81 Les Paul Custom, Help With Value?

The Ballzz

Reaction score
Hi Folks,
I have available to me a 1981 (I think) Les Paul Custom:
A) Originally alpine white, now pretty creamy.
B) Light buckle rash on the back that doesn't go through to wood and is more like squiggly dents in the finish.
C) Original pups are gone and has some Dimarzios or Seymour Duncans.
D) Medium fret wear/divots, but with enough meat left for a good level/crown/polish.
E) Generally good condition, with a bit of wear on the gold hardware and a few little dings, here and there, commensurate with a guitar that's been played at least a bit for 35 years. It has a couple long cracks in the finish on the front, seemingly at the seams of the maple top.
Anyone care to offer an opinion on it's realistic value? I probably need to move on it kinda quick, if I want it!
Here's a few crappy cell phone pics:

IMG_0205.JPG
IMG_0207.JPG
IMG_0208.JPG

Thanks Folks,
Gene

Last edited:

The Ballzz

Reaction score
So if I could possibly skank it for less than $1500, I likely won't get hurt if I decide to sell it? It does not have the expected "CHAINSAW" case, but instead a fairly flimsy brown Gibson case.
Thanks,
Gene

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
if you can get it for $1500 do it....I have a chainsaw case for sale.

probably an $1800-$2000 guitar.

scozz

Reaction score
Too bad it doesn't still have the Shaws. The owner didn't keep them?

The Ballzz

Reaction score
Do we think this guitar would be better for resale with it's current pickups or a set of gold humbuckers that I have. I still need to more accurately identify the pups, but I know they are from a late 80's to early 90's Les Paul Custom. In DC resistance the bridge reads 14.10K and the neck, 8.47K. Any idea what these pups may be? The only markings are the stamped PAT NO. 2,737,842 on the base plates.
Thanks Folks,
Gene

Kris Ford

Reaction score
Yep, early 500T/496R set I'd guess...IF there are 3 magnets in the bridge pickup..otherwise, I'd say 498T/490R set.

The Ballzz

Reaction score
I thought the Dirty Fingers had four wires? These have the standard braided shield, single center conductor wire. I was thinking maybe a version of Burstbucker? I'll get some pics after I get back from "stealing" this guitar! :naughty:
Thanks,
Gene

Kris Ford

Reaction score
I thought the Dirty Fingers had four wires? These have the standard braided shield, single center conductor wire. I was thinking maybe a version of Burstbucker? I'll get some pics after I get back from "stealing" this guitar! :naughty:
Thanks,
Gene
Too early for Burstbucker Gene..they could only be the 500T/496R set or the 498T/490R set...which did come as you describe..I have a 500T like that..and it fits under a 70's T Top cover..

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
agreed who.....no rreal change except the appearence...I think that is what Gene meant.

lets hope he gets it....we need some new Norlin Blood.....we have been a little stale....especially ME!

Reactions: Who

The Ballzz

Reaction score
Still need to get pics of the pups and more pics of this really playable instrument, but man "O" man, it's a boat anchor at an even 12 pounds! :wow: Time to clean the work bench and dig into makin' this all it can be. I may give it a "gentle" fret level/crown/polish, but first I'll give it a good setup before I decide yay or nay!
Thanks,
Gene

The Ballzz

Reaction score
TWELVE POUNDS?! Holy Schmokes.

You know you need to tell us what you paid, right? :naughty:
Well, maybe after I tell you how much I get. :naughty: Let's just say that I actually "robbed" a pawn shop! :beer::doh::cheers2: This is my first planned flip. Now, I just need to discipline this poor lost puppy to make sure it "DOES NOT" give me the sad eyes and try to bond with me. I think I can, I think I can, I think I.......yeah, RIGHT! That fargen Einstein dude is again rearing his disheveled, fuzzy head, spouting his logical equations!

einstein_on_guitars.jpg

Gene

Iron Blimp

Reaction score
In my neck of the woods that guitar will go all day for $2500. white LPC's (especially yellowed) get more money as a rule. I have never seen a white custom go for $1500 ever. Just my 2€....

The Ballzz

Reaction score
In my neck of the woods that guitar will go all day for $2500. white LPC's (especially yellowed) get more money as a rule. I have never seen a white custom go for $1500 ever. Just my 2€....
Well that's very good to hear! :cheers: I hope it's similar in my neck of the woods! :naughty: I just gotta keep reminding myself that I don't like binding on fingerboards.:rolleyes: And a 12 pound guitar is just too heavy for any sane person to own.:facepalm:

Thanks,
Gene

The Ballzz

Reaction score
Oh sh!t, I think I'm in trouble! :run: While sitting here sipping my scotch, I've not been able to put this guitar down (except for refills, of course) long enough to even change the old crusty strings. :beer:It needs very little in the setup department and it's pretty obvious this was owned by a player! I've not even yet plugged it in (except at the pawn shop to confirm functionality), as I kinda know what these pups will probably sound like. On the other hand, the more I play it, the more I think that I owe this guitar and the former owner who obviously poured so many years of lovin' into it and has likely passed, the respect and homage to at least get it back to the top level of "his" glory and rock it a bit! It may actually be kinda stellar, as it is! :cool2: Then, once I've put it through it's paces, I can decide how far to go into it and whether or not to even sell it. I think this is gonna be a hard one to let go!:eek: This was supposed to be a planned flip! The wife is gonna cut my nutzz off. Oh well, she's already got 'em in a vice! :rolleyes: I'm trying to convince her that buying and selling guitars can be profitable, while being able to keep the "CHOICE" pieces, but the problem is, that if they're actually nice, I fall in love and wanna keep 'em!:naughty: GAS is a real disease!

Just Sayin'
Gene

Kris Ford

Reaction score
I somehow knew it would "grab" ya...they have a way of doing that..and those pickups are meant to punish a NMV Marshall' pre-amp. I bet that guitar had a heavy metal, or even Southern Rock past. :D

1981 LPC

Reaction score
1500 is a great price. Looks schweet too.

But man... 12 pounds... that seems heavy to lug around. Mine is 10 lbs. and that already feels up there. How does is feel on your shoulder?

Latest Threads