80's Super Distortion wiring

Musha Ring

Reaction score
I've got a lead :io:on an 80s Dimarzio Super Distortion and the guy is selling it quite cheap. $60 Canadian.

It appears to have an extra wire that I don't see on any other SDs and I'm hoping you folks can tell me what it is. I'd like to avoid it if it's been modded. The wire in question is the very short white one coming out the back of the pickup where the main black lead comes out. Seller says its for coil tapping, but it's only about 2 inches long?

20210607_112331.jpg

20210607_112319.jpg

Last edited:

jim777

Reaction score
There was no coil tapping on the Super D in the 80's. There was, however, a 4 wire version of the Super Distortion sold as the 'Dual Sound' humbucker. That may be what you're looking at here. Coil wise and wind wise it will be identical to a Super Distortion if it's a legit Dual Sound.

BKS

Reaction score
That is a dual sound yes. Have double cream in my Fernandes js90 and i got a double black from the same guy with a double whammy. Nice pickup identical to the super d except for the lead wire...

Musha Ring

Reaction score
That is a dual sound yes. Have double cream in my Fernandes js90 and i got a double black from the same guy with a double whammy. Nice pickup identical to the super d except for the lead wire...
Is it worth the $60?

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
I have a bunch of Dual Sounds and have seen many more. DiMarzio definitely used a variety of hookup lead types to do the wiring on them but I have not seen one with an additional wire outside of the shielded lead. That doesn't mean they didn't, just that I haven't seen it quite like that yet and that one with the triangle feet is later in the game and I think they would have sorted out their methods by that point. ...but I'm also not an 80's DiMarzio expert. That's a little later than my main area of interest / focus on pickups.

Some photos of the sides, showing the tape would be helpful in determining it it has been altered or not.

Latest Threads