7's

Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles loves you. Mwah! ♥
Reaction score
I just keep thinking that peep's are gonna put these things on and have to loosen the truss rod all the way out - and some guitars ain't gonna play right. Seems unlikely a guitar's truss rod adjustment could be made to suit anything from .007" to say .013". On the other hand, Fender's Bi-Flex would work in this situation.

J-Dizzle

Reaction score
I play 9-46 today, but when I was young I learned how to play using 8s.

8s really let you dig in and bend the strings easier, which was good when I wasn't very experienced. I actually think playing 8s helped me develop my own style, a feature of my playing today is wide bends and heavy vibrato.

But I think 7s just wouldn't feel right, especially for an experienced player.

X–Ray

Cowbell by Misadventure
Reaction score
"But I think 7s just wouldn't feel right, especially for an experienced player."

Hmmm....

As an "experienced" player with 52 years of shakin' them strings they feel just right to me

I would posit any experienced player could adjust their playing to 7s if necessary or desired

It's more a matter of whether they would want stay with that guage or not

To make any generalizations about what experienced players deem feels right or not is akin to me saying because I like them others with my experience will as well....

:thumb:

Zylo

Reaction score
Made the switch a couple of months ago from Stay-In-Tune 9s to Rev. Willy's 7s

Have them on my LPs, Strat and Tele

Since I play with a super light touch, not much of an adjustment for me but I can see how one would have to approach bends and vibrato without overplaying

Didn't have have to readjust the intonation on any of the guitars

My Strat now feels like I'm playing a buttery Les Paul - which I love

If you're someone like me who plays on the light side and likes light guaged strings, these are a heavy improvement

For once, a product that’s not hype

While definitely not everyone's cup of tea, highly recommend to those so inclined....
4 years later...not if you are still here? just in case, 7s on your LP, did you have to adjust set up, neck relief etc please?

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Back to the original question about whether massive set-up would be required switching to 7s. The answer depends on the gauge your guitar is set up for now. If you are currently set up for heavier strings, a truss rod adjust may be required.

Zylo

Reaction score
im on 10s at the moment with mu LP - and im not comfy playing with neck relief etc..

i was thinking of putting it on my Tele that has 9s on it- just so i can experience 7s... main thing i dont want to mess with the neck..........

with my LP if i put 9s would i need to play with relief then or will i get away with it pls?

six-string

Reaction score
7s ? i had no idea they even made 7's .
that would be like using pubic hair on a guitar. how do you keep it in tune?
i find anything less than 10s is like playing with limp spaghetti noodles.

blackat

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The strings on my Rock Hero guitar are just perfet!

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some unknown dude called Billy Gibbons uses them ..
*markets

This page is shared from time to time, and it certainly does have some inaccuracies, but it lists Gibbons as using 8s.

parts

Reaction score
I've been playing EB 9s since they came out in mid late 60s.... Before that made sets from Banjo strings and Gibson "lights",,

TheX

Still Alive and Well
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been playing EB 9s since they came out in mid late 60s.... Before that made sets from Banjo strings and Gibson "lights",,
I enjoys 9's at times. Very easy to get used to. The 7's and I were never going to get along. I gave them 30 days but they just aren't for me.

X–Ray

Cowbell by Misadventure
Reaction score
4 years later...not if you are still here? just in case, 7s on your LP, did you have to adjust set up, neck relief etc please?
Yep, still using and loving them...

No adjustments whatsoever to my LPs, Strats or Teles - only to my playing.

Clean technique is critical, especially when chording and bending.

I Break Things

Reaction score
I used them for quite awhile. They're definitely fun, easy for bends and vibrato, and easier on the hands.

I couldn't stick with them though. I like to play punk, and they just float about when you hit them really hard. I like being able to hammer the strings and tune to Eb. 7's just aren't the best for that.

Currently using 10's on my LP and PRS, and 9's on everything with a 25.5" scale. Not heavy strings by any means, but they stay put and in tune best for me. 11's are nice too, but my carpal tunnel can only take so much.

Latest Threads