79 conversion thoughts

Josh_of_CYWG

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I just wanted to get everyone’s opinion on an idea I have. My favourite Les Paul from the Norlin era has always been the 25/50, however they made no lefties so I was thinking maybe converting my 79 custom to a 25/50 while not doing any permanent modifications (re-finish, routes etc. None of that) what does everyone think of the idea, don’t be afraid to be honest.
2DF99935-95EA-478F-802A-D3D5BBE63E84.jpeg

strayedstrater

Reaction score
I don't understand what you're hoping to do? Other than the tuners and tailpiece, everything that made the 25/50 different would require major, permanent mods.

Jeremiah

The Worst
Reaction score
yeah wasn't the 25/50 one of the first reissues? you'd be better off just getting a routed Deluxe

oops nevermind, so you're looking at a replacement fretboard and a replacement neck at bare minimum to even come close, and even then, you wouldn't really be. I personally wouldn't do it, but if you think it is worth it, go for it. I'm still confused about the nothing permanent comment, every change you would make would need to be, unless you're just talking about getting a TP-6 tailpiece, in which case...ok?

Last edited:

Josh_of_CYWG

Reaction score
yeah wasn't the 25/50 one of the first reissues? you'd be better off just getting a routed Deluxe

oops nevermind, so you're looking at a replacement fretboard and a replacement neck at bare minimum to even come close, and even then, you wouldn't really be. I personally wouldn't do it, but if you think it is worth it, go for it. I'm still confused about the nothing permanent comment, every change you would make would need to be, unless you're just talking about getting a TP-6 tailpiece, in which case...ok?
Well I’m more talking about everything, plastics bushings tailpiece tuners etc, basically all the hardware

Josh_of_CYWG

Reaction score
I
I don't understand what you're hoping to do? Other than the tuners and tailpiece, everything that made the 25/50 different would require major, permanent mods.
just wanna get as close to a 25/50 as I can without butchering my Les Paul

strayedstrater

Reaction score
I don't think the bridge bushings/anchors are available anywhere. And I'm not sure but I suspect that they require larger holes in the body. But if you can find them and they fit the holes for the Nashville bushings, no problem.

Slapping on a set of speed knobs, a TP-6 tailpiece, silver buttons on the tuners, and a metal truss rod cover aren't a big deal. Keep the old parts.

I'm not aware of any differences in the pickup rings, but if 25/50's had taller vintage style rings, swapping those is also an non- objectional change. Again keep the stock parts for posterity.

Putting a brass nut on risks damaging the original nut. But if someone ever wants to remove the brass nut, a replacement bone nut wouldn't bother anybody. (And there's a chance the original might come off in one reusable piece.)
----------------------------
Speed knobs and TP-6's were used on other '70s LPC's. And lots of people have put metal truss rod covers on Les Pauls. So to me changing all the hardware wouldn't make it even vaguely like a 25/50.

But whatever floats your boat -- no reversible change is any problem at all.

ARandall

Reaction score
Nothing visual you will do without major surgery is going to make it in any way resemble your goal.
All it will look like is a regular Custom with fractionally different hardware.

Josh_of_CYWG

Reaction score
Nothing visual you will do without major surgery is going to make it in any way resemble your goal.
All it will look like is a regular Custom with fractionally different hardware.
I know but I don’t really know what else to do, I’ve always wanted a 25/50 but there’s no lefties out there

ARandall

Reaction score
Like me, you have to either accept that you will never have one, commission a custom builder to make a close copy for you....or learn to make guitars from scratch (as I have done) to make for yourself every guitar that you want and have no opportunity to own.

strayedstrater

Reaction score
I haven't looked at 25/50 prices in a long while, but I assume they're astronomical. So the price of a custom build might be less.

Wouldn't hurt to check with Gibson's M2M program. There's some things that they can't/won't do -- probably not the odd bushings, probably not the 25/50 headstock inlays, maybe not the 5 piece neck.

But they'd certainly do a lefty with Super 400 -- 25/50 inlays.

Latest Threads