction score
Heres what I found. Hog body,maple top. but I remember some early studios being alder. :dunno: Studio Custom
The Studio Custom was produced in 1983-1985. It was introduced before the design of the Studio was finalized, and mostly had the features of a Standard with a variety of features mixed in from other models. It had a mahogany neck and mahogany body with a maple top, single-ply binding around the neck and three-ply binding around the top of the body only, and gold hardware with black pickup rings and pick guard. The 1984 models had two-piece tops, while 1985 models had three-piece tops. The fingerboard was made from rosewood on some models, ebony on others, and had mother of pearl dots for inlays, instead of the usual trapezoids. The neck profile was slim-tapered, like a Standard, and the frets were low, like a "Fretless Wonder" Custom. According to limited information from guitar forums, some of these had the sought-after Tim Shaw pickups.
Could be the customs were maple, being customs and all...

But I'm pretty sure MSB's and Pappy's Standards are alder...

bungle

Reaction score
More Norlin titbits..Initially made of alder from 1983-1985, Gibson moved back to maple top/mahogany body combination after the alder body proved prone to lacquer problems. This is the regular Studio. Friggin auto uncorrect :)

MSB

Reaction score
Beats me how @MSB missed this..... He must be getting old and feeble...:dunno:

He'll be joining @scozz on the golf course pretty soon, you watch! :laugh2:

I guess I had that coming after the other day. Now that i'm closer to 40 than 30, I guess I am getting up there, but as far as golf... I played A LOT in HS and was on the team, but haven't touched a club in awhile, but I'll never miss a chance to abuse a golf cart.

I never really investigated what top mine was, how would you on a solid painted top? It is multiple pieces though. As far as the neck, mine is an oddball. It feels wider (closest to my '15 that i've found on any Gibson) and its got some girth, its not R8 sized, but I've got the measurements somewhere around here and it gave the typical '50s neck a run. I also never went too far on the neck material. Inside the cavity its sprayed black and the consensus was to scrape some paint off to see the color and (8ish years ago) I didn't care enough and haven't looked since. It is a Rosie board though.

as stupid as it sounds, I bought it b/c its red, little did i know all the other pluses i would find out about it after the fact. And I think it is the only guitar that I didn't try to negotiate, I ponied up the asking price.

DarrellV

Premium Member
Reaction score
as stupid as it sounds, I bought it b/c its red, little did i know all the other pluses i would find out about it after the fact. And I think it is the only guitar that I didn't try to negotiate, I ponied up the asking price.
Not that stupid... I pretty much did the same for mine! :laugh2:

Bought it for the color, found out about Shaws and Norlins, and magical 82's well after the fact.

The golf joke was a long standing jibe with Scozzy that only old folks with nothing better to do play golf...
Rather watch paint peel than golf on TV! :laugh2:

You wait, I'll catch heck for it when he logs in! :Ohno:

scozz

Reaction score
Beats me how @MSB missed this..... He must be getting old and feeble...He'll be joining @scozz on the golf course pretty soon, you watch! :laugh2:
Heck yeah, I’ll treat him for a round of golf down here! It’s perfect weather for golf this time of year,...and it’s only $25.00 for 18 holes including the cart!!

Can’t beat that!!

Here’s the forecast for the next few days where I live,....how’s the weather where you are @DarrellV?