78 Deluxe howling

corvairdoug

Reaction score
Hey!
I have a 1978 Gibson LP Deluxe, with the mini humbuckers. The problem I'm having, it howls like crazy with any substantial amount of gain used on the amp.
Any ideas why such a big difference?
I'm not very familiar with the old 70's mini pups, but I'm betting that's the answer. Thinking maybe they need to be potted. Anybody have any experience with this?
Thanks!

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
let that be your last option.......you can never "undo" that.

first thing is to remove the covers and see if they have become microphonic because the cover is touching a pole piece.

Or just sell me the guitar cheap and you will not have to worry about it......

DarrellV

just Livin' the Dream....
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey!
I have a 1978 Gibson LP Deluxe, with the mini humbuckers. The problem I'm having, it howls like crazy with any substantial amount of gain used on the amp.
Any ideas why such a big difference?
I'm not very familiar with the old 70's mini pups, but I'm betting that's the answer. Thinking maybe they need to be potted. Anybody have any experience with this?
Thanks!
Hello!

There could be a few reasons they are squealing so before potting you can check these first...

Given the age of the pickups it is possible things have shrunken and loosened on the pickups.

You will need to remove them, its not hard and flip them over.

What they look like inside...

As you can see, there is nothing really holding the parts together inside. These were made to be held together with the covers...

You may need to unsolder the covers and with a small C-clamp, gently apply pressure to the back plate and cover, then re-solder them and let them cool..

As an extra pre caution you could unsolder and remove the covers and put a small piece of electric tape over the coils first (except the screws) and then clamp back together and solder.

This would help eliminate any coil movement that would cause feedback problems by vibrating in the loud signal....