78 Explorer tuners help

dbwalker

Reaction score
So I picked up a 78 Explorer that needs a bit of work, at some point the guitar fell off a stand and took a hit on the high E tuner "these are the 6 on a plate" their all pretty worn out reguardless and Im looking for replacements, Klusons 6 on a plate all measurements except plate length are correct, the Klusons are 5 7/8 plate length the original is 6" even, the ends of the plate are shaped a bit different, also wondering if tte screw holes will line up, im wondering if anyone has any ideas on if there is a correct fit after market 6 on a plate for these guitars or any other ideas

Attachments

Last edited:

dbwalker

Reaction score
Doesn't the Kluson site give the hole dimensions?.
Al
Unfortunately no, they give all the other dimensions but not the screw holes, I think im just gonna buy the klusons and worse case scenario maybe I can switch them on to the original plate, just gonna be a pain to bend all the little metal tabs and resecure them without breaking any

dbwalker

Reaction score
For anyone else looking for the same info: i went ahead and installed the Kluson 6 on a plate tuners, screw holes and all lined up perfectly, only 2 issues with the new tuners, the kluson bushings are a slight different outer dimension "more of a cours thread" so just used the originals with no problem, and as I expected the plate itself is shorter, but all in all they work perfect with zero modifications to the guitar, the more I looked at them I decided not to attempt taking them all apart to use the original plate with the new tuners

Latest Threads