8 ohms mixed with 16 ohms?

A Blind Nun

Reaction score
I have a Marshall 4x12 that when I bought it the speakers had been replaced with 3 8 ohm celestion speakers and 1 blown out G12-T75 16 ohm, so I basically have a 3x12. I want to replace all the speakers in the cab with 16 ohm speakers, two V30's and two G12-T75's, but at the moment all I can afford is the T75's. In short, can I temporarily mix two 16 ohms and two 8 ohms? My amp puts out 8 ohms out of its primary speaker jack.

RickRandom

Home for wayward Gibsons
Reaction score
Depending on how you wire two 8s and two 16s, the cab would be 12 ohms or 10.6 ohms. The tone may be a bit off but it shouldn't harm the amp.

JakeM

Reaction score
The tone of the amp won't be put off. There is no audible sound difference between ohms. You could wire:
-The two 8ohm speakers in series
-The two 16ohms in series/parallel
(this way you will essentially have two 2 by 12 sets in one cab)

-Then you would have to wire these four together in series/parallel and would have one jack at 16ohms for your amp

hope that helps, there is a sticky at the top of the page with some wiring diagrams to help you out

jake

dwagar

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The tone of the amp won't be put off. There is no audible sound difference between ohms. You could wire:
-The two 8ohm speakers in series
-The two 16ohms in series/parallel
(this way you will essentially have two 2 by 12 sets in one cab)

-Then you would have to wire these four together in series/parallel and would have one jack at 16ohms for your amp

jake

what? how are you going to hook 2 speakers in series and parallel?

If your only option is 8 ohms on the head, why aren't you sticking with 8 ohm speakers? 4 8 ohm speakers in series/parallel is an 8 ohm cab. Maybe you could get by with only replacing the blown speaker for now.

VastHorizon

Reaction score
Wire the 2 16 ohms in parallel and live with a 2x12 for now.

rocknhorse1

Reaction score
If you go to "Ear Candy Guitar Cabinets" website they did a test measuring the impedance of a bunch of different ohm rated speakers. I cant remember where on the site it is, but it is there. I would suggest measuring the actual ohm readings of each speaker that you have, they are never exactly "8" or "16" ohms. My 16 ohm speakers are like 15.7, or 15.2, something like that.

dwagar

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
that's because it's impedance, not resistance.

rocknhorse1

Reaction score
that's because it's impedance, not resistance.

I meant impedance. If you measure a 16 ohm speaker, it won't measure 16 ohms. The Ear Candy site has the same result posted. It's just an ohm reading taken with a multimeter.
Here is the link

http://www.earcandycabs.com/index.php/category/tech/

And as far as what they say, resistance is pretty much the same as impedance is the same as ohms is the same as load.
Their 16 ohm speaker measured 13 ohms.

JakeM

Reaction score
Dwager, in the diagram in the OHMS sticky you can wire a 2 by 12 in series parallel. look at it.

jake

dwagar

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Jake, I don't know what you were looking at, perhaps a cab with a switch for either series or parallel.

In a 4 speaker cab, series/parallel means you hook 2 pairs together in parallel: eg 2 8ohm speakers in parallel would be 4 ohms for each pair, hook those 4 ohm pairs together in series and you get 8 ohms.

If you tried hooking 2 speakers together in parallel, then jumper them into series, you're just going to short all the terminals together, right?

JakeM

Reaction score
I guess you are right Dwager, I looked again and it's actually in parallel but if you do one pair in parallel and another in series can you not then wire both pairs in series?

jake

dwagar

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
sure, you still can't get a match using 2 8's and 2 16's though.

I'm not sure why the OP isn't just using 4 8 ohm speakers (with an 8 ohm head)

Latest Threads